Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nobody can copy/steal what you've written because UCAS will obviously detect this. I understand how you feel considering how much effort you have put into compared to others, so you could have a word with your teacher and ask her not to share it with everybody.
    Just tell your teacher that you dont want them to share it with anyone else. If your teacher does share it with anyone else then speak to your head of year or someone about it.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that you dont share it because if your other class mates havent started it yet, then they'lll probably copy parts of your work.

Im sure your teacher will understand.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let her. You're at risk of being plagiarised, and in turn, being 'caught' plagiarising because your statement may be too similar to someone else's.

Your personal statement is not there to serve as inspiration to other students. It serves as a means to beat the applications of other students.

ReputationRep:
    If your teacher knew how apprehensive and upset you are about this, they wouldn't share it (I'm assuming he/she has any sense of decency). It is YOUR work after all. Just tell her you worked really hard on it, and you don't feel comfortable sharing it with your class; but if she really is bent on the idea then just say that you'll offer advice or something. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with, OP- you've done well and you don't owe anybody anything.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for heaven sakes. Unless you put something really embarrassing or something, why do you care. In fact I'd be quite smug that the teacher would want to use mine to show how a PS should be.

If you've already put it on UCAS, the others can't copy. If they did, they will get in trouble, not you.

EDIT- Wait, have you already finished your UCAS? If not, then I understand. Because someone could copy it and then finish their application before you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Report it.
    This (y)

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, i'd say no, if someone wants to come and ask me for my personal statement, of course i'll give them a copy, but they would have made the effort to do so, so, i'd tell her she can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent Man)
    Oh for heaven sakes. Unless you put something really embarrassing or something, why do you care. In fact I'd be quite smug that the teacher would want to use mine to show how a PS should be.

If you've already put it on UCAS, the others can't copy. If they did, they will get in trouble, not you.

EDIT- Wait, have you already finished your UCAS? If not, then I understand. Because someone could copy it and then finish their application before you.
    It doesn't matter whether or not the OP has finished her application already- they could still suspect her of being that person ^

Just tell your tutor you're not happy with sharing it, and ask her to give the class some examples of her own; if she's been teaching long enough, she should have seen a fair few PSs and be able to give hints as to what is decent and what is not.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone saying that other people copying it will be detected by UCAS Plagiarism Software? Surely the software has no idea who originally wrote the statement, so the OP could get into trouble as well.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are all applying for the same course at the same unis what difference will it make? It's not going to hurt your application and will bolster your friends.........

ReputationRep:
    Tell her that it's called a PERSONAL statement for a reason and that she's put you in a very difficult situation by going behind your back - she had NO right to do that, especially as you hadn't even given consent yet!
    You should also say that you were considering letting people have a look but now that she's backed you into a corner you won't, just so she feels worse about what she's done.

What is it with tutors around UCAS time? They're always so uselessssss

ReputationRep:
    I understand your feelings, and also I'd be really worried about plagiarism. If someone did copy something and UCAS detected it then what proof have you that your statement was the original and they copied.

I'd maybe draw up a rough outline of the structure of your PS and say the teacher can hand out that (the actual words would have the be each students own anyway) and maybe give advice if your friends ask, but it's your PS, just tell the teacher you don't want it shown to anyone, and if they ask why say you're concerned about plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    report what?

You know just tell her you're not comfortable sharing you work to the class or any of the content. But surely helping others to have a platform of what to write is not a bad thing.
    Besides if anyone did copy the content of your PS they're going to get problems for it
    What does personal mean to you? To me and the majority of others, it kind of entails a sense of privacy and self-ownership. It is called a personal statement, not a impersonal statement for a reason. A teacher has a no authority to show a pupil's statement to another pupil.

Tell the teacher to stop, if not report him or her.

ReputationRep:
    PERSONAL statement
    She really shouldn't share it around if you haven't given permission!
    You should explain your feelings to her about this and if she doesn't listen, go and talk to a higher up

ReputationRep:
    tell your teacher you'd rather she didn't share it with the class because you don't really want them seeing everything you've written. she shouldn't have suggested it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaliciax)

What should i say/do?
    Don't share it!
    Plagiarism waiting to happen, and you'll get done just like the people who are actually at fault. Point this out to the teacher, and the fact that sharing a PS seems ridiculous unless everyone else is applying for the same course. There are plenty of examples that people could look at online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    What does personal mean to you? To me and the majority of others, it kind of entails a sense of privacy and self-ownership. It is called a personal statement, not a impersonal statement for a reason. A teacher has a no authority to show a pupil's statement to another pupil.

Tell the teacher to stop, if not report him or her.
    It's personal in that it's a statement about you as a person. It is no means private at all - it will be read by at least 10 admissions staff, probably more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaliciax)
    Hiya
    I'm the first one in the class to hand in my personal statement, and my teacher has offered me no help and guidance and has not even marked it yet and won't help me with regards with what to cut down.

She is pretty shocked that my personal statement has turned out well (in her opinion) and now wants my permission to share it with the class, a lot of the people in my class have made no effort like i have, i have spent weeks on my PS and have read journals, books, watched documentaries and researched. While i was absent she said to the class that she was sure that I would help and share ideas and let them see my statement, i feel awkward and gutted as I don't want to seem mean and selfish

Also, whether I allow them to see it or not, my teacher is going to take ideas from mine and share them and I really feel sad about this
    I know this sounds selfish but everyone in my class has been lazy and haven't even began planning theirs

What should i say/do?
    Say NO and don't feel bad about it. It's yours and what she is proposing is unethical and wrong - it's also not helping the others because if they decide to copy part or all of your personal statement they could be done for plagiarism' so don't feel bad about saying no - she should know better than to ask you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan656)
    It's personal in that it's a statement about you as a person. It is no means private at all - it will be read by at least 10 admissions staff, probably more.
    Right and my passport will be seen by more than a dozen of people in my life time. As will my driving licence, Birth certificate, utility bill and debit card. Difference is they are seen by people who need to see them, nothing more and nothing less. They still remain private documents, as they are only seen by those immediately concerned. You can have something private but still have millions of people use it, look at private property. I can have a house and allow a member of public to rent it, it is still my private property. Private is defined by self-ownership and some ones personal statement is in private hands.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.