Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much ******** myself tbh. I've wanted to go to Cambridge since I first visited 6 years ago, but my GCSE results were extremely disappointing and did not reflect my ability in my opinion

I did them this year and I got 1 A*, 7 As and 2 Cs (I'm resitting this Cs this year, will probably get an A* and an A). I did them at a school that has a GCSE pass rate of less than 50%. I'm doing my A levels at the same school, but their A level results are far better and I'm willing to put the extra work in anyway.

What were your results? And did you go to a good school?

ReputationRep:
    what were your results before?, aint you happy with the grades you got this yeAR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by genevie)
    I'm pretty much ******** myself tbh. I've wanted to go to Cambridge since I first visited 6 years ago, but my GCSE results were extremely disappointing and did not reflect my ability in my opinion

I did them this year and I got 1 A*, 7 As and 2 Cs (I'm resitting this Cs this year, will probably get an A* and an A). I did them at a school that has a GCSE pass rate of less than 50%. I'm doing my A levels at the same school, but their A level results are far better and I'm willing to put the extra work in anyway.

What were your results? And did you go to a good school?
    That's pretty decent. My old school has a pass rate of around 40%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Ugh, I wish I'd done better! I was sooo close to an A* in three other subjects too
    And I would have got an A* in history if the teacher hadn't killed himself!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I wish I'd done better! I was sooo close to an A* in three other subjects too

eugh i feel your pain, i was ONE MARK OFF A* in two subjects and one mark off A's in two other subjects :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humiara)
    what were your results before?, aint you happy with the grades you got this yeAR?
    This is the only set of results I got.

ReputationRep:
    If that school pass rate is considered low enough, Cambridge will "add on" some points to your GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    If that school pass rate is considered low enough, Cambridge will "add on" some points to your GCSE grades.
    I'm seriously hoping that it's considered low!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, you are disappointed with your results as you don't think they reflect your true ability, but put things in perspective please.
    People get in with better GCSEs than you, and also people get in with worse.
    Focus on getting 95+% in your AS Levels for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    :shock:
    I don't mean for this to come out in a bad way, but he could have waited until after exams :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunter'sdaughter)
    Fair enough, you are disappointed with your results as you don't think they reflect your true ability, but put things in perspective please.
    People get in with better GCSEs than you, and also people get in with worse.
    Focus on getting 95+% in your AS Levels for now.
    I am

I doubt many people get in with worse, though, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    My school has a pass rate of 78% and my year was the worst and brought the percentage down 2 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    i think mos will say 5-10 A*

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean for this to come out in a bad way, but he could have waited until after exams :/
    Lol - I'm more shocked at the fact that your history teacher killed himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    Lol - I'm more shocked at the fact that your history teacher killed himself.
    You wouldn't be if you'd known him. I saw it coming.

ReputationRep:
    Focus on your AS levels now!

ReputationRep:
    One of only 3 people to get into Cambridge out of about 15 in my year at school had no A*s at GCSEs and no extenuating circumstances. So don't give up hope.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.