Turn on thread page Beta

Mature student needing financial advice watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I am currently studying with the open uni for a psychology degree. I am a single parent and currently work in education. I decided to do this degree as it would lead me to higher paid non teaching jobs in the education sector. However, with the current government/spending cuts pending, all the jobs I wanted to do with my degree will no longer exist! This means I wont be able to get a job after I qualify. So, I have decided to take on a Social Work degree which will mean giving up my job and is broadly related to the job I do at present. I have looked up my finance options but dont think I will be eligable for the special support/maintenance grant. I know I can appeal for personal circumstances - do you think they will consider my reasons and give it to me? It will be about £3000. If not is there any other support available?

    (I've done 4 years part time study which has been funded)

    Thanks in advance


    considering there are a lot of graduate schemes that will take any degree course, they may not be as forgiving as you would like them to be for your circumstances. i'm led to believe that they will only fund ONE degree, but will fund a degree, masters, and then phd. but not any repeats, else you could just take many, many degrees surely?

    could you do a social work as a post grad type of thing, or not?

    i would perhaps call up student finance and ask, or maybe ring citizen's advice and request a meeting with their ££ specialist: as they will also have knowledge on things such as benefits your children/you will be eligible for, housing benefit, access to learning grants, other grants, and student finance covering tuition, etc etc.

    have you contacted people working in the department you want to, or looked up the entry requirements? i'm sure that they will not have such tight criteria for entrance.

    i think the answer will probably be a no, but you could try?
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.