Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanna go into magazine graphics or advertising and so I'm applying for graphic courses, buuuut i'm more likely to get a place on a fine art course cos i'm good at painting and that jazz...

i don't want them to turn around and be like "what you doing here??eh?? you're clearly a painter" and end up with no offers! :mad:

So, if i did do a fine art degree, would it be more difficult to get into the industry, or not much different?

Is a Fine Art degree only useful if you want to be an art teacher or an artist?

Also, would unis be turned off if i put 1 fine art option and 4 graphics courses? would they be like hmm maybe she's changing her mind.

and my portfolio is a mix of painting and photography and graphics but all the graphics students work i've seen are primarily graphics like photoshop stuff... so would my different portfolio work for or against me?

currently my 5 picks are: Leeds Uni, Falmouth, Nottingham trent, southampton uni, and kingston uni - all graphics courses.
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    thanks pppeeeeeps

ReputationRep:
    I think that having traditional media in your portfolio will work in your favour for graphic design, after all you need to pick up a pencil and start from basics before you can imitate it in a computer. My graphic design course is heavily focused on traditional methods of design as well as computers so don't worry If creative advertising is what you are intrested in then graphic design is probably more suited to you. As for my interview/portfolio I had a range of life drawing, paintings, graphics, photography and other traditional media (I even had some of my critical essays in there as well). If you have a range of skills you will be more employable as a graphic designer than say a person who only knows how to use a computer and is lost picking up a pencil. Good luck with your applications

ReputationRep:
    Argh...sorry double post.

i don't want them to turn around and be like "what you doing here??eh?? you're clearly a painter" and end up with no offers!
    I can promise you that they will not say this. Far too many people go into graphic design thinking that it is only about the use of a Mac, this is not the case. Tutors in art related subjects will always be looking for a range of skills and they will also want to know about you and your intrests and your critical thinking skills. Personally I think you should do some research on fine art and graphic design and decide what course you think would be best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiyeon)
    Personally I think you should do some research on fine art and graphic design and decide what course you think would be best for you.
    Thanks your posts we're really helpful.

And yeah i've been looking at the different uni courses and I had found that what put me off doing fine art a lot was that in all the unis "careers" sections they say things like teaching and professional artists which i don't wanna do. And then I look at the graphic design ones and they say exactly what I wanna do.

But because I've been fine art all my life I'm kinda worried that I won't be like up to par with everyone else and they'll all be realllyy graphicsy. if u get what i mean?

All the uni's courses vary soo much!

Anyway, you at uni doing it now? if so which uni u at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadiceCity)
    I wanna go into magazine graphics or advertising and so I'm applying for graphic courses, buuuut i'm more likely to get a place on a fine art course cos i'm good at painting and that jazz...

i don't want them to turn around and be like "what you doing here??eh?? you're clearly a painter" and end up with no offers! :mad:

So, if i did do a fine art degree, would it be more difficult to get into the industry, or not much different?

Also, would unis be turned off if i put 1 fine art option and 4 graphics courses? would they be like hmm maybe she's changing her mind.

and my portfolio is a mix of painting and photography and graphics but all the graphics students work i've seen are primarily graphics like photoshop stuff... so would my different portfolio work for or against me?

currently my 5 picks are: Leeds Uni, Falmouth, Nottingham trent, southampton uni, and kingston uni - all graphics courses.
    thanks pppeeeeeps
    I'm going into Graphic Communication, and my portfolio made use of a whole range of mediums so they won't turn round and tell you you're clearly a painter. They just want to see how creatively you think and your skills as a designer. They don't want to see a portfolio full of photoshop! Your portfolio will work in your favour, trust me!

I don't think Fine Art would prevent you from entering magazine graphics because it is such a broad degree. Although i do believe a graphics course would probably suit this career better.

Also, Nottingham Trent was my first choice last year... it's gorgeous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautifique.)
    I'm going into Graphic Communication, and my portfolio made use of a whole range of mediums so they won't turn round and tell you you're clearly a painter. They just want to see how creatively you think and your skills as a designer. They don't want to see a portfolio full of photoshop! Your portfolio will work in your favour, trust me!

I don't think Fine Art would prevent you from entering magazine graphics because it is such a broad degree. Although i do believe a graphics course would probably suit this career better.

Also, Nottingham Trent was my first choice last year... it's gorgeous
    So you're at Nottingham Trent now then? How is it? and the course - is it any good? I really wanna go to an open day but cba for the train fare! may wait just see if i get an interview and go up then.

thanks for the info, i think i'm gonna deffo do graphic design/communication, just gotta decide which uni's now! keep changing my mind!

ReputationRep:
    So you're at Nottingham Trent now then? How is it? and the course - is it any good? I really wanna go to an open day but cba for the train fare! may wait just see if i get an interview and go up then.

thanks for the info, i think i'm gonna deffo do graphic design/communication, just gotta decide which uni's now! keep changing my mind!
    Haha, no i'm not... I never got in so i'm going to Reading instead. I move in on Sunday Can't wait! I'd defo recommend looking at Reading if publications is what you are interested in. They seem really clued up on it, which is one of the reasons i really loved it. Another big plus is the class sizes are so small so you get a lot of guidance. But hey, perhaps i'm just biased :P

The Nottingham Trent course looks good if you want to be a bit more hands-on. It seems more arty to me. The whole area is lovely too... i literally cried when i got rejected. I guess things work out for the best though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautifique.)
    Haha, no i'm not... I never got in so i'm going to Reading instead. I move in on Sunday Can't wait! I'd defo recommend looking at Reading if publications is what you are interested in. They seem really clued up on it, which is one of the reasons i really loved it. Another big plus is the class sizes are so small so you get a lot of guidance. But hey, perhaps i'm just biased :P

The Nottingham Trent course looks good if you want to be a bit more hands-on. It seems more arty to me. The whole area is lovely too... i literally cried when i got rejected. I guess things work out for the best though!
    Reading was actually one of my options! but i live a bit too close to it so I got put off! may look again at it though anyway

You'll prob love it there my mates going there this year too and she's wellll excited for it!
    woooop wooop

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i see Yeah, i think you don't feel like you're getting the full university experience if you don't move from home etc etc. It's worth a look i guess... but your Nottingham Trent option is definately a good one to put down! Hope i've helped a bit

ReputationRep:

And yeah i've been looking at the different uni courses and I had found that what put me off doing fine art a lot was that in all the unis "careers" sections they say things like teaching and professional artists which i don't wanna do. And then I look at the graphic design ones and they say exactly what I wanna do.

But because I've been fine art all my life I'm kinda worried that I won't be like up to par with everyone else and they'll all be realllyy graphicsy. if u get what i mean?

I am studying at the university of Cumbria in Carlisle (http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/graphicdesign), the course is exciting and the staff are so friendly/helpful. We are focusing a lot on traditional methods we haven't even touched a mac yet. I love the course because I am able to take workshops in any of the creative areas throughout my campus, just the other day I took an introduction in ceramics. My lecturers are really into us having varied (and many) sketch books, one of my lecturers is a fantastic typographer so I feel like I am learning a lot. To be honest when I first went to Uni I thought ohh great graphic design I'll be using a mac allllll the time. I'm glad I was wrong as I love going back to using my hands and creating from scratch Cumbria may not seem like the most obvious choice for graphic design courses but I wouldn't have it any other way, I really do love it here.

ReputationRep:

thanks pppeeeeeps

OMG i am like in the exactly same positions but unlike you I decided to apply for 4fine art courses and one graphic design (or 3fine art and 2graphic D ), as a job i 100% want to work in advertising/design but if i have the opportunity to do a few shows in a few gallerys than lovely plus i really think a fine art degree will push my creativity and thoughts better BUT i know how important design experience will be if i opt to do fine art but upon graduation or prior i intend to do a few short courses in programs that i need for design

ReputationRep:

me and you are practically the same i will NOT BECOME A TEACHER. Ahhhh i want job in advertising but ill enjoy a fine art degree more:woo:

EDIT I've done fine art all my life too and have no idea how i'd compete with all the graphicyy people (i am just waiting for the graphic design rotation and see how i do/feel )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxsaraxx7)
    OMG i am like in the exactly same positions but unlike you I decided to apply for 4fine art courses and one graphic design (or 3fine art and 2graphic D ), as a job i 100% want to work in advertising/design but if i have the opportunity to do a few shows in a few gallerys than lovely plus i really think a fine art degree will push my creativity and thoughts better BUT i know how important design experience will be if i opt to do fine art but upon graduation or prior i intend to do a few short courses in programs that i need for design

glad to find someone in the same boat as me! what unis u applying to then? I KEEP on changing my mind.

I'm worried that fine art degrees will JUST be painting and doing history of art and stuff. whereas i dunno i thought graphic design would help get better connections or something?

and i'm pretty scared about comparing to ppl who have been doing graphic design forever and being **** compared to them, well not **** just different.

i dunnooooooo

ReputationRep:
    glad to find someone in the same boat as me! what unis u applying to then? I KEEP on changing my mind.

I'm worried that fine art degrees will JUST be painting and doing history of art and stuff. whereas i dunno i thought graphic design would help get better connections or something?

and i'm pretty scared about comparing to ppl who have been doing graphic design forever and being **** compared to them, well not **** just different.

i dunnooooooo

Well i havent completeley made my mind up according to unis right now its
    Definitley : Goldsmith, slade or chelsea or both << for fine art

Maybe: UCA middlesex for graphics camberwell (if you can apply to 2 UAL colleges)

they're all london unis or very close

what about u what uni do u want to go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxsaraxx7)
    Well i havent completeley made my mind up according to unis right now its
    Definitley : Goldsmith, slade or chelsea or both << for fine art

Maybe: UCA middlesex for graphics camberwell (if you can apply to 2 UAL colleges)

they're all london unis or very close

what about u what uni do u want to go to
    oh right theyre really good ones
    mine are currently
    for graphics: Leeds, Falmouth, Nottingham Trent, Southampton Uni
    and the fine art is either Newcastle, Aberystwyth or Slade, bit of a variation... haven't made up my mind though. decisions decisions!

i'm trying to get away from london! lol

ReputationRep:

thanks pppeeeeeps
    argh..i'm in the same position. i just cannot make up my mind. I love fine art so much but i'm worried that if i choose to study painting, I will end up being a freelance artist with no money and if i choose graphic design, I'll do things mainly with a PC and no real stuff i can touch, and smell... Maybe painting is not such a narrow degree as I think? and maybe i can be all artist like and at the same time do some design stuff ?? oh..i dunno what to do... and i need to decide fast. any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    way to bring a thread up from the dead. xD
    if this answers any questions, my fine art teacher did his degree in graphic design.
    my other teacher did hers in photography,
    so i guess it's very interchangeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    way to bring a thread up from the dead. xD
    if this answers any questions, my fine art teacher did his degree in graphic design.
    my other teacher did hers in photography,
    so i guess it's very interchangeable.
    it does answer! thanks ;D i'll tryyy to make up my mind. or i'll just apply for both and see where destiny will take me

ReputationRep:
    good luck with applying with whatever you choose to do.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.