Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mostly thanks to my under-performing school, I did **** in my GCSEs this year (1A*, 7A, 2C - resitting the Cs)

I need to make every other aspect of my application amazing to overshadow those results.

I plan to apply for PPS; what can I do now that will make my application better?

ReputationRep:
    Read around the subjects you study in PPS. Think about them a lot.

Work your arse off at A level. Get 90%+ UMS in your AS levels.

If your school is really underperforming, and you came towards the top in GCSE results, then that will be taken into account. You might even consider the CSAS. But for the time being, the first two points are really where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Read around the subjects you study in PPS. Think about them a lot.

Work your arse off at A level. Get 90%+ UMS in your AS levels.

If your school is really underperforming, and you came towards the top in GCSE results, then that will be taken into account. You might even consider the CSAS. But for the time being, the first two points are really where it's at.
    I'd consider it under-performing; less than 50% pass rate and I was one of only 15 kids in the whole year group that got 5+ As/A*s. I thought your family/school had to have little history of people going into higher education for CSAS though :/

Anyway, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I also went to an undeperforming school (I think 43% A*-C in the year I left) and got 1 A*, 7 As, 1 B and 1 C, so very similar to you. Firstly I would say don't bother sitting the two Cs. Instead put all your time, effort and brain power into getting exceptional A level results. Once you've got great A levels, Cambridge are unlikely to care about your GCSEs unless they were significantly worse than what you've got. I understand that you're disappointed with your grades, because I was with mine, and that there will be many people applying with 10 A*s, but there will also be some people applying with worse GCSE results than yours. Draw a line under them, and use them as an incentive to work super hard and do really well now. That's the best way you can strengthen your application. Also show that you've investigated your subjects outside of college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by genevie)
    I'd consider it under-performing; less than 50% pass rate and I was one of only 15 kids in the whole year group that got 5+ As/A*s. I thought your family/school had to have little history of people going into higher education for CSAS though :/

Anyway, thanks
    To qualify for CSAS you have to either:
    have attended a school/college that doesn't send many people to higher education AND have little family history of going to HE
    OR
    have suffered serious disruption to your education.

If you've had family go to university you probably won't qualify, but Cambridge do take into account your school's GCSE pass rate in the course of a normal application anyway so I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you've got decent AS results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashhh)
    To qualify for CSAS you have to either:
    have attended a school/college that doesn't send many people to higher education AND have little family history of going to HE
    OR
    have suffered serious disruption to your education.

If you've had family go to university you probably won't qualify, but Cambridge do take into account your school's GCSE pass rate in the course of a normal application anyway so I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you've got decent AS results.
    Well a lot of people from my school go into HE and my parents went to uni, so I won't qualify. But if the pass rate's taken into account anyway then I should be okay

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What were your Cs in? Your GCSEs aren't amazing but they aren't bad. I definitely agree with the others who said you should concentrate on doing really well in your A-Levels and depending on what happened exactly with your GCSEs (e.g. illness, bad time mangement) you shouldn't necessarily re-sit them.

Excellent module results and predicted grades in A-Levels will make you stand out. Also, make sure you have a good reason for doing PPS and try and back it up with involvement in societies, activities etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.