This discussion is closed.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
did anyone do the D1 paper today. personally, i found it hard and think i screwed it up like last time. what do you think?
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
did anyone do the D1 paper today. personally, i found it hard and think i screwed it up like last time. what do you think?
I did OCR (MEI) DD1 today - that was hard also. I think I performed fairly well though.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can i just ask what D1 is?

Just that on my syllabus i do Pure modules and mechanics modules in order to get my A-Level in Mathematics.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
D1 is Decision Mathematics although on Edexcel's website it is stated as Discrete Mathematics
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Can i just ask what D1 is?

Just that on my syllabus i do Pure modules and mechanics modules in order to get my A-Level in Mathematics.
Decision and Discreet.

On the OCR (MEI) syllabus it deals with things like heuristic algorithms, sorting algorithms, critical path analysis, linear programming, graph theory, simulations and networks.

Traditionally it's supposed to be an easy module, do it if you have the opportunity.
mb85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah i found it hard as well....it was my first go at the paper and will prob resit in June......I messed up on a few easy questions but then it was cuz i wasnt really prepared for the paper.........
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
Yeah i found it really hard too. Much harder than any past papers I had done. Messed up the whole graph question. Will probs resit in June too.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A fire alarm went off during my exam, which was useful. :rolleyes:
boss-dior
Report 16 years ago
I found it hard to,eg.definition of matchings!!!

and has anyone got any thoughts on the last question,what is the new time of finishing the projects?I got 22hours also,but my mates got 28 or 30.....

not sure about the flow chart as well!!!
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by boss-dior)
I found it hard to,eg.definition of matchings!!!

and has anyone got any thoughts on the last question,what is the new time of finishing the projects?I got 22hours also,but my mates got 28 or 30.....

not sure about the flow chart as well!!!
Yeah i got 22 too but was in such a rush i didnt even write "hours" - oops.
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
I think they try to make D1 papers hard cause the actual course seems easy. I did AQA D1 last summer, my whole class thought the paper was auful but we all got A's (just) so i think its deceptive.

Not like P6 today, which was hell on a paper. literally.
boss-dior
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by p_d33)
Yeah i got 22 too but was in such a rush i didnt even write "hours" - oops.
that is good,as long as you got 22.....:-)
how about other answers??all I can remember is that,MST is 18 by using both methods ,kruskal's a bit tricky....
the flow charts's output was ended up with 5...

CPA x=0,y=7,z=??forgot...but am sure it is right.

the max flow was26,and should adapt option 2....

could anyone think of anything else???tell me if anything above was wrong or differernt from your answer!!!
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
that is good,as long as you got 22.....:-)
how about other answers??all I can remember is that,MST is 18 by using both methods ,kruskal's a bit tricky....
the flow charts's output was ended up with 5...

CPA x=0,y=7,z=??forgot...but am sure it is right.

the max flow was26,and should adapt option 2....

could anyone think of anything else???tell me if anything above was wrong or differernt from your answer!!!
Yeah i got something like that. for the graph q I got P max = 29 and for C min i got 18.91666...
boss-dior
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by p_d33)
Yeah i got something like that. for the graph q I got P max = 29 and for C min i got 18.91666...
Mine is differernt,my Min cost was 26 1/5 or 25 1/6...
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I thought that it was a bitunfair really,I think that the exam was far too "wordy" (particularly the 1st question!!!). Here are the bits I can remember...

Was slightly worried about the minimum connector question because I wasn't sure if the edges on the minimum connector could cross-over (my lines crossed but there was no cycle. I think that the edges were selected in a slightly different order dispite the connector being the same... :confused:

On the network flow "option 1 VS option 2" question I found tht option 2 was the best because it had a possible gain of 2 rather than a possible gain of 1 by using option 1.

For the linear programming I got a feasible region that was quite small in the centre of the graph. I think that I found the optimal C to be about 36 and I got P to be minimal at 29.5.

In the critical path question I got x=0, y=7 and z=9 (If I remember correctly). For the last C.P.A answer = 22 (I guessed this one because I had no time but a friend says that she got the same...).

Hopefully some peope will have similar answers so I can rest a bit easier knowing that I didn't fail it too badly!!!
boss-dior
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
I thought that it was a bitunfair really,I think that the exam was far too "wordy" (particularly the 1st question!!!). Here are the bits I can remember...

Was slightly worried about the minimum connector question because I wasn't sure if the edges on the minimum connector could cross-over (my lines crossed but there was no cycle. I think that the edges were selected in a slightly different order dispite the connector being the same... :confused:

On the network flow "option 1 VS option 2" question I found tht option 2 was the best because it had a possible gain of 2 rather than a possible gain of 1 by using option 1.

For the linear programming I got a feasible region that was quite small in the centre of the graph. I think that I found the optimal C to be about 36 and I got P to be minimal at 29.5.

In the critical path question I got x=0, y=7 and z=9 (If I remember correctly). For the last C.P.A answer = 22 (I guessed this one because I had no time but a friend says that she got the same...).

Hopefully some peope will have similar answers so I can rest a bit easier knowing that I didn't fail it too badly!!!

I am sure we both did very well,most of your answers are the same as mine ,apart from Min cost Max profit questions.
I am feeling happier after comparing it with you..
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
I got z=0 and didnt get the same answers for the linear programming q but frankly everyone ive asked has a different answer!

Other than that i got the same answers.
nodabooper
Report 16 years ago
i am doing it as a further module and it was ****...i prefer P4 and P5 to this rubbish! most of the mocks we did i got over 90%...i think i will get a U in this one though!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I am sure we both did very well,most of your answers are the same as mine ,apart from Min cost Max profit questions.
I am feeling happier after comparing it with you..

So you looked at mine and then thought "what an idiot!! at least I beat him"???...hehe

Ohh well, I can always resit....

On the brighter side I only have 2 exam left (although one is the dreaded P2!!!... )
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nodabooper)
i am doing it as a further module and it was ****...i prefer P4 and P5 to this rubbish! most of the mocks we did i got over 90%...i think i will get a U in this one though!
Everyone laughs at my inability to do decision papers bu I honestly prefer maths that you know is based on solid principles where you know that your solution is about right (e.g. pure or stats)!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (154)
60.87%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.35%
No- I want it (71)
28.06%
No- I don't want it (17)