This discussion is closed.
Lemovitch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did it today as well and thought it was ok, much easier than the summer one, in which i got a fantastic 44/100!
nodabooper
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Everyone laughs at my inability to do decision papers bu I honestly prefer maths that you know is based on solid principles where you know that your solution is about right (e.g. pure or stats)!!!

i agree coz they are still developing the idea of decision maths and what most of the people who discovered these apparently mind blowing stuff like simplex are still alive and well...but hey quadratic functions and those more normal maths, they have been around for centuries!!!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lemovitch)
I did it today as well and thought it was ok, much easier than the summer one, in which i got a fantastic 44/100!
69/100 in the summer..cant see it going up!!!
nodabooper
Report 16 years ago
69/100 in the summer..cant see it going up!!!
doing it first time...hopefully around 80...but i don't think i will get that!!!
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
Everyone laughs at my inability to do decision papers bu I honestly prefer maths that you know is based on solid principles where you know that your solution is about right (e.g. pure or stats)!!!
If its any help, the D1 mark boundaries for June were very low - just 46/75 for an A! Can see rest of data at bottom of this examiners report: <a href="http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48841/GCE_Maths_Subject_Examiners_Repo rt_Jun03.pdf">http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48841/GCE_Maths_Subject_Examiners_Repo rt_Jun03.pdf</a>. Having said that... only 20% of those who sat got an A compared to S4 where 51% got an A!
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I also did this D1 paper today. Oh boy
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Don't suppose anyone managed to swindle a copy of the paper after the exam or know of any method by which I can get hold of a copy. Im really desperate know how I did now, I should be revising for P2 but this is really bugging me now!!!

Also, I remebered that I got 11.1 for the route inspection (chinese postman) problem and for the second bit I found that it didnt matter if he started from home or not, the route was as short as it could be.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by capslock)
I also did this D1 paper today. Oh boy
How do you think you did?
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
Don't suppose anyone managed to swindle a copy of the paper after the exam or know of any method by which I can get hold of a copy. Im really desperate know how I did now, I should be revising for P2 but this is really bugging me now!!!

Also, I remebered that I got 11.1 for the route inspection (chinese postman) problem and for the second bit I found that it didnt matter if he started from home or not, the route was as short as it could be.
I found that i got a smaller route with starting from home cos only 1 route needed to be repeater. Cant remember my first ans tho
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont get it.

If the paper is harder, then you wouldnt need quite as high a raw mark in order to get the same UMS as on an easier paper.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by p_d33)
I found that i got a smaller route with starting from home cos only 1 route needed to be repeater. Cant remember my first ans tho
I tried to find a shorter route but I got 11.9 as the smallest possible if he walks from home to work first. I found that he only needed to repeat one edge also but it was of length 1.5 so I went over the length of my first route!!!
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
I tried to find a shorter route but I got 11.9 as the smallest possible if he walks from home to work first. I found that he only needed to repeat one edge also but it was of length 1.5 so I went over the length of my first route!!!
I got that the extra 2 paths in the first part of the q had a total of 2.2. Therefore the answer for part b was 2.2-1.5= 0.7 i.e. 0.7 km shorter. dunno if its right tho . That paper was a nightmare!
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is a module for further mathematics, I really haven’t enjoyed at all. First of all I suppose it's the fact that none of my universities require further maths so I haven’t really focused on it (kept to my P2, which is on Monday). As my further maths lessons was also on Wednesday afternoon, late last year when we was doing the 'harder' topics, linear programming etc. I was away, so had to try understanding it myself.

As for the exam, I suppose it was OK. A lot of the questions was easy imo, such as the first, second, minimum spanning tree and the postman problem. However as for the linear programming, I didnt have a clue really...
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by p_d33)
I got that the extra 2 paths in the first part of the q had a total of 2.2. Therefore the answer for part b was 2.2-1.5= 0.7 i.e. 0.7 km shorter. dunno if its right tho . That paper was a nightmare!
I think your probably right on that one then!!! I think I may have counted on of the edges twice or something!!! This is why I really want another look at the paper!!!
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think your probably right on that one then!!! I think I may have counted on of the edges twice or something!!! This is why I really want another look at the paper!!!
Take my philosophy - What's the point? The paper is sent away and you cant change anything now.
p_d33
Report 16 years ago
Lol dont worry. just forget about it. I find that whenever i look at a paper again i just see loads more errors i have made. That paper was quite impossible, esp the linear programming q.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I suppose you both right, I guess even if I do get something absolutely horrific, I can always re-sit (again) in June along with pretty much every other maths module I do!!!
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
Decision and Discreet.

On the OCR (MEI) syllabus it deals with things like heuristic algorithms, sorting algorithms, critical path analysis, linear programming, graph theory, simulations and networks.

Traditionally it's supposed to be an easy module, do it if you have the opportunity.
I really messed up this exam!! How did you find the last question -linear programming? It was something that I'd revised quite a lot and that I'd done quite a lot on but when it came up in the exam I just didn't know what to do! Luckily, I think everyone else found it quite difficult as well -some people were almost in tears (no exaggeration!)

Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
I really messed up this exam!! How did you find the last question -linear programming? It was something that I'd revised quite a lot and that I'd done quite a lot on but when it came up in the exam I just didn't know what to do! Luckily, I think everyone else found it quite difficult as well -some people were almost in tears (no exaggeration!)

The situation at my college was totally different, people I know were talking about they found it so easy compared to last years. I felt about 2inches tall and wanted to crawl into a hole when we were walking out.

Was your feasible region quite small and in the centre of the graph??? I got 36 and 29.5 but I wasn't really certain. Surely there is a bit of room for inaccuracy because everyone's drawing will have been fractionally different???
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The situation at my college was totally different, people I know were talking about they found it so easy compared to last years. I felt about 2inches tall and wanted to crawl into a hole when we were walking out.

Was your feasible region quite small and in the centre of the graph??? I got 36 and 29.5 but I wasn't really certain. Surely there is a bit of room for inaccuracy because everyone's drawing will have been fractionally different???
! :confused:

Personally, I thought in order to plot z=2 you had to create some sort of new fourth dimension so I can't really help you there.

On the upside I think I did well in my economics exam this morning
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads