Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you choose your university/course?
    Did you start by thinking about which courses or where you wanted to study.
    Did you choose your 5 by location/courses/acomodation/league tables/popularity??
    I have no idea where to start, I know its a long way off but i dont want to leave it to last minute!!!
    I dont even know what i want to study really:eek3:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I only really knew what I wanted to study (Biochemistry) until the September of Year 13. It was a bit too late really, since I failed most of my modules in Year 12. This was due to lack of motivation and for a number of other reasons that I won't go into. But if you can't think of what you want to study at the moment that's fine, but concentrate on getting high grades so you have more options to choose from when you do come to choosing.

We could help you with a course choice, what things are you interested in? That's a good place to start.

I chose my universities based on typical grade offer and university 'prestige'. In my postion I had to aim for typical offers around BBB (this is lower than what I would have gone for if I actually worked in Year 12). After going to open days I narrowed it down to the 5 that I liked.

But the only way we can help is if you give us an idea of what you're interested in :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Im bored so......

I knew medicine was right for me since year 10 however medlink ruined this for me so I went off it completely so january till may this year I had this massive void where I had literally no clue what I wanted to do, but really depressed since I never picked physics at AS (the reason I didn't was because I thought Medicine so biology and chemistry is a must) and physics was always the science I loved beyond everything geeeek so...... every day my idea changed about what I wanted to do....... so i went through every course in like 50/60 prospectuses and at one point I had a list of 14 courses i wanted to do.....

thankfully (along with the BP oil spill ruining chem eng for me) I got a job as a junior mental health carer and I realised what those ********* had stolen from me at medlink (overpriced *****) i got back from this job.... i love it so much i sincerely looked forward to every 5 hour shift I do on a week night (except the christmas day one now thats depressing) so i know medicine is for me

morale of the story do what your passion is otherwise youll hate yourself forever

god its a friday night.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sicarius1992)
    give us an idea of what you're interested in :yep:
    Ok, well i like maths (thats my strongest subject, taking it november), Spanish, Biology and Chemistry. And im interested in Law, i think but i hate talking in front of people and presenting stuff so law probably isnt the best option

ReputationRep:
    I chose my course very carefully, because I already had to go through the nightmare of dropping out of college and returning to sixth form due to my dislike of the subject. Once I decided that I wanted to do Creative Writing in some form, I then decided how far away I wanted to go. I got a huge map of the UK with all the universities on it from school and I created a boundary around the area that I wanted to stay in, because unlike most people I wanted to stay close by.
    I then picked out courses that were around my predicted grades (BCC), and looked at the English and Creative Writing courses for the ones that offered it as a subject. Salford's course was one I was the most interested in, and after visiting it I knew it had to be one of my choices. This was further affirmed when I visited UCLAN, and wasn't as enthusiastic about the course (though of course, I would have had to include sociology in it, as it was a part of the combined honours programme, and I didn't think I could cope with it for another three years!).
    League tables were a bit of an afterthought, I must admit, but then most of the 'top' universities had grades that were beyond my reach, and, looking at the ones that offer creative writing, their courses didn't look as interesting and wouldn't have engaged me as much.

Looking at the subjects you've mentioned, I would look into doing maths, or maths with a science as a combined degree. Spanish would also be an option, but at many universities you have the option to take a language as a separate module, so I'd look into that. I wouldn't suggest law unless you're 100% certain, because it really is a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    I chose the course (Spanish) because I love languages. It was also the only A-Level I had that I wanted to continue...when I started college I was intent on doing some arty graphics design course, hence why I studied Media, and Art, (and during AS year ICT), along with Spanish. Then I changed my mind, remembering how much I loved languages. :awesome:

For the university, I whittled it down to 5 choices based on how close to the beach they were and how pretty they were, mixed with how good they were of course. Then I visited a few and eventually plumped for Bristol after seeing how amazing the languages department was; it has its own mini cinema. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for 2011, and basically this is how I picked my course and choices. I've always loved Business Studies since I started it in year 10 for my GCSE's, and so I decided a Business Management/Marketing course would suit me.

As for the uni's, I took my AS results, looked at what they'd be if they were A Levels (so mine would be 280 UCAS Points) and basically hunted around uni's on google searches and UCAS course search. I found the courses that I liked the look of best, and have them on my application.

I haven't been to any opens days yet, although am going to Derby's open day in November and I want to go to a Nottingham Trent open day in 2011.

ReputationRep:
    I chose the course simply because I've wanted to be a lawyer since I was 12.

As for the unis, I didn't look at league tables at all.

I picked a few on areas, such as Plymouth, Exeter and Sussex then Nottingham Trent because my law teacher had recommended a course there which isn't offered elsewhere and I'd looked round and liked it and I then chose a few just because they sounded impressive like Durham and Reading because my mum went there. I then narrowed them all down by looking at my predicted grades and being realistic.

ReputationRep:
    ive known i wanted to do medicine for a long time so that wasnt hard. and ive always been taught to aim high so im aiming for the top unis in london. but it all depends on your passions and what you see yourself doing later in life

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty the only degree I can take that will get me to where I want to go ... so easy choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny_veggies)
    How did you choose your university/course?
    Did you start by thinking about which courses or where you wanted to study.
    Did you choose your 5 by location/courses/acomodation/league tables/popularity??
    I have no idea where to start, I know its a long way off but i dont want to leave it to last minute!!!
    I dont even know what i want to study really:eek3:
    Thanks
    I wanted to remain within 2-3 hours from home, so the first universities on my list were ones within the North and Scotland. From that list, I cancelled out the ones that had shocking job prospects and student satisfaction. I then attended a hell of a lot of open days and made my final decision based upon what open days I found the most enjoyable. I ended up with Newcastle, St Andrews, Liverpool, Hull and Northumbria as the five for my UCAS form.

It's quite an easy process if you use common sense. Don't be blinded by prestige and/or fancy buildings (I'm now based in probably the most repulsive building in the whole of Newcastle University), just choose where you feel you'll be the happiest.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.