Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

One of my Best friends likes/loves me - ?!?!?!? watch

Announcements

Ok, I'm 15, she's 15 - turning 16 next week - she just told me that she likes/loves me. Then she sent several texts saying 'Your not going to ignore me are you?' continuously over and over again. (I did not reply or say anything when she said that she likes/loves me).

Since she's one of my best friends, I replied saying that I won't ignore her, and asking if she liked me in the relationship way - I told her that my opinion of her won't change and to be honest with me, she said she does and thanks for not ignoring her.

But I haven't actually told her if I like/love her back yet, and to be honest and to the point, I don't like her in that sort of way.

Even though I told her that my opinion of her will not change, I guess it has. Our bestfriend - friendship has sort of gone wonky... She's probably going to ask me what I think of her back, and I'm probably just going to say something on the lines of 'I really like you but not in that way' =/

The point of this thread was that it's sort of dismantled a bit of our friendship... has it? What's your view on it?

If your best friend (of an opposite sex) confessed their love for you, and you rejected them, can you really be like how you use to be?

Anyone please??

ReputationRep:
    This is why the same sex cant be friends (unless your a ugly girl)

I'm male, she's female btw.

We're both in the same school, year 11.

ReputationRep:
    Hate to say this but no I don't think you'll be the same, any sort of innocent flirting you'd usually know wasn't genuine...now you know what her thoughts are. When she's hugging you...what she's longing for...It's never going to be quite how it was, even if she agrees to let it drop and stay just as friends.

ReputationRep:
    Shag her?

Silly teenage romances.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I told my best friend I loved him when I was 16/17. Things were weird for a while but we soon got back on track. I knew he wasn't avaliable and I just got on with it.

I don't think we were as easy with each other as we had been before, though.

It's probably not what you want to hear but we ended up together a few years down the line :p:

ReputationRep:
    It can work, honestly I told my very close male friend that I had a crush on him about 4 years ago (after liking him for 9 months prev). He said he just wanted to be friends and I said okay, fair enough. So we were friends. Sure, I was still basically in love with him for another 3 years :p: but nothing ever happened, we stayed friends. To cut a long story short I asked him if anything would ever happen one last time about a year ago on a school trip where we had a lot of "moments", if you get what I mean. Again, sorry but no - don't want a relationship. One month down the line I was completely over him. Now? We're closer than ever, practically best friends and can talk openly about those times. So yeah, it was a long journey but yes it is possible. But be gentle on her, yeah? It is tough, it will be absolutely killing her and it's not her fault she likes you.

(Original post by BookWormShanti)
    It can work, honestly I told my very close male friend that I had a crush on him about 4 years ago (after liking him for 9 months prev). He said he just wanted to be friends and I said okay, fair enough. So we were friends. Sure, I was still basically in love with him for another 3 years :p: but nothing ever happened, we stayed friends. To cut a long story short I asked him if anything would ever happen one last time about a year ago on a school trip where we had a lot of "moments", if you get what I mean. Again, sorry but no - don't want a relationship. One month down the line I was completely over him. Now? We're closer than ever, practically best friends and can talk openly about those times. So yeah, it was a long journey but yes it is possible. But be gentle on her, yeah? It is tough, it will be absolutely killing her and it's not her fault she likes you.
    I really don't want this too happen though... we're in year 11, pretty stressful time for gcse's (majority of us are expected to get A's or higher), lots of coursework and retakes revision and stuff. I really don't want to wait for years until it's back to normal =/

Is there literally nothing I can do? Nothing's possible now right? It isn't like I can control her mind or anything =/

Oh, important point. If she was to kiss me or anything, I'll probably do it back and get sucked in. But afterwards, I'll probably not like her in that way... awkward isn't it....

Should I just stop worrying about it? How should I reject her? reply to her texts with 'sorry bla bla bla', or....?

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely go back to normal!
    I'm in Yr 11 too, and one of my friends asked me out wayy back in about Yr 8. He's been one of my best friends for years. Crushes pass, and you can go back to normal!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I really don't want this too happen though... we're in year 11, pretty stressful time for gcse's (majority of us are expected to get A's or higher), lots of coursework and retakes revision and stuff. I really don't want to wait for years until it's back to normal =/

Is there literally nothing I can do? Nothing's possible now right? It isn't like I can control her mind or anything =/

Oh, important point. If she was to kiss me or anything, I'll probably do it back and get sucked in. But afterwards, I'll probably not like her in that way... awkward isn't it.... :eek3:

Should I just stop worrying about it? How should I reject her? reply to her texts with 'sorry bla bla bla', or....?
    It was normal in between time, though. Sure, I liked him but I just acted like normal around him, so we stayed as good friends as ever, saw as much of each other. From his point of view (he's told me recently) everything was totally normal and he didn't twig I still liked him much/at all. It helped that I'm quite good at acting normal and rationally - more head over heart.

If she likes you you can't make her not like you, I'm afraid. Are you sure you don't like her though, you sound a bit confused...?

I'd just...I don't know! Um, both times he came and found me and said in person that while he really liked me as a friend, he was sorry but that was all he wanted us to be and he hoped that we could go on being friends, but understood if I found it too hard. Which I thought was quite a nice way of putting it, I think. Face to face is probably better if you think you can handle it.

Forgot to say - mine is quite an OTT story. It is probably incredibly likely she doesn't like you that much, and won't take a stupid amount of years to get over you.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest OP, there probably aren't many girls who would kiss their male best friend after declaring their feelings for him and not getting a response along the same lines.

ReputationRep:
    youre too young for this to even matter

My best female friend revealed a couple of weeks ago that she liked me but not fancied me, whatever that means. But she did say she half wanted a relationship. I don't feel the same way and she's accepted it.

Since we she was one of my best friends I'm totally unaffected by it, a few people know but it hasn't really changed the way we talk to each other. But it did give me an ego boost nice to know when someone reveals they'd happily shag you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.