Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vince Cable joins Liam Fox in battle over defence spending Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its time to see if the other Tory ministers in this coalition
    a) care about the defence of our country
    b) have any balls

if the answer is correct - how about a vote of no confidence in Cameron?

I am sure there would be a better leader who the Tories could get, who wouldn't be playing fast and loose with the national defences, and this would be the best time to get the upheaval under way.

I would not want to be a Tory MP going to face my constituents for reelection in 2015, and being asked the question why have I supported policies which have directly led to the deaths of British forces, or who knows, ended up seeing us a weak target for our enemies overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    b) have any balls

I am sure there would be a better leader who the Tories could get, who wouldn't be playing fast and loose with the national defences, and this would be the best time to get the upheaval under way.

I would not want to be a Tory MP going to face my constituents for reelection in 2015, and being asked the question why have I supported policies which have directly led to the deaths of British forces, or who knows, ended up seeing us a weak target for our enemies overseas.
    Indeed. Although they can blame Labour now for the state of our defence, they cannot do so in the future as they have had the time to resolve the issues; or at least many of them.

I find it absolutely disgraceful that they are cutting defence especially scenes they gave us activists some very very pro-military campaign material to use in military estates.

Don't get me wrong, the activists loved it and the military guys and girls loved it also, however, I doubt it will be true of our government. I just hope the angry backbenches actually do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    b) have any balls

Well the problem is the Armed Forces are no longer a vote winner. The British public don't care about it enough to see any cuts to other services like Education or the NHS (Despite the fact there is a lot of bureaucratic waste that can go). Governments bow into these populist demands and put the saftey of their party in the next elections ahead of the saftey of the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azog 150)
    Well the problem is the Armed Forces are no longer a vote winner. The British public don't care about it enough to see any cuts to other services like Education or the NHS (Despite the fact there is a lot of bureaucratic waste that can go). Governments bow into these populist demands and put the saftey of their party in the next elections ahead of the saftey of the country
    It might not be a vote winner but its a vote loser.

How many voters are family or friends of serving forces in Afghanistan? When they start hearing complaints from the front line that their safety is being compromised and lives are being lost, questions will be asked.

The best thing would be to stop the combat operations altogether however if they are keeping them out there whilst trying to provide a tight squeeze then it just hands a big advantage to the enemy.

When serving forces are having their numbers reduced, the Tory government will have a hard sell to convince everybody that its just "pen pushers" who are being cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    To name a few that were silly and needless: Malaya (48-60), Palestine (45-48) Suez (56), Falklands (82), Afghanistan (01-), Second Gulf War (03-09). There's probably some more, but that list will do for now. Suffice to say, we would have had far more bloodless years since 1945 if we hadn't got into any of these conflicts.
    As a supported of the armed forces, i am not going to go into how ANGRY this post has made me.

Instead, im going to ask you a question, and i want you to answer honestly.
    If you saw a woman being raped in the street, would you help her?
    Or, if you were too weak, or too scared, would you want others to help her?

So what about the women and children raped en-mass in Afghanistan? What about the MILLIONS killed because they refused to wear a headscarf? Those killed because they watched TV? The kids killed for PLAYING because enjoyment is a sin under sharia law? The men that wor for the government being beheaded simply because they choose to feed their familly by paving highway 1 rather than growing opium?

Even if you personally did not want to help them. If you thought your own life was worth more, if you were not brave enough to step in and help, you should damn well want someone else to. People that are brave enough to want to help. Theae are the people that would step in when that girl got raped, rather than hoping someone would.

My next question.
    Hypothetical thoery. Cornwall gets invaded. Cornwall gets told it is now part of, lets say, france. Do you think the cornish people want to be french? More importantly, do you think we should just let the french HAVE cornwall? give up on all those people? Make them choose between moving from where they were born, grew up, to a place miles and miles away just to keep their nationality? the right to speak English?

If your too slow to pick up on it, Cornwall here is of course a metaphor for the Falklands. Just because those islands are not physically attached to England, dosent mean they are any less British. The people there dont want to be Argentinians. So, for the same reasons we would protect Cornwall if the french invaded, we had to protect those islands too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.