Turn on thread page Beta

Gaining Knowledge about cars/Road to getting a car watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    There are a few questions that I would like to ask before I attempt to start my driving lessons.

1. What is the total estimated amount of money it will cost before gaining a driver's licence? This includes
    - Getting your provisional
    - Theory tests
    - Practical tests
    - Any other costs

2. Which driving school do you recommend to me? Also do compare-the-market compare prices of different driving schools?

3. After gaining your driver's licence, roughly how much money should you spend on your first car?

4. After buying your car, what are the extra costs involved in which you will have to pay weekly, monthly or yearly?

5. Is there any sites or videos that anyone can recommend to me where I can learn the different parts and functions or a car. Exp the engine, how the gearbox work etc.

I want to know most things about a car before I start doing the tests.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KMan1)
    Hi everyone,
    There are a few questions that I would like to ask before I attempt to start my driving lessons.

1. What is the total estimated amount of money it will cost before gaining a driver's licence? This includes
    - Getting your provisional
    - Theory tests
    - Practical tests
    - Any other costs

2. Which driving school do you recommend to me? Also do compare-the-market compare prices of different driving schools?

3. After gaining your driver's licence, roughly how much money should you spend on your first car?

4. After buying your car, what are the extra costs involved in which you will have to pay weekly, monthly or yearly?

5. Is there any sites or videos that anyone can recommend to me where I can learn the different parts and functions or a car. Exp the engine, how the gearbox work etc.

I want to know most things about a car before I start doing the tests.

Thanks
    I can try to help with some of these...

1.) Assume lessons are £20/hr (probably too cheap for nowadays! e.g. AA standard price is £24)

Provisional is £50, Theory £31, Practical: Assume you're going to need 2 attempts (it doesn't matter HOW good you think you're going to be)... = 2 x (£62 week daytime test + £40 2hr instructor car hire) = £204

Finally lessons... the government reckons on average 45 professional lessons (see here) which at £20 (as I say, probably too cheap nowadays) work out as £900. This does not include any private practice which will mean you being insured on, say, your mum's car (add a lot, depending on exactly what your mum's car is). Of course it depends a lot on the individual how many lessons they need - this will depend on how much extra practice you do, how much your instructor decides to milk you for cash, how quickly you pick it up (tip: straight after school when you're knackered is not the most effective time to have a driving lesson) etc.

In short it's an expensive game and you're looking at £1200+ plus insurance on one of your parents' cars + buying suitable alcohol to compensate them after the distress of taking you out.

3, 4) As for the others... no exact figures (perhaps allow £3000 depending on car, for car + insurance???) and of course how much you spend on fuel depends entirely on how much you use it!

5.) there are probably plenty which i don't know of (ask your dad perhaps?), but I'm glad you're asking! there are far too many people who drive who do not understand (or care) how really, really basic things (e.g. the clutch) actually work.

ReputationRep:
    Licence is about 50 quid.

1 - Lessons are about £22 and you will need maybe 20-30 and budger approx £100 for the test. I dunno how much the thory is.

2 - just go on recommendation. The big schools dont necessarily have the bets drivers, its all down to the individual perosn you get.

3 - 1000 - 1500 - only because insurance will cost a lot. go for an engine 1.4 or less

4 - tax, MOT, insura,ce breakdown cover, repairs. i made a long post about these costs in the motoring forum a couple of years back, see if you can find it. fuel is obviously a killer.

5 - no idea. but there are probably loads.

i knew nothing about car mechanics when i started learning .i literally learnt everything as i went

i started driving lessons

i then passed the thoery test

then the practical

i then bought a car (make sure you take someone with you who knows what to look for in a car! simpel things can cost a lot of money to repair)

i then foudn out about all the costs that come with cars!

i now know very basic mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    2. Ask friends for local recommendations

5. howitworks.com is a guide, look up engines (differences between diesel and petrol), gearboxes, clutch (understanding how the clutch operates IMO will massively help with your clutch control) etc...

All the others massively from person to person. If your keen get your mum/dad to go to an empty car park or similar and have a go, the actual operating the car part is easy, it's just avoiding all the other road users and not causing crashes which is the hard part.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.