Turn on thread page Beta

Weirdest medical thing you've ever seen? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    An otherwise healthy homeless man who appeared to be wearing what looked like a cream coloured boot, on closer inspection the "boot" turned out to be a huge maggot infestation spread over a nasty skin infection!

ReputationRep:
    Why why WHY did I open this thread?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Proteus Syndrome

http://megasector.com/wp-content/upl...dy-sellars.jpg
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis
    http://www.fotothing.com/photos/3ae/...4f09451c09.jpg

or

Polymelia
    http://www.smashinglists.com/wp-cont...2_384657a1.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    how horrible makes you sorta feel lucky for what you've got...
    Agreed... made me realise that I should be more thankful for what I have, and not moan about it.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say harlequin babies too but got beaten to it!! :/
    Candy apple babies (?) are pretty weird too.
    Seeing things like these especially the hannel 5 extraordinary people series really makes me grateful that I'm normal.

ReputationRep:
    That was the most disgusting yet enthralling thread I have read in a long time...

ReputationRep:
    Justinophrenia.
    Justin Timberlake.
    Justin Bieber
    and so on.
    Make the connection.

ReputationRep:
    the ickiest i've seen is a case where there are holes in the body. >.< can't remember what it's called. typo something i think??

ReputationRep:
    Progeria- A genetic disease the symptoms of which mimic very rapid ageing: the life expectancy is about thirteen although people have been known to live (much) longer, like into their 40s. Death is usually due to stork or heart attack caused by atherosclerosis, problems normally associated with old age. Scary stuff!

Fatal familial insomnia - Another genetic disease. Symptoms appear on average at the age of 50 and are basically an inability to sleep: hallucinations, paranoia, panic attacks and dementia result. Death normally occurs within seven to 36 months.

Fascinating and terrifying...haha, I'm morbidly fascinated by things like this.

ReputationRep:
    Abigail and Brittany Hensel

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/...0ef0e9028c.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    No offence of course to anyone affected but this is one of the most shocking things I've ever seen. People born without brains.

Anencephaly

what else have people got to offer?
    This made me want to cry! It's so awful for the baby and their parents. How can people say it looks like a frog, so heartless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphasia)
    Progeria- A genetic disease the symptoms of which mimic very rapid ageing: the life expectancy is about thirteen although people have been known to live (much) longer, like into their 40s. Death is usually due to stork or heart attack caused by atherosclerosis, problems normally associated with old age. Scary stuff!

Fatal familial insomnia - Another genetic disease. Symptoms appear on average at the age of 50 and are basically an inability to sleep: hallucinations, paranoia, panic attacks and dementia result. Death normally occurs within seven to 36 months.

Fascinating and terrifying...haha, I'm morbidly fascinated by things like this.
    I've heard of both of theses before, so sad but so interesting. I need to stop watching bodyshock on channel four etc. I watch every single medical program going, seeing as I have sky that's quite a lot :P....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone.)
    The resemblance to a famous figure is uncanny but it's still a baby.....so kindly STFU.

What happens to such individuals if anyone knows?
    If they're born without brains, what do you think? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disenchanted)
    Proteus Syndrome

http://megasector.com/wp-content/upl...dy-sellars.jpg
    wat

Who is that? I must know more

ReputationRep:
    Anencephaly and Harlequin babies are awful Poor bubs.

Weirdest thing I've seen first hand was a few nights ago - walking down to a club, this guy comes up to us holding his right arm up at a right angle, and he said to my friend 'Does this look broken to you?' He'd fallen off a curb, banged his elbow, there was a massive cut underneath his elbow and the bottom of the bone was sticking out. We both said yes emphatically and tried to get him to go to A+E but he 'wanted to go clubbing' so there was little we could do. Surreal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    wat

Who is that? I must know more
    A lady called Mandy Sellars. She's done several interviews and documentaries regarding her condition. She weighs 280lbs, 200lbs of which are her legs alone! Look her up, she has her own website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone.)
    The resemblance to a famous figure is uncanny but it's still a baby.....so kindly STFU.

What happens to such individuals if anyone knows?
    The condition is generally detected prior to birth via ultrasound, so many parents choose to abort their baby. I'm not sure if the doctors advise this. Those that carry on with the pregnancy can give birth to the baby either stillborn, or it will survive a matter of hours (I think one baby actually survived until her 2nd birthday!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disenchanted)
    The condition is generally detected prior to birth via ultrasound, so many parents choose to abort their baby. I'm not sure if the doctors advise this. Those that carry on with the pregnancy can give birth to the baby either stillborn, or it will survive a matter of hours (I think one baby actually survived until her 5th birthday!).
    :confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_K

I think this may be the one you mean

Why anybody would knowingly give birth to a creature like that i will never understand. It seems cruel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.