Turn on thread page Beta

Weirdest medical thing you've ever seen? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    :confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_K

I think this may be the one you mean

Why anybody would knowingly give birth to a creature like that i will never understand. It seems cruel.
    It states that the mother was of Christian faith, and she probably believed that God intended her child to be this way and so continued with the pregnancy (and many Christians are against abortion). It wasn't a 'creature', it was a baby girl, just stricken with a very horrid disease. Oh and I must have misread it the first time, Baby K survived for 2 and a half yeas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone.)
    What happens to such individuals if anyone knows?
    They die. Rapidly.

ReputationRep:
    Most of you will never understand the nightmares I have. They're not about funny looking people or weird or wonderful syndromes. They're about people who present atypically with everyday diseases that we could have saved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Most of you will never understand the nightmares I have. They're not about funny looking people or weird or wonderful syndromes. They're about people who present atypically with everyday diseases that we could have saved.
    How do you deal with it?

ReputationRep:
    Fistula. Now there's some nasty rule 34.

ReputationRep:
    During my work experience, I saw a guy come into A&E with both of his eye-balls dangling out! He seemed fine! He was even laughing! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    Harlequin Ichthyosis.

This

ReputationRep:
    I went to this museum called MUTTER MUSEUM in Pennsylvania and i saw biggest tumor tumor or stool. I forgot what i was and it was interesting. I've seen a lot in that museum actually. But i have a patient and i always clean his artificial eye balls. Its kinda creepy that i have to take the eye balls out of his eye socket.

and also elephantiasis.

ReputationRep:
    If they're born without brains, what do you think? :facepalm2:
    What a stupid answer. People are born without a lot of things and some live life regardless. I was asking what stance doctors would assume considering it goes beyond incubators and life-machines.

Just goes to show that even with a brain, some people still manage to be completely useless. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid answer. People are born without a lot of things and some live life regardless. I was asking what stance doctors would assume considering it goes beyond incubators and life-machines.

Just goes to show that even with a brain, some people still manage to be completely useless. :rolleyes:
    Brain/ Limb. Difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Brain/ Limb. Difference.
    When did I ever talk about limbs? There's also a difference between the truth and inventing things to up your post count. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Well, ask a stupid question and a stupid answer is what you get.

To answer what stance doctors would assume, if there is no chance of the patient ever recovering they generally want to end care and provide comfort measures. If the parents disagree they have to continue until the doctors go to court over it though.

Should it go to court it would depend how the judges ruled on the day obviously, but you might want to look at some cases like Re A (Children), which deal with questions of the legality of allowing a patient to die.

ReputationRep:
    Well, ask a stupid question and a stupid answer is what you get.

To answer what stance doctors would assume, if there is no chance of the patient ever recovering they generally want to end care and provide comfort measures. If the parents disagree they have to continue until the doctors go to court over it though.

Should it go to court it would depend how the judges ruled on the day obviously, but you might want to look at some cases like Re A (Children), which deal with questions of the legality of allowing a patient to die.
    What is so stupid about asking a general question on a topic I know nothing about? One would think this a discussion forum but judging by some of the replies here, doubt sets in. Thanks nevertheless for the good answer. It took a while.

By the way Piglet, it'd be nice if you actually responded with a well-formed rebuttal instead of scurrying behind your negative rep power of 3. Or is that too hard for you?

ReputationRep:
    If they're born without brains, what do you think? :facepalm2:
    They're born without a forebrain. It's not like their whole brain is missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    They're born without a forebrain. It's not like their whole brain is missing.
    Well, i don't know about you, but i wouldn't consider someone who is hooked up on a ventilator with no chance of ever having a concious existence to be truly alive, though they may still be alive technically.

I certainly would not want to be "alive" in that state.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i don't know about you, but i wouldn't consider someone who is hooked up on a ventilator with no chance of ever having a concious existence to be truly alive, though they may still be alive technically.

I certainly would not want to be "alive" in that state.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree. I was just correcting those saying they had no brain at all.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_K

I think this may be the one you mean

Why anybody would knowingly give birth to a creature like that i will never understand. It seems cruel.
    They aren't a creature. They are a person's baby.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Smiles_m)
    This made me want to cry! It's so awful for the baby and their parents. How can people say it looks like a frog, so heartless.
    Because it really does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Because it really does.
    You know some pretty ******* funny looking frogs then mate.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Organ)
    You know some pretty ******* funny looking frogs then mate.
    http://www.ghulabo.com/songs/audio/s...opcorn%201.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nencephaly.jpg

They don't look anything alike to you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.