Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys ; ) I'm having some problems with wrtiting the report for the DME in Modern. Our teacher gave us the 2007 paper 2 to do at home, but to be honest, I've never written a report and I have no idea how to do it.

Could you please give me some advice about how to tackle the DME?

thanks anyway ; )
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I'll try my best and if i was at home I'd get the paper out/my answer/my teachers comments etcetc but can't do that.

Basically, read the question, and get it into your head what you've to argue. Go through and read and look at all the statistical sources and maybe highlight some things that relate to the question.
    Then read both source A and source B, underlining things which relate to the sources/question. After this you should have an idea if you're for or against the proposal. Briefly write down 3 (depends what you've been taught really?) arguments for and against the proposal and make quick notes on what other statistical sources they relate to, etc.

I don't know how you've been taught to structure the report but i'll show you mine (and it works as I got 17/20 for the DME in the exam)

To: (eg. Name, The Health Minister, etcetc)
    Date: today's date
    Subject: the proposal title

Introduction - brief overview of what the proposal is and quick mention of some of your arguments for and against

Recommendation - say whether you are rejecting or recommending the proposal

Arguments for my recommendation - bullet points stating your reasons for recommending

Reason 1 - say the reason, develop it, back it up with sources and background knowledge and repeat for any other resasons

Reasons for rejecting and rebuttal - bullet points stating reasons why people may reject it

Reason 1 - briefly say why people may reject it (possibley back it up if you can't use a source anywhere else) then basically use your sources and background to say how this is not a valid reason for rejecting the proposal and how the source may be exagerated etcetc.

Conclusion - sum it all up, stating your recommendation again, maybe summarise your main reasons.

1. annotate the margin whenever you use a source or background knowledge (eg. A, B, C1, C2, BK, etc)
    2. mix up all your sources in each reason, like don't have source A, A, C1, C1, C2, C3, C3, BK, BK, BK. Instead, have something like A, BK, C3, A, BK, C1, C2, BK, C1, etc.
    3. make sure you use ALL the sources AT LEAST once and loads of BK.

Think that's me done. Hope this helps.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.