Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I really hope the girl I'm porting about at my school doesn't read this but I needed to talk to someone anonymously about an issue I've been having Oxbridge wise. My History teacher kindly agreed to do some practice interview questions once a week with me and another girl who also wants to study History at Oxford. The problem is that this other girl's got that drama-school way of speaking about her, and I've gotta say I find her a bit intimidating. She's popular and clever and confident and she just talks and talks- I can't get a word in edgeways depsite doing all I can to make my points( short of interrupting her mid-flow that is). Anyway she's really starting to demoralise me, I come out of every session feeling mroe depressed about my chances and more like there's no point in me even trying because what I have to offer will never be good enough. Any suggestions as to how to keep my morale up and not end up so distraught I get nervous and don't do myself justice?

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like me.

I didn't get in.

My friend, quiet and unremarkable, got in.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that won't be happening if you get invited for an interview, so there's certainly no need to worry there. Treat the practice interview as just that; it's not an assessment, but rather a time to learn to achieve more in the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Could you say to your teacher, please can I have one session 121 as that will be more like the actual interview? You really only need one practice interview; doing lots of sessions risks you coming across as "coached", which they hate.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get a word in edgeways, it doesn't necessarily reflect badly on you.

Indeed, in group/tutorial discussions, you should articulate your point intelligently and confidently, but you also need to listen to others and allow them to express themselves.

This girl, from your description, appears to lack that ability. Concentrate less on her manner of speech, and instead assess the content of her words. Then strike at will!

Don't be intimidated; do your research and get stuck into the debates !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    She sounds like me.

I didn't get in.

I assume oxford gave you an interview. So how did you feel after the interview? Did you have a gut feeling that you done badly? or was it a complete surprise that they didn;t offer you a place?

ReputationRep:
    Ask your teacher if it would be possible to have a separate, one-on-one interview, as that's how it is in the real thing. If not, just man up for now, and remember that it's only a practice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    She sounds like me.

I didn't get in.

u mad quiet and unremarkable > you?

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ReputationRep:
    Be yourself!

ReputationRep:
    allow this h0e. tell her what you're telling us.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I was actually lucky in that my teacher seems to have noticed this too and came up to me at the end of our session last week and offered to do a one to one with me so that I could get a word in edgeways!

It's reassuring to know they're looking more for content than style, I'll try not to let myself be put off by people seeming more "polished" in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billieerin23)
    The problem is that this other girl's got that drama-school way of speaking about her, and I've gotta say I find her a bit intimidating. She's popular and clever and confident and she just talks and talks- I can't get a word in edgeways depsite doing all I can to make my points( short of interrupting her mid-flow that is).
    If you can get one-on-one then that is great, but most tutorials in Oxford are in pairs so you have to learn to work with people who think and present themselves in a different way to your own. Sometimes you won't get a word in edgeways and sometimes you will feel like you are carrying the discussion entirely by yourself, but it's important not to let it get you down.
    If you can get one-on-one time then great! But you shouldn't necessarily feel guilty about interrupting your partner - pick her up on something she has said (so she knows you have been listening to her) and try to raise something else as a subsidiary point.

That said, all the people who I would put anywhere near the 'History Genius' category have generally been fairly quiet and unassuming. The kind of people who don't necessarily say all that much or push themselves into the limelight, but who - when they do speak - articulate their ideas in a really clear and well-thought way that can flip a tutorial on its head. Obviously this isn't always the case and some people are very chatty and still say all the right things, but in such an intense situation most people just talk through their ideas as they come into their head and it is a lot more jumbled.
    Basically there's no ideal historian - two years of tutorial partners have shown me how different people (all of whom are very smart) can express themselves in totally different ways. Don't get yourself down by thinking that this girl is automatically the model student - confidence isn't necessarily what tutors are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mook)
    If you can get one-on-one then that is great, but most tutorials in Oxford are in pairs so you have to learn to work with people who think and present themselves in a different way to your own. Sometimes you won't get a word in edgeways and sometimes you will feel like you are carrying the discussion entirely by yourself, but it's important not to let it get you down.
    If you can get one-on-one time then great! But you shouldn't necessarily feel guilty about interrupting your partner - pick her up on something she has said (so she knows you have been listening to her) and try to raise something else as a subsidiary point.

That said, all the people who I would put anywhere near the 'History Genius' category have generally been fairly quiet and unassuming. The kind of people who don't necessarily say all that much or push themselves into the limelight, but who - when they do speak - articulate their ideas in a really clear and well-thought way that can flip a tutorial on its head. Obviously this isn't always the case and some people are very chatty and still say all the right things, but in such an intense situation most people just talk through their ideas as they come into their head and it is a lot more jumbled.
    Basically there's no ideal historian - two years of tutorial partners have shown me how different people (all of whom are very smart) can express themselves in totally different ways. Don't get yourself down by thinking that this girl is automatically the model student - confidence isn't necessarily what tutors are looking for.
    Thanks this advice is really helpful, I'll try not to let myself get so intimidated in future. I guess I was getting bogged down by superficial considerations when it's really what's inside that counts.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.