Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PhD proposals for theoretical areas watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all,

I am currently studying for my masters and I am thinking about applying for a PhD in a theoretical area of the subject. I know specifically what I want to research but I'm finding it hard to write my research proposal. The guide I have looked at says that you should come up with a question, write limitations of current literature etc. but in an area like some theoretical mathematics, say, how can you come up with that?

I really love what I study and would love to do further research into it but I'm finding it hard to come up with a question. Whereas in an area I wouldn't like so much - of an applied nature - it would be very easy for me to write a good research proposal because you know exactly what data you need or what problems you might encounter etc. I don't see much room for debate in some areas of mathematics.

I would talk to professors in the subject at my university but I feel embarrassed to talk to them about it; especially if I then have to end up asking if they'll be willing to supervise me. Therefore I hope I can gain some advice from some of you who might be enrolled in graduate programmes.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that the application forms will ask for a full research proposal? I know for example in theoretical physics they mostly don't. They just want to know the general area. You'll have to check/ask and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt180)
    I would talk to professors in the subject at my university but I feel embarrassed to talk to them about it; especially if I then have to end up asking if they'll be willing to supervise me. Therefore I hope I can gain some advice from some of you who might be enrolled in graduate programmes.
    I hate to be blunt but this is exactly what you should do so grow a pair!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.