The Student Room Group

REALLY upset with my life :'(

Hi I'm a guy, 19, 5'11, white, and a 2nd year who's moved in on campus again.

Basically I made no friends in my first year. I am living with freshers this year and this week has been freshers week. I have tried making friends with them but I thought it was weird for me to do so because they are freshers and I'm a second year (is it weird?) and I don't want them to know I have no friends. So after freshers week I still have no friends. They bring people round every night and I can hear them shouting and singing and laughing and having a good time while I am sat in my room alone. It really upsets me.

I am 19 and I have never kissed a girl. I have never danced with a girl and I have never even had a conversation with a girl. I see all these guys with girls and hear all these people having sex and everything and it really upsets me. I get really put down.

I have had no real chance of meeting anyone. I go to a Birmingham uni and pretty much everyone on my course is Asian or extremely weird. There literally is no one I can befriend or even get along with. Now it's the second year and most people are living off campus I won't be able to go anywhere with them so even if I do make friends I won't be able to do anything with them.

I'm really upset and I need some help/advice/whatever. I am a really cool guy, but for some reason people just don't seem to like me. Even my flatmates now don't include me in anything even though I have made conversation with them. They just don't seem to like me.

All I really want is just a social life. I don't want a huge one, but just a couple of girls and a few guys as friends would be awesome. That is all I want.

How can I possibly go about making friends with anyone and how do I actually get a social life?

Scroll to see replies

Go out of your way to be friendly to people :smile:
Join clubs/societies?
Put yourself out there :smile:
What happend during your first year? Was it the same situation then?

Try befriend other 2nd students on your course.
Reply 3
Can't really tell if this is a joke or not, if it is, you've actually done it quite well, and if it isn't, then i'm afraid you're deluding yourself a little bit.
Jeffy91
I go to a Birmingham uni and pretty much everyone on my course is Asian or extremely weird.

Business management or Accounting? :giggle:
Reply 5
Bektas
What happend during your first year? Was it the same situation then?

Try befriend other 2nd students on your course.

My flatmates sucked last year and I didn't make friends with people on my course because I didn't know how to. Sounds weird but I couldn't make that step from acquaintance to friend and so didn't end up with any. Now all the ones I kind of got on with have moved off campus so I won't be able to hang or go out with them and I don't know how to penetrate into groups that are well established.
Reply 6
Orwell
Can't really tell if this is a joke or not, if it is, you've actually done it quite well, and if it isn't, then i'm afraid you're deluding yourself a little bit.

How am I deluding myself?
Reply 7
Ah man.. Sounds like a bad situation to be in!
i would say join some societies, where everybody socialize with each other, like, drama/theater or sumthing?
Also is there any of your characteristics/behaviour that may be perfectly normal to you, but which maybe is off putting to others that you can think of?
Reply 8
BIRMINGHAM ftw.
Reply 9
I feel sorry for you and all but.. if you don't put yourself out there you won't make any friends. just go through to your flatmates with a crate of beer and ask if you can join them, relax. join some societies, get a part-time job which employ young people, get some new hobbies, anything :smile:
What's wrong with making friends with Asians, do you naturally think they won't like you? And don't say they are different to you, because a lot of them are westernised over here and I've seen groups mixed with asians, blacks, whites etc. It is true that people of their own kind are more likely to stick with their own (asians with asians, blacks with blacks, whites with whites, whatever) but it doesn't mean you can't get in their social circle.
(edited 13 years ago)
Get a part time job, works a treat. like a sales adivsor, or at a pub, club or waiter, somewhere very social. work ppl tend to go out after too. and then you meet more and more ppl.
Trust, if you try this and it doesn't work i'll be very suprised. I met my best mate through work.

Or join a club like football, basketball or rugby where they often go out after training.
Reply 12
Change your personality.
Reply 13
+ OP is racist, and you ARE one of those extremely weird ones :lol:
Reply 14
SirRamAlot
What's wrong with making friends with Asians, do you naturally think they won't like you? And don't say they are different to you, because a lot of them are westernised over here and I've seen groups mixed with asians, blacks, whites etc. It is true that people of their own kind are more likely to stick with their own (asians with asians, blacks with blacks, whites with whites, whatever) but it doesn't mean you can't get in their social circle.

No I just can't generally get on with them. They are either freshie, too quiet/boring/not interested in being friends, or too over the top sociable that they don't like me.

Anyway why aren't you going out to the freshers ball?
Most of the time, when people have this problem, it's cos they're afraid to put themself out there & i know this is easy to say. but what i mean is, you gotta pluck up the courage to go up to someone and strike a conversation. Conversations can end quickly if you don't sustain them.. and by this I mean, ask lots of questions about their lives, their friends, their halls, their subject. Make comparisons with the stuff they're saying 'oh I used to have a friend who liked ____ ' 'Really? I've always wanted to do that'. I know this sounds wrong, but to make yourself interesting (if you're not), you can exaggerate or 'big yourself up' just a tiny bit.. i don't mean boast. i mean things like just throwing in things about your past experiences with ur friends.. 'me and my friends used to go to ____ and do ____ '. Make people think you have had experiences with girls/lots of friends in the past. 'Why do girls always take so long to get ready?!'

And the biggest problem with people like you (and me) I think, is that we're too afraid of sounding like idiots if we say something and 'getting rejected' if we put ourselves out there. Once that fear has gone, the problem disappears trust me.

You gotta become confident enough to say things, and talk to people, and the first step to doing that is accepting that your just the same as all the other people at uni. Just cause they've had conversations and sex with girls and you haven't, doesn't make them better than you or a different species of human.

I know the weirdest and most eccentric people who have finally made friends because they just put themselves out there. Just engage. Be curious about people. Be interested in something cool that you can talk about - music, sport, travel. It may seem like it, but it's not hard to get someone to like you. & most of the time, all this 'they don't like me' ******** is all in your head.

Good luck :smile:

xxx
Jeffy91
No I just can't generally get on with them. They are either freshie, too quiet/boring/not interested in being friends, or too over the top sociable that they don't like me.

Anyway why aren't you going out to the freshers ball?

Surely there's gotta be someone you get along with? I can describe a lot of white people like that (except for the freshie bit).

Who says you have to go early.

Are you at Birmingham or Aston?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
SirRamAlot
Surely there's gotta be someone you get along with? I can describe a lot white people like that (except for the freshie bit).

Who says you have to go early.

Are you at Birmingham or Aston?

Aston.
Reply 18
duskflower
Most of the time, when people have this problem, it's cos they're afraid to put themself out there & i know this is easy to say. but what i mean is, you gotta pluck up the courage to go up to someone and strike a conversation. Conversations can end quickly if you don't sustain them.. and by this I mean, ask lots of questions about their lives, their friends, their halls, their subject. Make comparisons with the stuff they're saying 'oh I used to have a friend who liked ____ ' 'Really? I've always wanted to do that'. I know this sounds wrong, but to make yourself interesting (if you're not), you can exaggerate or 'big yourself up' just a tiny bit.. i don't mean boast. i mean things like just throwing in things about your past experiences with ur friends.. 'me and my friends used to go to ____ and do ____ '. Make people think you have had experiences with girls/lots of friends in the past. 'Why do girls always take so long to get ready?!'

And the biggest problem with people like you (and me) I think, is that we're too afraid of sounding like idiots if we say something and 'getting rejected' if we put ourselves out there. Once that fear has gone, the problem disappears trust me.

You gotta become confident enough to say things, and talk to people, and the first step to doing that is accepting that your just the same as all the other people at uni. Just cause they've had conversations and sex with girls and you haven't, doesn't make them better than you or a different species of human.

I know the weirdest and most eccentric people who have finally made friends because they just put themselves out there. Just engage. Be curious about people. Be interested in something cool that you can talk about - music, sport, travel. It may seem like it, but it's not hard to get someone to like you. & most of the time, all this 'they don't like me' ******** is all in your head.

Good luck :smile:

xxx

How would I then escalate it from having one conversation to going out with them? And how would I organise going to a club with them if they are in a solid group of friends?
Join clubs/societies. Hockey is a great soc, and has 50/50 playing and social members. Many other clubs/socs at aston are the same. You'll meet loads of people, be able to go to clubs etc with them, which will get you more confidence with speaking to people and approaching girls etc. Get £50 or so in your pocket, get yourself down to the guild on sunday at 11-4, and sign up to a few socs. then go to the meetings, and see which groups of people you like, and stick with the clubs. It's our uni's form of networking.

Latest

Trending

Trending