Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

School advisors told me to study design at college when I finished, so I did, had no idea why, but had no idea what I wanted to do as a career. Finished college, got a job for a newspaper designing adverts, after a while I got promoted, but my new position involved no design work what so ever, I didnt have a passion for design anyway. And then I stayed in the same position for about a year, not doing anything new.

So went back to the careers adviors and told them the kind of work I like doing, told them I wanted a career and something that will get me somewhere in life, I did some personality test (or something tests, which apparently told me where I'd be best suited). I ended up going to uni studying business, management and accountancy.

The three year degree was quite diverse, there was lots of modules that had no relation to other modules, like one semester i'd do financial analysis one module, then another would be legal and ethical, another would be economics, and then the 4th module business re-organisation.

Like the course wasnt really specified to a certain aspect of business, anyway I was torn over whether I liked the management, entrepeneurship or accounting modules best. Well I graduated this year I got offered an unpaid internship assisting the financial manager of an organisation but it doesnt start for another 2 weeks, but I started self learning ACCA, thought it would really help towards a career in accounting. Whilst waiting for the internship I started working fulltime as a sales and marketing administrator, where im the main point of contact between the marketing manager and sales manager.

And to be honest im getting really bored of it all, I dont like the job im doing now, and I dont feel like doing accounting anymore. Ive been doing it for three years at uni, and it feels like im back at the begining again, I just wanna do something different, like take a year out or something.

But ina year when I go to look for a job and im like yeah ive got no experience and I havent worked for a year dont think ill get very far in a career.

Should I carry on with the marketing and sales as im getting paid, but I dont think I have much chance for promotion. Go into the unpaid accounting job, which in the future will probably be my best chance at a career, or take a few months travelling, or doing something else and see how I feel in a few months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audiowave)
    Hi,

School advisors told me to study design at college when I finished, so I did, had no idea why, but had no idea what I wanted to do as a career. Finished college, got a job for a newspaper designing adverts, after a while I got promoted, but my new position involved no design work what so ever, I didnt have a passion for design anyway. And then I stayed in the same position for about a year, not doing anything new.

So went back to the careers adviors and told them the kind of work I like doing, told them I wanted a career and something that will get me somewhere in life, I did some personality test (or something tests, which apparently told me where I'd be best suited). I ended up going to uni studying business, management and accountancy.

The three year degree was quite diverse, there was lots of modules that had no relation to other modules, like one semester i'd do financial analysis one module, then another would be legal and ethical, another would be economics, and then the 4th module business re-organisation.

Like the course wasnt really specified to a certain aspect of business, anyway I was torn over whether I liked the management, entrepeneurship or accounting modules best. Well I graduated this year I got offered an unpaid internship assisting the financial manager of an organisation but it doesnt start for another 2 weeks, but I started self learning ACCA, thought it would really help towards a career in accounting. Whilst waiting for the internship I started working fulltime as a sales and marketing administrator, where im the main point of contact between the marketing manager and sales manager.

And to be honest im getting really bored of it all, I dont like the job im doing now, and I dont feel like doing accounting anymore. Ive been doing it for three years at uni, and it feels like im back at the begining again, I just wanna do something different, like take a year out or something.

But ina year when I go to look for a job and im like yeah ive got no experience and I havent worked for a year dont think ill get very far in a career.

Should I carry on with the marketing and sales as im getting paid, but I dont think I have much chance for promotion. Go into the unpaid accounting job, which in the future will probably be my best chance at a career, or take a few months travelling, or doing something else and see how I feel in a few months?
    Yo future or not, do something you'll enjoy. Reason being, if an employer asks you about your previous experience (directly related or not), if you can actually say you learnt things from it, it'll be more beneficial than droning on about something you didn't enjoy and wouldn't really like to repeat. At the end of the day, if the job requires something you need to have done, and you have done it, but didn't enjoy it, it's not exactly the right career for you right?

If you're getting paid, think about how your current financial requirements put you in place. Don't think 18 months time as if you've worked hard and gained proper experience, and come across as the right type of person, it doesn't matter if it's the right sector.

Do what you'll enjoy, do it to the best of your ability. End of, no matter what speccy **** has to say otherwise. Trust.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.