Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    at my school there's a lot of talk about continuing physics after gcse. My main query is whether physics becomes highly theoretical and it's neccesary to take maths as well. would anyone be able to verify this?

ReputationRep:
    If you get anything less than an A* in physics at GCSE, drop AS physics a.s.a.p. You will never survive. Also AS physics is the same as mechanics in A2 maths. That is the level you must be at.

ReputationRep:
    A-level physics is a big step up from GCSE. My course at least (AQA), does incorporate a lot of mathematics, however while the study of AS maths is very useful, it is by no means necessary. If you are a competant mathematician, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    and just to confirm: the maths neccesary will be taught (to some degree at least) during the course. AQA is my exam board 2 btw

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to do physics, you'll be better off doing maths as well, but its not required. You'll just have to pay a bit more attention during the mechanics sections. If you do maths, make sure you do mechanics in the first year otherwise it'll be a bit pointless in terms of helping out with physics.

ReputationRep:
    You'll definitely need to know how to use maths at a certain level and taking maths will help you, but it's by no means impossible without it.
    And to the person that said you should drop physics AS if you don't get an A* is talking utter rubbish.
    I got a B in physics GCSE and a very high A in physics AS.

ReputationRep:
    i find that physics is actually really easy. as long as you can understand the formulas and spend 30 minutes learning definitions (the one boring part of A-level physics) then you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    could someone give an example of a formula? pretty please?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing physics but not maths. There is a lot of maths involved but it's nothing I can't do, if you don't want to do maths as well make sure you do have a really good understanding of gcse maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmotlord)
    could someone give an example of a formula? pretty please?
    The suvat equations are ones you need to know, so you can look them up.They are pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much, is this an average/hard/easy example would u say?

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much, is this an average/hard/easy example would u say?
    The equations themselves are easy, but you have to be good at rearranging and applying the right equation to a question. Get in lots of practise and it gets easy.

ReputationRep:
    so its like algebra in maths?

ReputationRep:
    to ensure a good grade in physics- maths is useful as physics involves a lot of mathematical topics from the start such as specific charge (AQA). The theory begins to overlap the mathematical content in AS mainly due to the depth of the topics. However, the mathematical content can differ a student that gets a B or an A*. If u aint doing maths, pick it!!! not only will it help u with all ur subjects but mainly physics, core maths isnt tht difficult and mechanics is another physics lesson repeated =)

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly recommend you take AS maths too, I got an A in AS physics and maths, I felt that because I was constantly rearranging equations in maths, this helped with that in physics, even in the particle physics and electricity unit, because that also involved equations. People may think that its just knowing the equations, but rearranging them is a skill, and this constantly practiced all the way throughout maths. Out of 45 people doing AS physics, 5 people got an A in physics, all of those got As in maths, including me, two guys did further maths, one who got A* in maths and further maths( he did both AS and A2 in one year) and he got 300/300 in AS physics. I found that the hardest bit was HSW and stupid practical, which i got a D in, even though my exam results were so high my overall grade is an A. All those who got B and C grades did maths too and some did further maths. What I noticed was that many people who got Us and Es tended to have weaker gcses in maths and many of them didn't do maths at a-level.

ReputationRep:
    so its like algebra in maths?
    Yeah but make sure you have got rearranging down well, it's what most of the guys in my class are struggling with.

ReputationRep:
    Actually algebra is kind of my thing so gd news 4 me Just 2 check, how did u do at maths gcse?

ReputationRep:
    Actually algebra is kind of my thing so gd news 4 me Just 2 check, how did u do at maths gcse?
    I got an A* in maths and physics in gcse,but quite a few of the guys got Bs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    I got an A* in maths and physics in gcse,but quite a few of the guys got Bs.
    in maths? i can probly do tht...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertheOJI)
    If you get anything less than an A* in physics at GCSE, drop AS physics a.s.a.p. You will never survive. Also AS physics is the same as mechanics in A2 maths. That is the level you must be at.
    Lol, theres someone in my class who got a C. I dont know what you make of that but...

Anyway, I disagree that it is akin to M1, but I agree it is very hard and many in my class have dropped it, despite being good at it at GCSE.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.