The Student Room Group

Anyone ever noticed that anytime you read about/see someone with grade AAA, its science subjects? What does this tell us about science subjects?

Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

Im interested to hear what people have to say

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Note:i study sciencey a levels myself

Edit: people are starting to compare science with things like media /drama
Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

bloomblaze
Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

tells us that the people taking science are, most of the time, devoted and hard working
Reply 2
The smartest people among us won't be taking subjects like Media Studies etc.
Reply 3
that science alevels are easier then arts alevels, for most people. :smile:
Reply 4
Because maybe the people doing a full science A-level are good at the subject and the terrible people most likely dropped it at AS? Or it could be that the people capable of getting AAA are not taking media studies and drama.
Reply 5
I think it's just that they put more work in.
My friend took two sciences and it was in no way easy and she did quite badly because she wasn't putting in the work that the other students were.
Reply 6
fallout201
The smartest people among us won't be taking subjects like Media Studies etc.

I was meaning sciences in comparison to traditional arts subjects, of which media studies is not one.

I meant things like English lit/languages/history
It tells us that a lot of clever people are scientific.
Reply 8
It shows that science exams are objective, therefore if you have thoroughly learnt the material and revised alot, then you're practically guaranteed an A or A*.

no exam technique whatsoever and no ambiguity.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
All the arts students on TSR getting AAA aren't on TSR, too busy drowning under essays :p:
Reply 10
Well, i don't think it makes them any easier, they just tend to do them because they are good at them, and interested in them. They can hardly be considered as easy, as they wouldnt be considered by unis as strong A Levels otherwise. Arts is more of a, if you're good at it, you're good at it; and if not, you're not. And i think some people take arts subjects thinking that its easier to do, and then they don't put their all in, and do worse.
But its not to say you can only be good at sciences or arts. I take Sciences, and then French. And admittedly I'm better at sciences, but I'd still say I'm pretty strong in French. And I'm pretty good at art too, I done really well in GCSE Art. :nod: Lmao, I was so proud.
Aaand, remember sciences are more common, so you're bound to hear of people doing really well in them. :smile:
:facepalm: at all the first replies.

It doesn't 'tell' you anything. Plenty of people do very well at arts A Levels. It's all about picking the subjects that suit you and your abilities. FYI I only did one science A Level and did very well overall.
(edited 13 years ago)
bloomblaze
Hi all

.. that most are lying..
bloomblaze
I meant things like English lit/languages/history

Science based exams are more about being right than being lucky. For example, imagine a Maths exams, and then imagine an English Literature exam...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
science + maths have defined answers, wheras stuff like lit has no right or wrong answer?
easier to reel off definitions and facts than it is to make up something that sounds plausible.. why did i pick english lit... -.-
samisnothere
tells us that the people taking science are, most of the time, devoted and hard working

Not necessarily.

In some respects, the objective nature of science and maths makes for an easier exam. Of course, the subjects are hard, but the lack of subjectivity allows for good exam technique to give good grades.

Subjective subjects are very difficult to mark. Give a Chemistry A2 paper that is A/B borderline, one examiner will likely give the exact same mark as ten others. Give an English Literature A2 paper that is A/B borderline, each examiner will give a different mark.

It can be easier to get AAA in Biology, Physics and Maths than it would be to get AAA in English Literature, Fine Art and History.
This has been debated before.

Maby because all the sciences have a certain logic behind them, so if you excell at one you are likely to at the others.

EG: There are 4 sciences including Maths, and 5 including Further. But are there 5 essay subjects? Not really, not with the same underlying connection.

Im not saying the sciences are the hardest A levels, but I think its hard for anyone to judge unless they have done both sets.
Further Maths has one of the highest percentage of people getting A's would you say it is an easy A level ?
No.
The reason why people do well in science subject is because if you choose to do those subjects you are
1. Good at it
2. Passionate about it
Reply 18
Chemistry is miles harder than Geography and History. They are a joke in comparison.
Science exams have less variance.

This means they converge on the EV more quickly

Latest