Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone ever noticed that anytime you read about/see someone with grade AAA, its science subjects? What does this tell us about science subjects? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted AAA in Psychology, English Lit & History so I guess I must be the exception to the rule :/

But science is a LOT harder, or at least thats how I found it as A level. I got three As and a D, think it tells you what I'm good at. & I was terrible at maths so didn't even consider taking it.
    I think that the people taking those subjects are ones who have a natural aptitude for them and would be willing to put in the work provided for the higher grades

ReputationRep:
    Well, I got 5 As at AS level and I took four art subjects (five if you count Psychology) but trust me, if I had to take traditional science A-levels, I'd get straight Us. I think it entirely depends on the individual, but it is true that the sciences have more 'Yes, you got it right' or 'No, you got it wrong' answers, whereas things like English Lit and Philosophy are more down to individual interpretation and exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    What ive been considering is that sciences and maths could be easier as there are definite right and wrong answers. Its a matter of learning and recallling facts, but also applies principles and facts to previously unseen situations.

Arts eg eng lit(or history....), are more subjective ie there are not defined right and wrong answers like there is in a sibject like maths for example.
    Can someone who does/did a level eng lit tell me if im right in what ive said in the paragraph above??? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think in most cases for science subjects, there is a scientifically correct answer. You are not really asked to write your opinion critically. In arts subjects, more often your opinion or how you perceive the material is asked, and how you argue it assessed. It's obviously more difficult to fit all the answers in the the gaps based purely on your knowledge of the subject, if you're having to do it through your own opinion.

Maybe that's something like what you wanted to hear?

Having said that, I know plenty of people who got As across the board. (A* wasn't introduced in my year)

ReputationRep:
    As a generalisation, students who take science and maths are generally harder working and are probably very good at it anyway. They're the sort of subjects you're only allowed to take if you're very good at, whereas a lot of subjects (travel and tourism, communication and culture etc.) will accept anyone onto the course...

ReputationRep:
    No i think the real reason is that people who take maths and science know what they are getting themselves into, they know it will have to work hard to get a grade A and so they do.

However, a lot of people take art a levels thinking it is a doss subject and an easy A when although it is not exactly academically demanding, it still requires a whole lot of dedication, time and commitment to get a good grade. And so they end up getting poor grades.

I do maths and art so can make the comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My.Name.Is.Kofi.93)
    Further Maths has one of the highest percentage of people getting A's would you say it is an easy A level ?
    No.
    The reason why people do well in science subject is because if you choose to do those subjects you are
    1. Good at it
    2. Passionate about it
    Which is exactly why some people often choose Art, History, English etc.

ReputationRep:
    Most further maths students get A's. Are they dumb? unlikely. In fact if you made the further maths student switch places with a history student I'd wager the maths student gets an A in history before the history student gets an A in Further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

Im interested to hear what people have to say

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Note:i study sciencey a levels myself

Edit: people are starting to compare science with things like media /drama
    Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences
    Yeah the science subjects are a lot easier at a-level than History/English/Languages because they've been dumbed down a lot more than the core arts subjects. This coming from someone who did a lot of science a-levels. It's a shame really, it means the jump to degree level is much larger and that people who get science a-levels these days know next to nothing actually useful from it.

I've borrowed some of my dad's old a-level textbooks (he did Physics A-level in the sixties) for my first year of my degree course, they cover about half of it. No physics a-level these days covers any real electromagnetism (if you didn't need surface and volume integrals, or the del operator, you didn't study anything useful in electromagnetism) or mechanics (I found myself knowing the majority of the first year mechanic course because I opted to do all five mechanics modules in maths - pretty much everyone else here had covered the first week or so). Science a-levels are pretty pathetic these days.

(N.B: If you're doing A-level chemistry with Edexcel Nuffield - that's the last proper science a-level course. Oh wait, that course has been scrapped now because it was considered "too hard". It was a pretty average course 30 years ago, the others have just got easier.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences
    Hmm. Im one of many people who got an A* in Futher Maths. Looking at the statistics, a third of the people taking Further Maths this year got awarded an A*, by far and away the largest proportion an any subject. Does this make Further Maths the easiest A-level out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    All the arts students on TSR getting AAA aren't on TSR, too busy drowning under essays :p:
    I'm an art student and haven't done a propper essay since GCSE.

...which is prob why i'm on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My.Name.Is.Kofi.93)
    Further Maths has one of the highest percentage of people getting A's would you say it is an easy A level ?
    No.
    The reason why people do well in science subject is because if you choose to do those subjects you are
    1. Good at it
    2. Passionate about it
    Also because with maths, the subjective opinion of the examiner has no effect whatsoever, whereas in art-based subjects like English and History, the difference between getting an A or a D can quite literally be dependent on luck - whether the examiner 'feels' your answer is 'good enough'.

ReputationRep:
    OP is this just something you noticed on TSR or do you have any evidence to back up your suggestion? I know it is true for some subjects (F Maths being one of them) that the grade average is very high, but I'm not so sure that if you compare say Chemistry & English Literature you will find a huge disparity in results.

As for it being about luck, sorry but that's absolute crap. It's true that there is some subjectivity to the arts but not nearly on the scale some of you guys make out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I hear people getting AAA in 'traditional' non-science subjects all the time? What are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    People who take sciences are smarter

ReputationRep:
    Well, at the risk of sounding like a ****, I actually feel pretty good knowing that I managed AAAA with four subjects from Humanities (which the OP thinks are difficult, based on the relative ease of sciences?), and which didn't include a single 'joke' subject -- unless you class Gov&Pol as a joke?

Seriously - the only reason you can see higher grades more frequently in sciences isn't down to the relative ease of them, but due to the fact that sciences are formula based. So, while I worked my arse off writing essays on Neville Chamberlain, the House of Lords, post-Franco Spain, and dystopian fiction...students of science can just learn that M=DV and know that it will never change.

I will admit, it is a lot harder to learn formula after formula and fact-upon-fact for Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths; maybe more so than writing an opinion-based essay. However, to answer the original question in the title:

It tells us that sciences are easier to revise for, but not necessarily easier in terms of content and the amount of knowledge needed. Humanities are harder to revise for, but require little to no in-depth knowledge of the subject so any idiot can attempt (and fail) to do them well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Hmm. Im one of many people who got an A* in Futher Maths. Looking at the statistics, a third of the people taking Further Maths this year got awarded an A*, by far and away the largest proportion an any subject. Does this make Further Maths the easiest A-level out there?
    a third of candidates got an ''a star'' in FM?

If that was true for every subject, people would be saying a levels are too easy, and rightfully so.

Obviously only the best mathematicians take FM, but even still-does it not make anyone else question the exam system when in a course of study 33.3% of candidates get A* (whether it be maths or whatever, that seems too high- i thought the system was set up such that A* was a distinct thing for unis to use to identify the very 'top candidates'- how can they do this when they see FM on your CV and see A* - might they think 'well a third of people get a* in it anyway' what i mean is, it takes away the uniqueness and impressiveness of it if a third get a*- anyone agree??)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Chemistry is miles harder than Geography and History. They are a joke in comparison.
    That is so narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    I will admit, it is a lot harder to learn formula after formula and fact-upon-fact for Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths; maybe more so than writing an opinion-based essay. However, to answer the original question in the title:
    Both Biology and Chemistry A-level require long essay writing in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieRayner)
    That is so narrow minded.
    Is it? I took them both at AS level (Geography I am taking at A2) along with sciences. The sciences are much, much harder in my opinion - and I consider myself better at science than arts.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.