Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone ever noticed that anytime you read about/see someone with grade AAA, its science subjects? What does this tell us about science subjects? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got above AAA in 3 arts/humanities subjects one of them being a language. But I don't think I could have done the same in science subjects. Depends on strengths.

ReputationRep:
    It tells us nothing about science subjects, but rather that science students are more intelligent and conscientious than arts students.

No offence :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    This has been debated before.

Maby because all the sciences have a certain logic behind them, so if you excell at one you are likely to at the others.

EG: There are 4 sciences including Maths, and 5 including Further. But are there 5 essay subjects? Not really, not with the same underlying connection.

Im not saying the sciences are the hardest A levels, but I think its hard for anyone to judge unless they have done both sets.
    History, Politics, Economics, Philosophy and Classics.

TSR is not a representative sample, all it tells you is that lots of straight A science students like student forums....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Well, at the risk of sounding like a ****, I actually feel pretty good knowing that I managed AAAA with four subjects from Humanities (which the OP thinks are difficult, based on the relative ease of sciences?), and which didn't include a single 'joke' subject -- unless you class Gov&Pol as a joke?

Seriously - the only reason you can see higher grades more frequently in sciences isn't down to the relative ease of them, but due to the fact that sciences are formula based. So, while I worked my arse off writing essays on Neville Chamberlain, the House of Lords, post-Franco Spain, and dystopian fiction...students of science can just learn that M=DV and know that it will never change.

I will admit, it is a lot harder to learn formula after formula and fact-upon-fact for Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths; maybe more so than writing an opinion-based essay. However, to answer the original question in the title:

It tells us that sciences are easier to revise for, but not necessarily easier in terms of content and the amount of knowledge needed. Humanities are harder to revise for, but require little to no in-depth knowledge of the subject so any idiot can attempt (and fail) to do them well.
    I dont recall saying i think humanities are difficult. I have no experience with humanities at a level so i cant comment. Personal preference as to what is more difficult comes into peoples judgment.

the point of this thread is that i see most AAA people seem to do sciences(thats what ive experienced-in my experience people with AAA in humanities are much less common) therefore im asking what does this tell us about sciences. Im not saying sciences are easier than himanities or vice versa as i do not know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

Im interested to hear what people have to say

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Note:i study sciencey a levels myself

Edit: people are starting to compare science with things like media /drama
    Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences
    I point you to my grades in my sig. Nice mix of Maths, Science, Humanities & Art :yep:

edit: If you're seeing a majority of students with A's in Science subjects, it could be because the exams are not essay-based, the questions are either right or wrong. Because of this perhaps more ambitious people take the Science subjects because they can evaluate their intellect better - or simply the subjects are easier to achieve A's in - or perhaps more people take Science subjects, skewing your data. An interesting thread though, kudos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Chemistry is miles harder than Geography and History. They are a joke in comparison.
    I have done them both. I got a U for geo and A for chemistry. So I'm going to have to disagree with you there!!

ReputationRep:
    Basically clever people know that taking science/ genuine art (e.g. History) subjects is more likely to get them into a good uni and therefore they take these subjects and due to their intelligence get good marks.

However a lot of people who are less intelligent may take Communication Studies and what not and even get a bad mark in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freerider101)
    I have done them both. I got a U for geo and A for chemistry. So I'm going to have to disagree with you there!!
    Rinsed.Plus, History is so hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Science based exams are more about being right than being lucky. For example, imagine a Maths exams, and then imagine an English Literature exam...
    Being good at English Literature is luck? Please.

You're clearly fine with Maths, since you're studying it at degree level. Just out of interest, how did you fare in Arts subjects in school?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Philosophy, English Literature and Maths and I'm predicted AAA plus an A in further maths AS.
    If possible I would've taken classics and latin as well, confident I could've gotten A predictions in them as well.
    Year 13 btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallout201)
    The smartest people among us won't be taking subjects like Media Studies etc.
    This. If you study sciences and maths subjects you're usually
    (a) Smart
    (b) Forced to do so by your parent/s (in my case it was true)
    (c) Want to get to uni and Media Studies/Child Studies/Studies of Wood Puppets in the 19th Century aren't going to get your to uni...and because you want to go to uni, you are going to try hard.
    (d) Study maths and sciences so you don't have to be with people who study the Mickey Mouse subjects
    (e) Hard working so you don't end up like the Mickey Mouse subject people

Also, in maths and sciences, there is usually a right answer. In art, well you may paint something that you think is great, but your teacher may think it's a pile of garbage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Is it? I took them both at AS level (Geography I am taking at A2) along with sciences. The sciences are much, much harder in my opinion - and I consider myself better at science than arts.
    That's nice. I have three sciences and three arts subjects at A- or AS-level, and I disagree with your opinion... so tell me, what makes your experience universally valid? You happen to have found one subject easier than another; that doesn't mean that said relative 'ease' of subjects is definitive.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences
    I got 2A*s and an A in English, History and Relgious Studies and for me that was far easier than getting the same grades in science would be! (Not saying I didn't work hard but even if I had worked hard at say, Physics, I wouldn't have got an A*) So basically I think it's more down to the person...
    Also, I may be wrong but I think that people who maybe aren't as motivated/clever tend to take English etc because they think it will be easier than science...but then realise it isn't so therefore dont get an A!
    Maybe i'm wrong about all this but this is what ive learnt from my experiences!

ReputationRep:
    Might they think 'well a third of people get a* in it anyway' what i mean is, it takes away the uniqueness and impressiveness of it if a third get a*- anyone agree??)
    No - because FM is exactly that, Further Maths. To get onto the course you need to have displayed exemplary skill in Maths, it's like saying X% of students in the top 5 universities of the country get firsts, ergo firsts aren't good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Both Biology and Chemistry A-level require long essay writing in the exam.
    I was unaware of this. However, I assume they are questions that involve mainly including facts, rather than asking your opinion on the importance of the appendix (for example) in humans?

I dont recall saying i think humanities are difficult. I have no experience with humanities at a level so i cant comment. Personal preference as to what is more difficult comes into peoples judgment.

the point of this thread is that i see most AAA people seem to do sciences(thats what ive experienced-in my experience people with AAA in humanities are much less common) therefore im asking what does this tell us about sciences. Im not saying sciences are easier than himanities or vice versa as i do not know.
    I apologise. I made the assumption that you considered them difficult because of the fact that the thread implies sciences are easy; ergo, humanities must be at the other end of the scale. I'll still stick by the point that sciences are usually fact-based, while humanities are, even when based on facts, examined through essay technique and/or opinion-based questions, making "playing the examiner" easier for science students (IMO)

ReputationRep:
    a third of candidates got an ''a star'' in FM?

If that was true for every subject, people would be saying a levels are too easy, and rightfully so.

Obviously only the best mathematicians take FM, but even still-does it not make anyone else question the exam system when in a course of study 33.3% of candidates get A* (whether it be maths or whatever, that seems too high- i thought the system was set up such that A* was a distinct thing for unis to use to identify the very 'top candidates'- how can they do this when they see FM on your CV and see A* - might they think 'well a third of people get a* in it anyway' what i mean is, it takes away the uniqueness and impressiveness of it if a third get a*- anyone agree??)
    Around that yes. But the pool of canditates is ridiculously small, so in terms of literal numbers, its not many. And considering that Further Maths is designed to be taken by the most able maths students, its not even that surprising.

Its all ridiculous really. Saying to people that A-level history is easy may be greeted with some agreement. But if you go and tell people what you precisely study, then I doubt you get the same response. So for Spanish, you say the Present Subjunctive tense, with only one occurance in the English language. Or instead of Geography, you say, global economics and neo-colonialism, for Physics you say Quantum Physics, Special Relativity and how much Hydrogen and Anti Hydrogen do you need to destroy the world?

Its all down to relative difficulties. Most people would not know what to make of matrices, proofs, hyperbolics, polar coodinates, diferential equations and double differential equations. But thats just part of what you study in Further. Its all just ignorance of what each subject entails really, and a load of snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best mates got AAA in physics, maths and art. He pwns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samisnothere)
    tells us that the people taking science are, most of the time, devoted and hard working
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I got AAA in History, English and Philosophy at A level.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAA in all arts subjects. In my school the more intelligent people (people with better GCSEs and work ethics) took the science subjects and it is down to work ethic and natural flair in these things that took them to As and A*s at A2. With Arts alot more of the people I knew that were highly motivated got AAA or A*AB perhaps this is due to more revision in one subject over the other as well as a natural predispostion towards individual subjects. But alot more consistent work was shown by a higher volume of sciences over arts students.

EDIT: I considered doing A Level Chemistry it was my best science and I had a genuine interest. However, the intellectual calibre of those taking it put me off and having heard of the content of the final A2 Exam I suppose I made the right decision as I knew I was not naturally inclined towards the sciences. Those who do them are ergo better results/more commitment when downhearted.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.