Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone ever noticed that anytime you read about/see someone with grade AAA, its science subjects? What does this tell us about science subjects? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in English Language/Literature. Everyone is a bit different in all fairness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    Well considering the primary determinants of ones grade is the ability to regurgitate knowledge dictated by the exam board with the exam technique specified and not dissent from the framework they deem necessary, it seems probable 'science' subjects are generally easier to prepare for. Exam technique is barely necessary in sciences, objective fact is all that's needed for the grades for the vast majority of questions, irrespective of structure or style of prose.

As for the difficulty of the subject content itself, i think it's largely dependent on the individual.
    Everyone in my further maths class is a genius. Even if they made the exam harder the people in my class will aim to 100% it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    Well considering the primary determinants of ones grade is the ability to regurgitate knowledge dictated by the exam board with the exam technique specified and not dissent from the framework they deem necessary, it seems probable 'science' subjects are generally easier to prepare for. Exam technique is barely necessary in sciences, objective fact is all that's needed for the grades for the vast majority of questions, irrespective of structure or style of prose.

As for the difficulty of the subject content itself, i think it's largely dependent on the individual.
    You cant regurgitate an answer in physics/maths/chemistry to a problem you've never done before as majority of the questions aren't the same as what you learn directly. You can use the 'technique' you've learned and your understanding of equations and your knowledge etc to solve it.

Chem and bio are developing into less regurgitation and more solving (noticed that when i was doing my A levels). There was a huge shift, especially in A2, toward the fact you cant just spout knowledge and get marks any more. You have to understand and apply that knowledge, even adapt it to the situation and the A/A* questions really push you further away from what you've learned and to use your knowledge as a source for a question to which you must formulate your OWN answer too, not a pre-learned one.

Again the ability to do this is really down to the individual, it can be developed though through time but you cant just jump from a C to an A without really putting in a massive effort.

To be honest, you cant really compare the grade values of subjects that are essay or arts based as opposed to science as the foundations are clearly different and require different skills for each. I know people who have done both types of subjects, and done very well in both. I figure its all on the individual and how you work best.

Not that one subject is 'easier' than another per se.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the essay and repetition, I just dislike it when people devalue subjects :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

Im interested to hear what people have to say

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Note:i study sciencey a levels myself

Edit: people are starting to compare science with things like media /drama
    Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences

I personally don't think there's any correlation

PS. I got the above grades and one A was in English Lit, Maybe you should just do a poll?

ReputationRep:
    People pick science because they are good at it - people pick arts subjects when they are unsure as to what to do .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Because maybe the people doing a full science A-level are good at the subject and the terrible people most likely dropped it at AS? Or it could be that the people capable of getting AAA are not taking media studies and drama.
    Just this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Last point is fair, big para makes a few missed points.
    You cant regurgitate an answer in physics/maths/chemistry to a problem you've never done before as majority of the questions aren't the same as what you learn directly. You can use the 'technique' you've learned and your understanding of equations and your knowledge etc to solve it.

Chem and bio are developing into less regurgitation and more solving (noticed that when i was doing my A levels). There was a huge shift, especially in A2, toward the fact you cant just spout knowledge and get marks any more. You have to understand and apply that knowledge, even adapt it to the situation and the A/A* questions really push you further away from what you've learned and to use your knowledge as a source for a question to which you must formulate your OWN answer too, not a pre-learned one.

Again the ability to do this is really down to the individual, it can be developed though through time but you cant just jump from a C to an A without really putting in a massive effort.

To be honest, you cant really compare the grade values of subjects that are essay or arts based as opposed to science as the foundations are clearly different and require different skills for each. I know people who have done both types of subjects, and done very well in both. I figure its all on the individual and how you work best.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the essay :P
    To be honest this doesn't really seem to raise any real contradications with what i forwarded, regurgitation isn't restrained to word-for-word textbook copying; but rather encompasses pre-learned applications of models, modes of thinking, forumula etc.

Par maths, i've found sciences to be largely a regurgitaiton exercises to an equal, if not greater extent than the arts; most questions simply require objective fact (of which have been dictated through exam specification pre-exam), or the rather elementary application of pre-learned models, modes of thinking, formulae or basic deduction given exam board dictated knowledge - few questions, if any seem to requre genuine plastic ingenuity and creativity on the part of the student, or branch out from the knowledge dictated necessary by the exam board pre-exam.

I think the arts differ only in that exam technique and the necessary application of certain modes of thinking are stressed to a significantly greater degree.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ever noticed that anytime you read about/see someone with grade AAA, its science subjects? What does this tell us about science subjects?

That God doesn't exist??

ReputationRep:
    Sciences have two advantages: 1. They are easier to revise for 2. The exams themselves are a lot less subjective

Like in History it's easy enough to be a usual A* grade student but don't quite do something write in the exam and come out with a U. Saying this though, I'm certainly not saying sciences are easier than languages/english lit/History etc I'm just saying it's easier to revise for them and aren't as a subjective in marking

Oh and the likes of history and eng lit are not just regurgitation :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Sciences are based on fact and memorising as well as true understanding of the subject.
    So you have to be intelligent in order to succeed.
    That is why intelligent people choose these subjects.
    So that is why they do well.

In Arts & Humanities you have more flexibility as long as you can justify your argument/statement.

ReputationRep:
    I did sciences with a language at AS. I found Chemistry a lot harder than German. Its a about how people chose subjects too. Nearly everyone I know who does Further Maths gets an A because they are good at it not becaise it is easy. People who had the best results at my school did the arts.

ReputationRep:
    You can have a knack for Maths and do advanced stuff aged 10, but even if you have talent in History/English etc it takes longer for maturity to develop. Maths is much more straightforward and if you have a special talent for Maths and Sciencey stuff, immaturity doesn't stand in your way so much.

ReputationRep:
    I found ALevel English Lit a hell of alot less easier that any of my Sciences or Maths at ALevel. It was my highest mark and by far the least effort put into it. I got 100% on a coursework essay about a book I have to this day never read!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    At AS at my 6th form I had AAAB in Eng Lang, Psych, Socio and Media, predicted AAA at A2 (dropped media)

you're either born with the skills sciene and maths demands or you're more equipped with essay writing/debating skills where it's what you do with information that matters, not if you can simply remember it

ReputationRep:
    You get AAA in the subject you enjoy and work hard. From what my friends have said you learn the syllabus you do loads of past papers then the chance of getting AAA is better. Now I say easier, I mean in terms of if you work hard. There's no way I'd say Science and Maths are easier subjects, but if you have the ability to answer all the questions in the practice papers, then there's little they could ask that would trip you up. Essay subjects are different, there's more room for interpretation - which can work one of two ways. Either the answer is interpreted wrongly and despite writing well you don't hit the question the way it wants. Or you write any old rubbish and somehow manage to get a lot of marks, but if you're good at writing essays then you'll no doubt do reasonably well.

What I'm trying to say in waffling terms is that it's really subjective. Not everyone who gets AAA or higher got them in Science subjects. People get AAA in subjects they work hard in and are passionate about.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

Im interested to hear what people have to say

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Note:i study sciencey a levels myself

Edit: people are starting to compare science with things like media /drama
    Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences

I think Sciences and Maths (and Languages) are genuinely easier to do well in if you are reasonably talented. The reason is that you know the answer or can relatively easily find out the correct answer to any question they could possibly give you. Whereas in arts/humanities subjects such as History or English Lit, there is no "correct" answer. This means that if you have a bad teacher in History/English Lit, it can really mess up your grade: if an incompetent teacher grades your homework and coursework essays as As (10/10) even though an examiner would grade them as Cs - you will never know why you suddenly got a bad grade in an exam / what to do to really improve. Whereas sciences and maths you could easily look up the reason in a book / teach yourself if your teacher is crap.

I'm a scientist btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    You can have a knack for Maths and do advanced stuff aged 10, but even if you have talent in History/English etc it takes longer for maturity to develop. Maths is much more straightforward and if you have a special talent for Maths and Sciencey stuff, immaturity doesn't stand in your way so much.
    This, also.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Not only are the science and math subjects likely to be easier for the person because they picked them, but I also find that a lot of people doing sicences want to do medicine and so will try damn hard to get the best grades. I would say in some ways they are easier as there are right and wrong answers so can lack certain ambiguities, although a lot may see the essay subjects as easier because you can throw in stuff and still get marks. On the whole I think it's just because a lot of people on TSR do sciences XD

ReputationRep:
    Well there are many reasons.

1) Science is objective. If you don't know what that is basically it means that its all straight talking amd no BS. Science is not open to other peoples interpretation but subjects like English language/Literature(which I'm doing for AS) will take a lot more thinking about imo than Biology , Chemistry and Physics(which I'm doing for AS and will for A2) simply need fact and formulas. You just have to regurgitate your lesson notes.

REMEMBER I know we will be going into our 4th week of A Level , IB , BTEC , Scottish Highers etc..... But don't fall into the easy rida trap. We should start reinforcing our knowledge with exam questions. Today I'm starting to do exam questions on topics I have done.

Want GCSE or AS level notes n Assignments etc.... PM Me.

Need notes on A Streetcar named Desire? PM me.

Get a custom made or off the shelf exemplar essay. Go to essayfish.webs.com website under construction

ReputationRep:
    x
    In general, I've found people who take the sciences/maths to be er... 'more clever' than those who take the arts. Before anyone shoots me down, hear me out.

In my school, the vast majority of the 'top' people in the year are doing at least one science and/or maths. The 'normal' people tend to have more arts subjects, like English or History. Don't get me wrong, there are many stupidly clever people at my school doing things like Art or Philosophy but the majority of people who got a kazillion A*s at GCSE are doing the sciences.

So from personal experience, AAA predicted students tend to have science A-levels because they tend to be the more academic people. That's a vast generalisation, I know, but from what I've seen it seems to be the case.

Also, I don't know whether Geography's a science or an art.. I think it counts as a science though I personally think it's an art.. So I go against my own trend :o:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.