Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone ever noticed that anytime you read about/see someone with grade AAA, its science subjects? What does this tell us about science subjects? watch

ReputationRep:
    You just learn all the syllabus' for science and your guaranteed at least a B grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKnowSoMuch!!)
    that the most academic students study them?
    I changed it. :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Because there is a yes or no answer with science/maths, whatever.

History doesn't have a yes or no answer. Nor does English. It's all subjective.

ReputationRep:
    That most of the people capable of getting AAA or higher are scientific. However it's not always science subjects, you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    scientists are totally screwed over when it comes to degree and the 2.1 requirement for many jobs though. In the arts only a handful lof people get less than 2.1 but in science about 1/3 or more of each class get less than 2.1.

Also scientists are asked for higher entry requirements for uni eg. maths at top uni ask for A*AA/A*A*A plus STEP etc. for many places. This is because you will only succeed if you have the right mind to to do so, which is why so many people do not take maths A level in the first place and it becomes much more demanding every stage.

Further Maths is an ineresting one, the top mathematicians breeze through and deserve top grade but there were people in my class who got top grade in maths but D/E in further cause they couldnt hack the step up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    I'd like anyone to come up with an argument on why Further Maths and Physics should be ranked in the same as Media.

But the point is, at A level, Science subjects have objective answers/truths. Arts subjects are subjective. At every stage you want to balance your argument against counter arguments. Always argue extent - which factor was most important, and why? You're working with balancing the various influences.

But it doesn't make Arts subjects harder. I did a combination of the two and they both test different skills, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    Hi all

Anytime i ever read about or meet someone with AAA or higher in A-levels, its always sciences and maths subjects.
    Is this just my experience, or have other people here found the same? Ie anytime you hear about someone getting AAA or more its always sciences

If this isnt just my experience in life, what does this tell us about sciences and maths at a-level(or maybe not confined to a-level)??

Could it be that sciences and maths are easier to do well in than arts subjects, therefore its always science/math people getting AAA or more????

Im interested to hear what people have to say

(note:when i read the newspapers around results time or read peoples results in the TSR sig for example, AAA people are nearly always science and maths, rarely Eng/languages/arts people- has anyone else noticed this??)

Note:i study sciencey a levels myself

Edit: people are starting to compare science with things like media /drama
    Talk about media/drama/'soft subjects' etc if you want, but I was meaning that i never hear of people as many getting AAA in traditional arts subjects like english/languages/history compared to sciences
    Look at the stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I changed it. :o:
    even that isn't right though. History, English Lit, languages etc are still academic subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got AAAA in History, German, Music and Maths, so it's evidently not impossible. (And before you say "Music's not a real subject", it was a damn sight harder than maths) I know plenty of people who've got AAA in arts subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    Ha, OCR biology is about 80% exam technique! Most of the time you know the answer but don't get the marks.
    I have heard that biology is the dodgy one out of all the sciences :p:

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I almost did the exact same thing, I did English, History, Music and Maths

And I found Maths by far the easiest, the one I almost didn't revise for. Likewise, I chose not to do triple science in GCSE because I wanted to challenge myself instead, rather than learn something where all that's needed is a bit of maths skills and the ability to memorise what you're told. IMO that's not really thinking much, just having a good memory.

Nonetheless, I did maths in A level because I just find it interesting, and it's far more logical-thinking based than fact learning.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAA- history, english, ethics + philosophy.

I doubt it's because science are easier subjects- chemistry is in fact probably the hardest a.level

I think that more academic people often take science subjects. But also, science exams are more right or wrong, whilst english and things have a lot more flexibility in them meaning that in many ways they are harder to get high grades. It does depend on the examiner liking your flair and style etc

ReputationRep:
    Actually you're right but that's not due to the subjects being easy but rather the students taking taking them are more clever

ReputationRep:
    It means that science students work harder than you !

ReputationRep:
    I would'v thought the sort of people who end up with all A's are the sort who want to do decent subjects in the first place, science being one of them. You're not going to get someone who is capable of 3 A's doing film, media & drama..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    To be honest this doesn't really seem to raise any real contradications with what i forwarded, regurgitation isn't restrained to word-for-word textbook copying; but rather encompasses pre-learned applications of models, modes of thinking, forumula etc.

Par maths, i've found sciences to be largely a regurgitaiton exercises to an equal, if not greater extent than the arts; most questions simply require objective fact (of which have been dictated through exam specification pre-exam), or the rather elementary application of pre-learned models, modes of thinking, formulae or basic deduction given exam board dictated knowledge - few questions, if any seem to requre genuine plastic ingenuity and creativity on the part of the student, or branch out from the knowledge dictated necessary by the exam board pre-exam.

I think the arts differ only in that exam technique and the necessary application of certain modes of thinking are stressed to a significantly greater degree.
    I see, well i agree mostly. The part in bold, isn't devoid in science though, but its less common (usually the distinguishing question for A/A* candidates). Still, its down to the individual, each person has certain skills and thus they choose the subjects they prefer, arts or science.
    Though its a test of different skills and not really comparable when grades are concerned.

ReputationRep:
    AS Level Chemistry Paper
    &
    AS Level Business Studies Paper

:rolleyes:
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf AS Business Studies.pdf (148.8 KB, 216 views)
  2. File Type: pdf AS Chemistry.pdf (290.7 KB, 96 views)

ReputationRep:
    Sciences have a lot more objective answers. Like maths... you have the method and the solution. So it's easier to pick up most of the marks than in a very subjective essay subject. But having said that, it's only easier if you're good at sciences, some people will be good at each area and that has an effect.

I think what you''ve noticed probably is representative (more people get higher grades in sciences) but there are probably still a fair amount of arts A's as well. Imo anyway.

(Original post by Organ)
    No, Biology Unit 5 has a big essay at the end, as does Salters Chemistry.
    Not noticed this with Salters, unless you count writing 3/4 of a page an essay?

ReputationRep:
    In A2 biology and AS chemistry there's an advance article we have to analyse and answer questions on (comprehension) , so it's not all 'yes' and 'no'.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.