Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've only been at uni two weeks but i really hate it i had doubts for a long time before going and thought it was just nerves.Now i really don't enjoy uni.

ReputationRep:
    Keep at it and you'll settle in and get into a routine

Leave then.

ReputationRep:
    is it because you're living away from home that you're so unhappy?

ReputationRep:
    wht do you hate about it? to hard? different expectation of the student on what they should do compared to college? atmosphere? friends?
    Then ask yourself why did you go to uni in the first place? what did/do you hope to achieve?

ReputationRep:
    i like the course so far just everything else i don't like i suppose part of it is i moved into halls and would rather be at home and everyone i live with is on the same course apart from me.I don't seem to have anything in common with them.The town is very different to were i'm from even though its not too far away.I've got things/people in the college i left that i miss a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieNIN)
    i like the course so far just everything else i don't like i suppose part of it is i moved into halls and would rather be at home and everyone i live with is on the same course apart from me.I don't seem to have anything in common with them.The town is very different to were i'm from even though its not too far away.I've got things/people in the college i left that i miss a lot.
    don't worry, just breathe and give it some time i'm sure it'll all click in after a few more weeks, just get into the swing of the course and see how you feel then. even if it doesn't improve, you'll know that you gave it a good go! if you dropped out now, you'd always wonder what it would have been like..

Let me guess, they didn't let you on the basketball team?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've only been at uni two weeks but i really hate it i had doubts for a long time before going and thought it was just nerves.Now i really don't enjoy uni.

Give it a bit longer - not meaning to sound patronising but it could just be because it's such a big change - it takes some getting used to. Give it till Christmas and then see how you feel. And before you make any radical decisions talk it over with a few people including your folks if you have a good relationship with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Let me guess, they didn't let you on the basketball team?
    Hahaha haven't been yet

ReputationRep:
    Just stick with it for a little longer. Try joining societies or get out doing things that interest you. Your house mates aren't the only ones that you have to interact with of course!

Liking the course is great. I didn't really enjoy my course all that much at first but it got a lot better.

I didn't really have anything in common with any of my house mates, but I found other people that were more similar to me and it got a hundred times better. It just takes a bit of time, but there are going to be people there who are like you.

Also, I'm liking the username.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nelg-o-pad)
    Just stick with it for a little longer. Try joining societies or get out doing things that interest you. Your house mates aren't the only ones that you have to interact with of course!

Liking the course is great. I didn't really enjoy my course all that much at first but it got a lot better.

I didn't really have anything in common with any of my house mates, but I found other people that were more similar to me and it got a hundred times better. It just takes a bit of time, but there are going to be people there who are like you.

Also, I'm liking the username.
    The girls are nice we're just not similar i need to meet more people there.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The girls are nice we're just not similar i need to meet more people there.

Thanks
    You've said it yourself then

Things could be a lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    I've started uni at Chester....and dont get me wrong i love the city and im sure my course will be fine once ive got into a bit more and its started properly...but i really regret the fact that im not in halls...i didnt get into university halls...and so instead ive got my own self contained studio flat...which is lovely in its self...i thought it wouldnt be a lot different as its within a building that is split into other flats and even halls....but no one here is very friendly....they just keep thier doors closed all the time..and theres no where to just hang out and meet people you live with...which is what i really want to do...i just feel so lonely...im not bothered about friends and family back home..just my boyfriend...who ive lived with 2 years...i know im here to do somthign i want to do..to make me happy on my own...but this is just horrible...I'm a very easy going person..and dont take this the wrong way but i do make friends easily...and it hasnt really happend...Yer ive been talking to a few girls on my course...but after lectures finish they just go back to thier halls and hang out with thier friends there....i did go out with them the other night and went round theres before..and thier all lovely and everything but thier already very tightnit...and yer we went out clubbing..not my favourite thing to do..id rather be actually abole to buy a drink at the bar and dance to some band or something..but thats not the main problem....I just hate being sat at home on my own...ive always had my boyfriend there...and just coming back everyday and sitting in my room on my own is doing my head in...Ive joined some clubs and that too..but then its the same people go back to thier halls and hang out there....
    i really hate it and just want to go home.to what i dont know but its better than being lonely..i never thought i would say that

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really enjoying it either... sucks
    I do hope it gets better for you

xx

ReputationRep:
    being in halls isnt as amazing as you'd probably think it is! I miss the fact that when I was at home, my family would leave me to do my work and wouldnt distract me too much, but I hate the fact here everyone in my flat knocks on my door ALL the time and all I want is just to be left alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScreamYourHeartOut)
    being in halls isnt as amazing as you'd probably think it is! I miss the fact that when I was at home, my family would leave me to do my work and wouldnt distract me too much, but I hate the fact here everyone in my flat knocks on my door ALL the time and all I want is just to be left alone!
    I've grown to like being in halls...maybe because it's Loughborough and they're big on the halls experience.. I'm getting involved in RAG (raising and giving) and hall sports. All the halls compete against each other too in the sing off, which is great! it creates a good community feel.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same. I thought that I might love it and meet some great people, but I don't. My flatmates are OK but I don't have much in common with them at all, whereas they can all be buddies together fine. Hopefully, I'll meet more people at societies and on my course, but I'm just not enjoying university.

Yeah, I've gotten drunk and been to the events and talked to people. But this stuff is just not me. I'd rather be at home and with my best mates...

Btw, NIN? Good taste

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. I'm feeling really uncomfortable in my halls where I feel like I only have a couple of friends- the halls themselves are on a completely different campus to the main one, a 30/40 minute walk at the least. I'm starting to feel very isolated and from family circumstances I'm feeling very depressed, and I'm starting to wonder if this was the right choice for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staring.space)
    I'm the same. I'm feeling really uncomfortable in my halls where I feel like I only have a couple of friends- the halls themselves are on a completely different campus to the main one, a 30/40 minute walk at the least. I'm starting to feel very isolated and from family circumstances I'm feeling very depressed, and I'm starting to wonder if this was the right choice for me.
    Is there any way you could transfer closer to home?

I was in a similar position last year, i had friends in my hall and made some close friends on my course, but i still felt how you did. Uni isn't for everyone!

I gave it a year,but only decided to transfer a few days before having to go back for my 2nd year. It has meant i have missed out on a place for this year but i have my place sorted for next year going into my 2nd year at a uni closer to home.

You should still be able to transfer now, especially if it's to do the same thing as they usually don't mind up until the Oct holidays, however if you can try and stick it out for a year then try and transfer next summer, it's much easier to transfer if you've passed your first year already and have 120 credits, they usually let you on any course (obviously has to be a similar kinda path and does depend on some uni's) to start from the 2nd year.

But seriously, if you feel like that then is it really worth being there? It's really not if you feel like that as you can make yourself end up getting ill over it and being happy is far more important.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.