Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people who call themselves British watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahcar)
    I don't really hvae an opinion on this matter! I really should, I'm from Northern Ireland and the town I'm from is all 'WE'RE NOT BRITAIN OR IRELAND WE'RE NORN IRONNNNNNNN'
    But some of my country is counted as Irish and not British- One of my flatmates here in Stirling is from (London)Derry and he's considered Irish- he has an Irish passoprt and driving license etc etc etc... whereas mine is all British.
    It's all down to politics and religion really, and although I am certainly one sided in my religeous views (I will not specify incase I cause any offnese) I'm just sitting on the fence when it comes to the whole Ireland/Northern Ireland/Britain debate I'll be whatever nationality is thrown at me :p:

Edit: although in saying that, ATM I am more inclined to write british on forms rather than irish! :o:
    Posts like yours explain exactly why I feel no affinity towards the Irish.

It's not your fault I might add.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I've heard lots of people complain when someone says the "British accent" but people still refer to the Americans having an "American accent" when there are clearly a lot of accents covering a huge landmass.
    Very true. That hasn't crossed my mind but then why would it, when it doesn't effect me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Try walking around in NI and see how "unified" we actually are...
    I am aware of the problems with Ireland. I feel sorry for those living in Northern Ireland and the pain they go through with all of the instability. My housemates family moved from NI to Somerset not too long ago just to escape the constant worry and violence.

ReputationRep:
    I can't vouch for England, Northern Ireland or Wales, but in my experience Scottish people are Scottish. It's just one of those things; I'm all for the union and I think the SNP are idiots, but I'm not British, I'm Scottish. I think you maybe need to be Scottish to understand it fully.

ReputationRep:

Posts like yours half explain why Evolution is cast into doubt in places like the United States of America.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Meh... I always refer to myself as British rather than English because I cannot stand being English. Hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    I can't vouch for England, Northern Ireland or Wales, but in my experience Scottish people are Scottish. It's just one of those things; I'm all for the union and I think the SNP are idiots, but I'm not British, I'm Scottish. I think you maybe need to be Scottish to understand it fully.
    Yeah this is pretty true
    I like being part of Britain, but I'm Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to say I'm English just out of habit (I don't feel any connection to this country, it's not like I'm 'pure' British blood anyway)- I don't see the point in the United Kingdom anymore, it's not like the countries in it are all on very friendly terms (mainly England and Scotland).

Just to make an awkward comment but I don't get why Wales is a country still - it's more like a county if anything. I know they have their own language but (no offence to the Welsh) it's a dying language - and they aren't terribly different to the English (judging from when I lived in Wales and the Welsh people I met).
    Gah, I guess it's for traditions sake and to keep the nationalists happy.

ReputationRep:

I buckin' don't either!! They need to make up their minds because people like me have no idea what to think or say anymore! It's different for those with really strong political opinions, or those brought up in a certain way, but open minded people pretty much have no identity!

Eejits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Great Britain is actually a pretty big island in the grand scheme of things. It's something like the 9th biggest out of thousands. And it's the 3rd most populated.
    I think you've got your terms mixed up as "most populated" refers to the size of the population (but not in relation to the area of the land) to which we wouldn't be anywhere near third anyway (China is the most populated country followed by India and the USA which is third). I think you meant population density where the UK is actually 51st in the world for being the most densely populated. I do think we are quite densely populated but we aren't that bad compared to other developed countries like Japan, the Netherlands and Belgium though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    I tend to say I'm English just out of habit - I don't see the point in the United Kingdom anymore, it's not like the countries in it are all on very friendly terms (mainly England and Scotland).

Just to make an awkward comment but I don't get why Wales is a country still - it's more like a county if anything. I know they have their own language but (no offence to the Welsh) it's a dying language - and they aren't terribly different to the English (judging from when I lived in Wales and the Welsh people I met).
    Don't upset the Welsh!

ReputationRep:
    I'm half Welsh and half English, I moved to Wales when I was 9 and got bullied alot at school for being a "Saes" *******. The people around here call the English "Saes". I wish Britain could be a united country but the people here in Wales are very racist and practically hate the English and I can see no obvious reason why, ignorance perhaps. It's a shame really . Maybe It's just the area I live in (I hope it is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I am aware of the problems with Ireland. I feel sorry for those living in Northern Ireland and the pain they go through with all of the instability. My housemates family moved from NI to Somerset not too long ago just to escape the constant worry and violence.
    Does sort of shatter this illusion of "unity" does it not?

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I know anyone who refers to themselves as 'Northern Irish'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    I tend to say I'm English just out of habit - I don't see the point in the United Kingdom anymore, it's not like the countries in it are all on very friendly terms (mainly England and Scotland).

Not on friendly terms? What a load of tosh!

Do you not see the point in Spain either? What about Germany or Italy?

The United Kingdom is not something that can be broken up at the drop of a hat, you know. We are one country, just like any other. As for your comment on Wales, the Welsh language is not dying. It's actually growing. Not that I support independence or anything...

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy making Scottish, and generally 'northerner' jokes (I am from London), but identify myself as British and this it would be stupid if the Welsh, English and Scottish couldn't stick together. I mean we have been together for 150 years, our polics have always been pretty intertwined, and seems pointless to divide us.
    The Northern Irish... well I don't mind them tagging along, but would seem less trouble if they were just part of Ireland though :P

ReputationRep:
    Because England drags the rest of them down *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    Well said!!! I'm from Northern Ireland and I absolutely agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-brown28)
    I'm half Welsh and half English, I moved to Wales when I was 9 and got bullied alot at school for being a "Saes" *******. The people around here call the English "Saes". I wish Britain could be a united country but the people here in Wales are very racist and practically hate the English and I can see no obvious reason why, ignorance perhaps. It's a shame really . Maybe It's just the area I live in (I hope it is).
    Sadly, this post will be ignored by people like the OP. Unfortunately, despite his inevitable protestations, it's pretty clear he's never left his bedroom, yet alone visited any of the countries outside of England that make up GB.

The few Welsh people I know I love to pieces, but they themselves would agree with what you've written. I don't quite understand where the hatred has come from.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.