Turn on thread page Beta

English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people who call themselves British watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)

That said, the chip on our shoulders regarding EngLAND doesn't get in the way of our having good functioning relationships with EngLISH people! (except for the royals )
    I beg to differ: Like you say, there is an us and them feeling among the Welsh (not the English strangely enough) This LEADS to the Welsh people hating the engLISH people simply because they're from engLAND.

Its just stupid and inexcusable, we live in 2010 FFS. I mean it's just petty and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I don't personaly see wales as country. I'm British and that's that xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But the royal family aren't really just English. They're British, their bloodline comes from all over Europe really. The Tudors originated in Wales I think, and remember that the unification of England and Scotland started in motion when the Scottish king inherited the English throne.
    I know, and indeed the Tudors did come from Wales (Tudor actually comes from the Welsh Tudur ) but seriously come on, the Royal Family basically totally embody posh, snobby Englishness (the bad kind of Englishness). The main thing as I mentioned is the Prince of Wales. It's hilarious if you can find the video of Charles' crowning as Prince of Wales, the booing going on as it is happening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-brown28)
    I beg to differ: Like you say, there is an us and them feeling among the Welsh (not the English strangely enough) This LEADS to the Welsh people hating the engLISH people simply because they're from engLAND.

Its just stupid and inexcusable, we live in 2010 FFS. I mean it's just petty and ignorant.
    Mate, We're all the same really. Are you argueing for landmass in this era? I don't think teritory will change practically ever in this day and age. Your argument is unclear.

ReputationRep:
    Dora and Curzon, thanks for your posts. Both highly informative and paint a good picture as to why this idea of unity is complete rubbish.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-brown28)

Well, I can certainly befriend and have befriended many English people in my time, but I stick by what I wrote entirely. The same goes for everyone else I know, hell half my Welsh uncles all moved to England and so they have English families, and they are all great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I was being quite facetious :p: Just using them as examples as both are quite proud, independent regions and historically speaking have had some independence from the rest of England. Although I'm sure some Cornish might feel this way what with their independence movement.

Their friendly regions really and love everyone :yep:
    Yeh, I've really only come accross a "Hate the English" mentality in a single area of Wales, so I obviously cannot generalize the whole of Wales. My best freinds are Welsh, I'm Welsh, I just find it annoying that (in my area at least) People don't like the English for no reason whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCharmed)
    I don't personaly see wales as country. I'm British and that's that xD
    Why is that?

You guys don't help anti-English feeling here by saying that Wales is not a country you know

ReputationRep:
    Why is that?

You guys don't help anti-English feeling here by saying that Wales is not a country you know
    Would it help if I said my country, England, in my view is not a country? We are all British FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    Mate, We're all the same really. Are you argueing for landmass in this era? I don't think teritory will change practically ever in this day and age. Your argument is unclear.
    There are a lot of people where I live that don not like the English.
    I'm not arguing, It's just a fact and it's annoying. Like I said before I'M Welsh, my best freinds are Welsh half of my family is Welsh, I've lived in Wales most of my life. All I'm saying, is that some petty "hate" goes on where I live and It's annoying because I don't know why.

ReputationRep:
    Would it help if I said my country, England, in my view is not a country? We are all British FFS.
    Fair enough. Personally I feel that Wales is the country I'm from and not Britain.

ReputationRep:
    We are all GREAT FFS. GREAT BRITAIN.

England has never done it alone under the British Epithet, yet we achived achived and are known for great things despite our mere numbers. We're the largest empire to date, we have so much to be proud of and even ashamed of. Not just England, but all of us. We all contributed historically profoundly to society. Not England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland. We all acted as the same entity DESPITE our differences when it mattered - and that's what being British means. We are a resiliant, hardy nation made up of historic imigrants. We have a unique history, but we're linked to eachother at the very core.

It's something we NEED to value simply because genuinely profound, unique and very special.

ReputationRep:
    I know, and indeed the Tudors did come from Wales (Tudor actually comes from the Welsh Tudur ) but seriously come on, the Royal Family basically totally embody posh, snobby Englishness (the bad kind of Englishness). The main thing as I mentioned is the Prince of Wales. It's hilarious if you can find the video of Charles' crowning as Prince of Wales, the booing going on as it is happening!
    Well it's not really their fault people ignore history and see them that way.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with you; I always state my nationality as British.

ReputationRep:
    English.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    We are all GREAT FFS. GREAT BRITAIN.

England has never done it alone under the British Epithet, yet we achived achived and are known for great things despite our mere numbers. We're the largest empire to date, we have so much to be proud of and even ashamed of. Not just England, but all of us. We all contributed historically profoundly to society. Not England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland. We all acted as the same entity DESPITE our differences when it mattered - and that's what being British means. We are a resiliant, hardy nation made up of historic imigrants. We have a unique history, but we're linked to eachother at the very core.

It's something we NEED to value simply because genuinely profound, unique and very special.
    Actually, Wales was raped of its vast natural wealth which was then used to benefit Britain and the British Empire rather than Wales and Welsh communities. There are so many communities in Wales that are incredibly poor.

(Original post by Psyk)
    Well it's not really their fault people ignore history and see them that way.
    It's the entire concept of the Royal Family and what it means to Wales. The English, even under the Tudors who betrayed Wales, and then the British monarchy has never been anything but trouble for the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainm)
    Lol, I probably should have earlier that I'm from Belfast.

Oh yeh and if you feel you have no identity , keep going with your degree and improve your foreign accents and you'll not have to choose between irish or british

Aaaaah right!!! How awesome lol

Haha yeah, or I can just become Scottish! hahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    To the Irish, there is no god - so relax you ******* nutters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    It's just one of those things; I'm all for the union and I think the SNP are idiots, but I'm not British, I'm Scottish. I think you maybe need to be Scottish to understand it fully.
    Quite the opposite: when it comes to nationality, I'm British - not Scottish. Scottishness, for me, is like identifying with my village or county.

For one, I think a country is doomed if people cannot share in a common political (and yes, only political - I don't care about culture, race, ethnicity and so forth) identity.

(Original post by ainm)
    Do British people in Scotland, England and Wales actually care about Brits in NI?
    I do, but I have some direct experience of Northern Ireland. I don't think caring about other parts of the country is a prerequisite to holding a British identity though: I can call myself British having never visited the vast majority of this country; I can call myself Scottish without giving a ha'penny jizz about the Western Isles.

ReputationRep:
    Im jus English of German Silesian and Irish descent.

WHy should I have a flag when the majoriy of countries in it I have no connection to.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.