Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people who call themselves British Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CondensedMilk)
    I can sympathise with non-English people not wanting to be called British. England (London really) has hijacked the word to the point that outsiders see "British" as Big Ben, red telephone boxes and posh accents. We need to make it so that people think or tartan, bagpipes, sheep, rugby choirs etc. I don't care if the stereotypes are stupid, at least we'd have a unified identity in the eyes of the world.
    Shockingly enough, we have posh accents and red telephone boxes up here in the Northern wildernesses too.

(Original post by Curzon)
    I know, and indeed the Tudors did come from Wales (Tudor actually comes from the Welsh Tudur ) but seriously come on, the Royal Family basically totally embody posh, snobby Englishness (the bad kind of Englishness). The main thing as I mentioned is the Prince of Wales. It's hilarious if you can find the video of Charles' crowning as Prince of Wales, the booing going on as it is happening!
    I've seen that video. As I recall, there was one nutter booing at the gates of the castle. I think it is a credit to our democratic spirit that he wasn't dragged off by the army, police or decent members of the public and beaten.

(Original post by Curzon)
    I also feel that the Royal Family is a big component of the anti-English feeling. I guess they embody the historical rivalry between the two countries, and a posh Englishman being styled the "Prince of Wales" and getting crowned in Caernarfon (the cheek!) doesn't sit well with us either.
    The Royal Family are less English than they are, say, Canadian. They have never chosen to emphasise an English identity at any point. Indeed, when they're in Scotland they're more Scottish than most of the folk who live here the year 'round.

I think you're making the rather odd mistake of confusing upper class with English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Im jus English of German Silesian and Irish descent.

WHy should I have a flag when the majoriy of countries in it I have no connection to.
    The same reason you have an English flag as your avatar, yet presumably have no connection to most parts of England. Any citizen of any country will only be bound to a very small part of it.

Anyway, you do have the closest connection any person can have with another place: a shared political structure. That binds people together more than any bond on earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The same reason you have an English flag as your avatar, yet presumably have no connection to most parts of England. Any citizen of any country will only be bound to a very small part of it.

Anyway, you do have the closest connection any person can have with another place: a shared political structure. That binds people together more than any bond on earth.
    Yes because I was born and raised in England only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    I don't think there would be any benefits, but I don't like the Scottish or the Irish.

The Welsh are fine.

Prick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Yes because I was born and raised in England only.
    From the 'yes', I can only assume you admit you were wrong. If not, feel free to actually address some of the points made.

(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Prick
    Well, you're the one who's a member of a Nationalist party.

ReputationRep:
    /not exactly on topic: I'm from Northern Ireland, even came from a protestant background (though atheist), and I like to call myself Irish/Northern Irish.

Mainly because when you tell people/tourists you're Irish they suddenly get more interested in you. Plus it pisses all my friends off, which is always a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    If someone asks which country I am from I say Scotland - because I'm from Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    If someone asks which country I am from I say Scotland - because I'm from Scotland.
    I spy someone trying to rationalise something with a completely irrational argument!

"If someone asks which country I am from I say Britain - because I'm from Britain" makes just as much sense. Indeed, Britain is objectively more of a country than Scotland is.

ReputationRep:
    We need to nip nationalism within the home nations in the bud before it gets out of control. I mean, Cornwall have got a growing Cornish Nationalism movement! Cornwall FFS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    ********, the Scottish are clearly superior.
    this :yep:

and before i get shouted at again for being proud of my country:
    i think england is awesome too.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer being called British to Northern Irish and most definitely irish :erm: .

Union flag = warm fuzzies inside my heart waheyeyey

ReputationRep:
    The union is what made the British Empire so powerful, something I am extremely proud of.

Although I dislike the Welsh and Scottish, we are alone on this planet on a tiny island so we need as many friends as we can get. Scotland and Wales are pretty much us anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I spy someone trying to rationalise something with a completely irrational argument!

"If someone asks which country I am from I say Britain - because I'm from Britain" makes just as much sense. Indeed, Britain is objectively more of a country than Scotland is.
    Scotland is a country within the sovereign state of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    haha ohw ell thsi country is going to hte dogs anywqasy, iteds what the dadily mail says sao who gvdes a flyginb fyucjk reaslly isnbt ittr/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-brown28)
    You've clearly never lived in Wales.....

Unified my ass...
    I've been to Wales, actually. I recently went to Anglesey, and in the village where I was, there were red, white and blue flags.

ReputationRep:
    I see myself as English though obviously know that means I'm British too. Seeing people say stuff about the English doesn't make me feel very British, I'd love it to be all together and not being off in our own little countries.

ReputationRep:
    After reading some of the comments on here, I'm almost ashamed to call myself British. The whole 'Not them foreigners' mentality Britain harbours even stirs this irrational sectarian madness. If Scotland leaves the Kingdom, the North of England will replace those in the South's dislike for the north. There is already a sense of that already...

While we have international fundamentalist wishing to nuke us given the chance. We have a few who seem hell bent on exaggerating the tiny differences (if you want to call them that...) between the the English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish. Only the British would do that...

p.s the sectarian Scottish elite and their silly friends want to fight and gain sovereignty from the London, England. Only then to hand it over as they join the Brussels, Europe. For **** sake Mr Hammond go live in China Tibet, if you want to get a sense of regional suppression. When your political rights are being suppressed by the English, come to me. When the police is beating and intimidating Scottish residents, come to me. When the English is killing Scottish people, come to me. For now, shut up.

Why do you want Scotland to leave Mr Hammond? for freedom!!!

freedom?

Talk about a ******* rebel without a cause. ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    After reading some of the comments on here, I'm almost ashamed to call myself British. The whole 'Not them foreigners' mentality Britain harbours even stirs this irrational sectarian madness. If Scotland leaves the Kingdom, the North of England will replace those in the South dislike for the north. There is already a sense of that already...

While we have international fundamentalist wishing to nuke us given the chance. We have a few who seem hell bent on exaggerating the tiny differences (if you want to call them that...) between the the English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish. Only the British would do that...
    I couldn't agree with you more, unfortunately there will always be people in society who exagerate these small differences in culture.

Why can't we all just be bff's :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    Scotland is a country within the sovereign state of Britain.
    So? I mean come on now, so what? the term country is wide and many regions in other nation-states have far greater differences and autonomy than Scotland does within the united kingdom.

Scotland is a country! Ok and the sky is blue...

So what? Scotland has a flag! Ok so does the state of Alaska. Scotland has oil! Ok so does the state of Alaska...

On another note (not directed at you). I have no issue with people being proud and happy of where they live. Californian's should be free to appreciate they are born in their state. Its when those same people then cross that line of idiocy and try to claim superiority over each other. Simply because of some minor differences in their geography and distance history. A history they or no one they know have experienced or probably even know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    I do yes, because I want to visit NE and SE Ireland one day. Apparently it's a beutiful landmass. Up there with Norway and Iceland (but not quite there)

I'm an Athiest, and the whole charade is pretty tradicaly comical to me - comical in the sense that I do HONESTLY wonder what these people are actualy fighting over. It's not even oil, it's some long forgoton, bitter religious bull. It's just gangs now. Like Norris Green and Netherly here in Liverpool.
    :lolwut: The NI conflict is about politcs, class and national identity, with a small religious dimension. That's why you have middle class Catholics who're involved with unionist parties like Alliance and UUP (or UCUNF as they're called now), and it's not unheard of for Protestants to be members of the SDLP or even Sinn Fein (Ivan Cooper and Billy Leonard spring to mind). The Provos and Sinn Fein adopted a Marxist ideology (which is why SF is affiliated with parties like the Greek Communist Party and Die Linke in the EU), not a "pro-Catholic" one. The only religious dimension was Ian Paisley's "Ulster Protestant Party" which then became the DUP.

People are fighting over a lot of things, the main one with dissident Republicans begin dissatisfaction with the GFA and SF, who they believe have sold out, and this combined with poverty and deprivation in some areas has meant peopel are turning to violence. Very little to do with religion.

Just a history lesson for you :top:

--------------------------------------
    As someone from Northern Ireland I find it difficult to identify myself as British. I speak Irish, have Irish speaking parents, and most of my friends identify as Irish (most ). There's also a lot of bitterness in my family about the British as a result of events like Bloody Sunday, to describe myself as British would be for me turning my back on my cultural background.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.