Turn on thread page Beta

Grandmother Shoots Troublesome 12-Year-Old Boy watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    The same as the British justice system. If someone is throwing rocks at you, then you have a common law right of self-defence.
    Well that is how it should go, but over here every newspaper would be out for your blood and label you as a baby killer. I also know of a few cases where kids (8-13) have been caught throwing bricks etc and the police simply ignore it and complain to the victim for phoning them.

ReputationRep:
    Parents, parents, parents. Where were the parents?

I can't decide if what she did was right or wrong... she acted in self-defence, they could have caused more damage and could have even killed the old woman...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    Gotta be honest, from reading the article if they were in the process of throwing rocks and bricks at her - which can do serious damage to a health adult, let alone a little old lady - she had damn good reason to believe she was under threat of serious injury. They won't be messing with her again.
    Yes, fantastic and good on granny. If she had lived in this country, the little darlings would have kicked her to death on her doorstep and we'd be spending the next three weeks hearing from bleeding heart social workers about how the kids had led deprived lives and then the kids would have been let off with an ASBO each. Hmm which country has it right, I wonders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookera)
    Yes, fantastic and good on granny. If she had lived in this country, the little darlings would have kicked her to death on her doorstep and we'd be spending the next three weeks hearing from bleeding heart social workers about how the kids had led deprived lives and then the kids would have been let off with an ASBO each. Hmm which country has it right, I wonders?
    Agreed. Justice was served in this case in my opinion. If she'd killed them, that would have been overboard though, but she didn't so in this situation I'd say she was in the right.

ReputationRep:
    I wish our legal system worked more like that!

ReputationRep:
    shame it was just his shoulder she shot.

'little bad boys' like that deserve exactly that kind of response!!

ReputationRep:
    She should be reported to social services.

ReputationRep:
    I think the woman was stupid. She should have phoned the police instead of shooting the poor kid.

And sure, what the kid did was terrible and an absolute disgrace - but we have to remember he is only a kid and he wasn't threatening the granny's life. Her retaliation was way over the top and she should be punished in some form. The boy also should be punished and hopefully taught the error of his ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kilowattjester)
    She should be reported to social services.
    Why? The kid was a nasty piece of **** and got what he deserved. He is also old enough to know what he was doing was wrong and dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Sound like self defence to me. Throwing bricks and rocks at an old woman could kill her, how else is she going to defend herself without risking her life even further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Sound like self defence to me. Throwing bricks and rocks at an old woman could kill her, how else is she going to defend herself without risking her life even further?
    Wouldn't a warning shot have sufficed?

Shooting a 12 year old is too far in my book because there's a decent chance they'd die. And also...the kid was 12...which is still really young. To end a life at that age would be a massive shame...because the kid still has a good chance of being able to turn his life around and do something productive.

If the granny had been in serious danger then yes, she should have shot, but she was able to make it safely back inside her house having called the police. From there she should have just stayed safe inside and waited. Instead she came back out and shot a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3nTr0pY)
    Wouldn't a warning shot have sufficed?

Shooting a 12 year old is too far in my book because there's a decent chance they'd die. And also...the kid was 12...which is still really young. To end a life at that age would be a massive shame...because the kid still has a good chance of being able to turn his life around and do something productive.

If the granny had been in serious danger then yes, she should have shot, but she was able to make it safely back inside her house having called the police. From there she should have just stayed safe inside and waited. Instead she came back out and shot a kid.
    A hard fall is enough to cripple old people, god knows what a brick would have done.

Being 12 is no excuse. We all know what is right and wrong at that age.

I think the 2 main problems are :
    -Where were the parent sof the kid and why did they not know what he was doing.
    -Where where the police to stop this little ****.

ReputationRep:
    Good on her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    A hard fall is enough to cripple old people, god knows what a brick would have done.

Being 12 is no excuse. We all know what is right and wrong at that age.

I think the 2 main problems are :
    -Where were the parent sof the kid and why did they not know what he was doing.
    -Where where the police to stop this little ****.
    1. Exactly. The main reason the kid's so badly behaved is because he has useless parents. If people actually gave him the right support he might actually become a decent person. That's why I think shooting him was too far.

As far as throwing the brick goes: I could understand her shooting him as he was threatening her with the brick - as that would be definite self defence. But the fact is she was hit with the brick, went back into her house, came out again and shot him. So she shot back in vengeance rather than self-defence. Perfectly understandable but the wrong decision imo.

2. She called the police but didn't bother waiting for them. She should've waited. That said, I don't know how good the police were in her area. I can imagine being frustrated if they were completely useless. Still shooting a 12 year old kid is almost never the best option - and I don't think this case is an exception.

ReputationRep:
    These little ******** set houses on fire and put her grill on fire. They hurled bricks at an elderly woman's chest. They broke her windows. Yes she should have shot them. I'm only sorry she didn't finish the job, they'll only grow up to be the type of inbred scumbags which pollute the gene pool.

I believe the article is very exaggerated. They don't mention the type of gun or the injury caused. She probably fired a rifle AT them that didn't hit to scare them off.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer it our way, I like how I can break into a house and steal some **** and then get the owner arrested, it leaves their home empty for me to steal more things.

ReputationRep:
    Shooting may be slightly too much, but lets look at it in a monty python way "tis merely a flesh wound", at least something is getting done too the kids, shame england wouldn't get a bit more backbone to idiots like that (naming - chavs).

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't she go inside the house and phone the police and stay in the house?? It's not like it was a matter of life and death, you don't just shoot people!
    Although the boys should be dealt with harshly, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: crazy old lady, shooting a child is out of order!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe so many people here are supporting her actions! I don't understand why she had to go back outside at all to defend herself - she managed to get inside, she could have stayed there! It seems ridiculous that she should get away with shooting a child when she wasn't in immediate danger. What happened to her was horrible and no-one should have to put up with living like that, but risking a child's life is not the answer. This is a horrible injustice.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.