Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I finish my A's I'm planning on pursuing a flying career, either as an RAF pilot, or Army Air Corps pilot or a Commercial airline pilot etc. Anything to do with flying really .

I'm doing my A levels at home (distance learning) So unfortunately can't do a Physics A level which would be an obvious one. This may become available next year as a fast track A level though..... (fingers crossed! )

My choices are:
    Maths (with mechanics)
    Biology
    History

I thought History would be good as having an arts subject shows I'm not just a science person and have the ability to write essays. If the Physics fast track comes out next year, then I will drop History after AS and take the Physics. Anyway, your thoughts on my choices; are they any good, what could I do at uni if my flying plan goes pear shaped? (bearing in mind I might not get the Physics and have the original three)

Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-brown28)
    When I finish my A's I'm planning on pursuing a flying career, either as an RAF pilot, or Army Air Corps pilot or a Commercial airline pilot etc. Anything to do with flying really .

I'm doing my A levels at home (distance learning) So unfortunately can't do a Physics A level which would be an obvious one. This may become available next year as a fast track A level though..... (fingers crossed! )

My choices are:
    Maths (with mechanics)
    Biology
    History

I thought History would be good as having an arts subject shows I'm not just a science person and have the ability to write essays. If the Physics fast track comes out next year, then I will drop History after AS and take the Physics. Anyway, your thoughts on my choices; are they any good, what could I do at uni if my flying plan goes pear shaped? (bearing in mind I might not get the Physics and have the original three)

Cheers guys
    They're great choices. Just remember, fast track is VERY hard... I have a friend doing it at the moment. I think, you should carry on all the ones you have chosen at the moment to A2 unless you are required to take Physics (As good as it may seem, I don't think it's a requirement). You're taking strong subjects esp maths which will go in favour for what you want to do . Good luck! How come distance learning btw?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply

Distance learning? God knows how I got here.... messed up travelling plans by my parents and I never went back, Was in College for 1 week last month twas crap lol. I don't think It helped that It was a bunch of 'thickos' doing a BTEC who I was with for that week. :p:

Thanks again for the reply, i appreciate your input

P.S No; Physics isn't a requirment, but is unofficialy "prefered". Apparently theres a guy who fly's in the RAF who has a Degree in Classics :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

Anyone know what I could do at uni with those a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Bump again...

Anyone??.....

.....Does this mean that there are no uni courses I could do with these A levels....:eek:

:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    There's actually quite a lot you could do there it depends where you want to go, of course, because top universities are looking for evidence that you know what you want, so a mix of science and arts may prove problematic. However, my best friend got Medicine offers with 2 sciences and an arts, so what do I know!
    If you were aiming for say Oxbridge, or another top 10 university, i'd advise you to pick one or the other. However, if you're looking a little lower down the league tables (where there are stills some amazing institutions), then go for it! It should make for an interesting UCAS application which i'm such admissions will be glad to see!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    good subjects

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys

ReputationRep:
    Just a question do you already have flying experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massisi)
    Just a question do you already have flying experience?
    No, bit expensive at more than £6000 for a PPL. Even if I got an NPL It would still be a ridiculous amount of moneys :yep:

Why do you ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james-brown28)
    Thanks for the reply

Distance learning? God knows how I got here.... messed up travelling plans by my parents and I never went back, Was in College for 1 week last month twas crap lol. I don't think It helped that It was a bunch of 'thickos' doing a BTEC who I was with for that week. :p:

Thanks again for the reply, i appreciate your input

P.S No; Physics isn't a requirment, but is unofficialy "prefered". Apparently theres a guy who fly's in the RAF who has a Degree in Classics :yep:
    Sorry, if you want a reply then just quote me :P:

Oi! Don't call the BTECers thicko's, one of my friends was one last year ^.^

But yeah, with them subjects, and high grades, you can do practically anything (Other than that, needing specific subjects, i.e medicine), you could do Law, History, Philosophy, Anthropology, Archaeology, media studies - almost anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    Sorry, if you want a reply then just quote me :P:

Oi! Don't call the BTECers thicko's, one of my friends was one last year ^.^

But yeah, with them subjects, and high grades, you can do practically anything (Other than that, needing specific subjects, i.e medicine), you could do Law, History, Philosophy, Anthropology, Archaeology, media studies - almost anything!
    I didn't say all BTECers are thickos, I know clever people doing BTEC's too. However, everyone in the btec class I was doing were.....well...... When they were showed a pic of David Cameron half of the class didn't know who he was :facepalm: lol :p:

Thanks for the reply , sorry i didn't quote you.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.