Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I tried uploading it to here, but they said it was too incomplete to mark! So i've now toned it down and improved it but its still way over.. Can someone who has gone through the proccess or is good at this kinda thing help me? :P thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    You need someone to hold your hand and tell you what to cut? You should be old enough to be able to make that decision now. You're going to suck when it comes to university and you realise that all work has word limits.

ReputationRep:
    2000!
    i think this is something you need to work on yourself for a bit longer before people help you...

ReputationRep:
    Enthusiasm only needs to be conveyed in a couple of sentences.

You can probably find ways to cut out all the "fat" in the statement by maybe making your writing style more articulate. Would a piece of punctuation be better than a couple of words? Try to exercise some brevity when listing your accomplishments; try not to elaborate on some details they may consider pointless.

ReputationRep:
    toning is a myth, yes even in personal statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    I tried uploading it to here, but they said it was too incomplete to mark! So i've now toned it down and improved it but its still way over.. Can someone who has gone through the proccess or is good at this kinda thing help me? :P thankyou.
    As everyone else has said, you will have to do this for yourself.

Go through the PS, reading it aloud to yourself. This will help you to find the repetitions, long-winded sentences, meaningless phrases.... whatever. Every word has to earn its place, and should be removed if it doesn't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow.

Well write a bullet list of the main points you have in your current draft. Then compare it to a list of 'must-haves', 'should-haves', 'would-likes' and 'irrelevants'. That will soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

If you like, post a list of your basic points here, and someone will try and help you work out what needs doing (quote me if you want another reply from me!).

You'd also be surprised how style and phrasing can help cut down character count a lot.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)

Go through the PS, reading it aloud to yourself. This will help you to find the repetitions, long-winded sentences, meaningless phrases.... whatever. Every word has to earn its place, and should be removed if it doesn't.
    so do we remove words like "the" and "it"?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, mine was way way wayyyyy over and i used the PS Helper on here (look in p.s section) i found it sooo useful, they're really honnest, you make the advised changes and then you'll find its almost done! Fab! x

Quote for reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDoovde)
    so do we remove words like "the" and "it"?
    I said, every word has to earn its place: 'the' and 'it' do earn their places if without them the sentence doesn't make sense and/or is grammatically incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    You need someone to hold your hand and tell you what to cut? You should be old enough to be able to make that decision now. You're going to suck when it comes to university and you realise that all work has word limits.
    irsdkjdjerosdklespo sdk9efiosdkl. I would just like to know, from someone who has gone through this, what looks good ont he personal statement and what does not. But thanks for your helpppppppppppp. nat.

ReputationRep:
    I said, every word has to earn its place: 'the' and 'it' do earn their places if without them the sentence doesn't make sense and/or is grammatically incorrect as a result.
    but they are not long words which impress them. i don't like 3 letter words.

ReputationRep:
    Woah! That's a lot, how did you manage that?

Fortunately I'm 72 characters above limit, now what to cut? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    Enthusiasm only needs to be conveyed in a couple of sentences.

You can probably find ways to cut out all the "fat" in the statement by maybe making your writing style more articulate. Would a piece of punctuation be better than a couple of words? Try to exercise some brevity when listing your accomplishments; try not to elaborate on some details they may consider pointless.
    Thanks, I will try this. I think I have gone into quite alot of detail about my subjects, so I think I will cut this!

ReputationRep:
    Are you writing a bloody novel ??

ReputationRep:

Thankyou... by doing that I realised I used I believe too much :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I can understand getting help for cutting a few lines or a few hundred characters, but really you should be able to cut most of those 2000 characters yourself. You should easily to be figure out which the irrelevant parts of your PS are and scrap them.

You may think the admissions tutor wants you to go into loads of detail about how much teaching deprived children to play football or something like that has developed you as individual, but they really don't.
    What do the admissions tutors want then? haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Wow.

Well write a bullet list of the main points you have in your current draft. Then compare it to a list of 'must-haves', 'should-haves', 'would-likes' and 'irrelevants'. That will soon sort the wheat from the chaff.

If you like, post a list of your basic points here, and someone will try and help you work out what needs doing (quote me if you want another reply from me!).

You'd also be surprised how style and phrasing can help cut down character count a lot.

Good luck x
    OOh thanks, that's a good idea. I may look at the LSE one as I'm going to apply there Prob is, I went into too much detail, that really isn't needed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfdhagen)
    Hey, mine was way way wayyyyy over and i used the PS Helper on here (look in p.s section) i found it sooo useful, they're really honnest, you make the advised changes and then you'll find its almost done! Fab! x

Quote for reply
    I tried They were like "too many words over"! thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.I)
    Woah! That's a lot, how did you manage that?

Fortunately I'm 72 characters above limit, now what to cut? :rolleyes:
    Luckyyyyyy! that's like 20 words or so!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.