Turn on thread page Beta

LONDON: how much do you spend on transport (p/m)?? watch

ReputationRep:
    As in title.
    Trying to figure out a budget.

Soooo how much do you spend a month on getting around?

PS Mods im sorry, really didn't know where to put this. Was going to put london unis, but you don't have to be at uni to spend ****loads on this being held up underground in grim and smelly containers.

ReputationRep:
    0 - 4 pounds.... not even joking

ReputationRep:
    "So" only has one "o". Just so you know.

An easy way to remember is by using the rhyme "So only has one 'o' ".

I would hate for you to get beaten up on the tube because of this.

ReputationRep:
    Approx £8 a week to come home from Uni and then £5 x2 a week with my rail card to gigs at London venues.

I'm too scared to work that out monthly...but lets say, it's too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    "So" only has one "o". Just so you know.

An easy way to remember is by using the rhyme "So only has one 'o' ".

I would hate for you to get beaten up on the tube because of this.
    How exactly did I manage to annoy you in my original post, to the point that you've even troubled yourself with writing the above?
    Just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i need some help with this to but for diff reasons, me and my friends are going to london for the weekend, we'll be there on a saturday and a sunday.. how much is an all day tube/bus pass thingy? i've looked at the website and so confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny.chu)
    Approx £8 a week to come home from Uni and then £5 x2 a week with my rail card to gigs at London venues.

I'm too scared to work that out monthly...but lets say, it's too much.
    Sounds about right and thank you for replying!

ReputationRep:
    On average I spend £20-30 now because I live close to my work but when I had to travel to Uni (living in zone 2, Uni in zone 1) was spending £60-80 per month.

Get a bike (and a good lock) to save yourself a lot of money!

ReputationRep:
    £81ish a month... zones 1-3 :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    How exactly did I manage to annoy you in my original post, to the point that you've even troubled yourself with writing the above?
    Just out of interest.

I don't regard education of TSR users as trouble.

It's more of a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    £18 a week on a student travel card, should probably get a monthly one to save further money but too worried I'd lose it and then it would be £60 GONE!

ReputationRep:
    On average I spend £20-30 now because I live close to my work but when I had to travel to Uni (living in zone 2, Uni in zone 1) was spending £60-80 per month.

Get a bike (and a good lock) to save yourself a lot of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weet_ABI_x)
    £18 a week on a student travel card, should probably get a monthly one to save further money but too worried I'd lose it and then it would be £60 GONE!
    :lolwut: I thought each travelcard takes 2 weeks to process?!?! Do you apply every week or something? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weet_ABI_x)

When you buy a monthly travelcard, your oyster HAS to be registered.

So if any instance you loose your oyster, you'd be able to call a number and get get a replacement sent out...but you would probably have to pay for your journeys that you make in between!

ReputationRep:
    Up until year 13 (end of last year) I was travelling from zone 5 to 3 every day. With an oyster discount, a weekly zone 3-5 travelcard was £10.70, so I was spending £42.80 minimum a month (If I was travelling into zone 2 or 1 then it's be a few pounds extra per day taking it up to about £50 a month). Bus travel all was free.
    For the past few months, I've just been pottering around and have spent:
    Last month about £35
    The month before £15-20 (I didn't do much travelling not on buses)

The trick is really to see what kind of discount you can get: So get a student Oyster photocard rather than a regular adult one and if you're travelling on trains a £16-25 railcard. They have saved me so so so much money!

(Original post by fauni)
    When you buy a monthly travelcard, your oyster HAS to be registered.

So if any instance you loose your oyster, you'd be able to call a number and get get a replacement sent out...but you would probably have to pay for your journeys that you make in between!
    Also, this is what I was going to say - get the travelcard on your Oyster, and then whether you lose the card or not, you are still able to use the ticket! Done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    :lolwut: I thought each travelcard takes 2 weeks to process?!?! Do you apply every week or something? :lolwut:
    Maybe we're talking about a different thing, but you can get a travelcard out of a machine pretty much instantly. You have to wait for the card that entitles you for the discounts, but after that, it takes less than a minute to get any sort of ticket to anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Maybe we're talking about a different thing, but you can get a travelcard out of a machine pretty much instantly. You have to wait for the card that entitles you for the discounts, but after that, it takes less than a minute to get any sort of ticket to anywhere!
    Aren't you talking about the student oyster card? You can buy a weekly or monthly one for a set amount and then just travel however much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Hey you seem to be pretty knowledgeable in all this, and I think I could do with some advice :p:

Basically, i'm on a forced gap year - and so I'm out of full time education (will be reapplying 2011 though)

My 16 + Oyster card expired on the 30th. I'm now unsure what to get, as if I get an adult oyster - will I be charged full rate? Even though I'm 18 and will be in education next year.

I only really use the London Underground and the occasional bus. Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Aren't you talking about the student oyster card? You can buy a weekly or monthly one for a set amount and then just travel however much?
    As I understand it: So long as you're in full time education (I'm talking about 18+ also), you can get a student oyster card which entitles you to 30% off travelcards. You pay £10 for the Oyster card (so they put your photo on it) and send it off with your establishment number etc etc and it takes about 2 weeks to arrive. You then use this oyster photocard to purchase discounted travelcards (i.e. weekly or monthly or yearly) from newsagents or the ticket machines at railway/tube stations. Travelcards allow you to travel anywhere within the zones they encompass, and you can buy as many travelcards as you wish with your oyster card.

ReputationRep:
    When I get my bus pass sorted out, I'll be spending about £45/£50 a month.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.