Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

LONDON: how much do you spend on transport (p/m)?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just under £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    As I understand it: So long as you're in full time education (I'm talking about 18+ also), you can get a student oyster card which entitles you to 30% off travelcards. You pay £10 for the Oyster card (so they put your photo on it) and send it off with your establishment number etc etc and it takes about 2 weeks to arrive. You then use this oyster photocard to purchase discounted travelcards (i.e. weekly or monthly or yearly) from newsagents or the ticket machines at railway/tube stations. Travelcards allow you to travel anywhere within the zones they encompass, and you can buy as many travelcards as you wish with your oyster card.
    OOOOhhh so If I was to buy a monthly one of these http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14312.aspx (which I'm assuming is what you have) then for a month I'll be able to buy discounted travelcards? ... Can you put money onto the student oyster card and just use it as a normal oyster but with cheaper fare costs? Man, I thought that once you get the oyster, and then buy, say, the monthly travelcard, you can travel for free using that travelcard for the month !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Hey you seem to be pretty knowledgeable in all this, and I think I could do with some advice :p:

Basically, i'm on a forced gap year - and so I'm out of full time education (will be reapplying 2011 though)

My 16 + Oyster card expired on the 30th. I'm now unsure what to get, as if I get an adult oyster - will I be charged full rate? Even though I'm 18 and will be in education next year.

I only really use the London Underground and the occasional bus. Thanks for any help
    Heya

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get any new discounts - becasue you're not in full time education, you can't register as a student, and I'm presuming that you don't have any disabilities. However, if you continue to use your zip 16+ Oyster (the one that the free travel expired off of) you may still be able to claim some discounts when buying tickets/using it as a pay as you go.

If you start using the train more, I'd really recommend a 16-25 railcard which gives you something like a 1/3 off all travel (off-peak) It does cost about £26, but if you're using it every week, and perhaps if you use it to visit any friends at their unis you'll soon have saved money!

The only other scenario would be if you were getting Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or have been getting Jobseeker's Allowance for at least 13 weeks - then you're eligible for this: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14306.aspx
    Although that may not be at all suitable.

Hope that helped somewhat! Travel is just so expensive, I wish it was easier to get money off!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    :lolwut: I thought each travelcard takes 2 weeks to process?!?! Do you apply every week or something? :lolwut:
    er no? You can do it at the oyster top up machine and it's instantly there!

ReputationRep:
    This all sounds so expensive!
    I'm liking the sound of the bike option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weet_ABI_x)
    er no? You can do it at the oyster top up machine and it's instantly there!
    Omg I don't get this Doesn't the 18+ student oyster card ACT as the travelcard?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Omg I don't get this Doesn't the 18+ student oyster card ACT as the travelcard?!
    The prices they quote on that website are only an indication of the comparative ticket prices when using a student oyster and when not using one. When you get an Oyster card off the website, you are given a piece of plastic with your photograph on it. This photocard enables you to use the 30% discount for the entirety of your academic course year. In other words, once you get the Ostyer card (which you only pay £10 for), you are then able to go to a train station or newsagents and buy a monthly or weekly or yearly travelcard. Once the travelcard runs out, you can buy another and another until the end of the year.

Does that make sense? What you buy off the internet is only the discount card. Once in posession of the card, you can go and buy the travelcards at a train/tube station or newsagents.

ReputationRep:
    Heya

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get any new discounts - becasue you're not in full time education, you can't register as a student, and I'm presuming that you don't have any disabilities. However, if you continue to use your zip 16+ Oyster (the one that the free travel expired off of) you may still be able to claim some discounts when buying tickets/using it as a pay as you go.

If you start using the train more, I'd really recommend a 16-25 railcard which gives you something like a 1/3 off all travel (off-peak) It does cost about £26, but if you're using it every week, and perhaps if you use it to visit any friends at their unis you'll soon have saved money!

The only other scenario would be if you were getting Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or have been getting Jobseeker's Allowance for at least 13 weeks - then you're eligible for this: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14306.aspx
    Although that may not be at all suitable.

Hope that helped somewhat! Travel is just so expensive, I wish it was easier to get money off!!
    Aaah thanks a lot for all those options

I think I'm going to invest in a 16-25 railcard :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Student Oyster cards are going up to £10, from what I hear, you should be able to get one within a few weeks if you're registered with an educational body. Otherwise just get an adult one, or keep using the one you have now and load a 16-25 railcard onto it.

ReputationRep:
    The prices they quote on that website are only an indication of the comparative ticket prices when using a student oyster and when not using one. When you get an Oyster card off the website, you are given a piece of plastic with your photograph on it. This photocard enables you to use the 30% discount for the entirety of your academic course year. In other words, once you get the Ostyer card (which you only pay £10 for), you are then able to go to a train station or newsagents and buy a monthly or weekly or yearly travelcard. Once the travelcard runs out, you can buy another and another until the end of the year.

Does that make sense? What you buy off the internet is only the discount card. Once in posession of the card, you can go and buy the travelcards at a train/tube station or newsagents.
    Ooohhhh!!! I think I get it :| What if you lose the travelcard?! That's a bit annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Aaah thanks a lot for all those options

I think I'm going to invest in a 16-25 railcard :yep:
    No problem! Glad to have been a help!
    Do, just remember to carry it with you!
    The other day, I bought my ticket with without checking whether the railcard was on me (it always is normally) and then was stopped at the barrier only to discover I had left it at home in my jeans! I ended up having to buy an adults ticket as well! What an annoying waste of money! Grrrr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    Student Oyster cards are going up to £10, from what I here, you should be able to get one within a few weeks if you're registered with an educational body. Otherwise just get an adult one, or keep using the one you have now and load a 16-25 railcard onto it.
    How're you meant to load a railcard onto an oyster card? o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Ooohhhh!!! I think I get it :| What if you lose the travelcard?! That's a bit annoying
    When you buy a ticket with an Oyster card, it is an electronic ticket that you use by touching it to the yellow receptors at the barriers. If you happen to lose the plastic photocard (that you use to touch in and out), you just need to contact travel for london (www.tfl.gov.uk) as soon as it happens, and they will be able to replace the card with the ticket still on it. Although you will ahve to buy tickets until you receive the new photocardcard, you can, in effect, never lose your travelcard!

Make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    How're you meant to load a railcard onto an oyster card? o.o
    Buy the railcard, go to a ticket office and ask them to put them railcard onto the oyster card.
    This will reduce the off-peak day cap and the cost of off-peak day travelcards by 1/3. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414....kt-tab-panel-9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    Buy the railcard, go to a ticket office and ask them to put them railcard onto the oyster card.
    This will reduce the off-peak day cap and the cost of off-peak day travelcards by 1/3. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414....kt-tab-panel-9
    That's so confusing!! So you can do that *as opposed to* buying the student oyster card and monthly travel card, or can you use both in conjunction with each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    You order a oyster card online for £10 and it turns up 2 weeks later

then either

a) use it as a normal oyster card, topping up and paying as you go (no discount)
    b) buy travelcards weeks/months at a time, which saves you 33%

it's all done at a top up machine in the station!
    Then when it's expired you can continue to use it as a normal oyster.

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, well, most people in this recession just jump on the long buses and hang around until they see an inspector at the next stop and jump off. I know I do. I refuse to pay rip-off prices. What ever happened to the good old 70p days, huh? £2 for one lousy journey buys me 2 litres of fuel. The equivalent to a return journey buys me a gallon of fuel, and that, in my car, gives me back a good 45MPG.

Public transport... Pfft.

ReputationRep:
    When you buy a ticket with an Oyster card, it is an electronic ticket that you use by touching it to the yellow receptors at the barriers. If you happen to lose the plastic photocard (that you use to touch in and out), you just need to contact travel for london (www.tfl.gov.uk) as soon as it happens, and they will be able to replace the card with the ticket still on it. Although you will ahve to buy tickets until you receive the new photocardcard, you can, in effect, never lose your travelcard!

Make sense?
    OHHHHH so it's like a virtual ticket.. it doesnt print off an actual ticket but instead puts the ticket onto your student oyster card, which you use to touch in and out of transport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    That's so confusing!! So you can do that *as opposed to* buying the student oyster card and monthly travel card, or can you use both in conjunction with each other?
    You can do both.

I have a student Oyster card and I've also loaded my 16-25 railcard on it.
    Getting a student card was a bit of a waste of time though as I'm not studying in London so have never bought a travelcard, and so never used that reduction (having my name and pic on it is nice though as it has found it's way back to me after having being lost several times).

The railcard discount is very handy as it means I rarely pay more than £3.70 (not including the cost of getting there) a day when I'm visiting London (my partner lives in zone 1 and I have regular social meets there too).

ReputationRep:
    My sister lives in Bermondsey and she has unlimted travel on buses and the Croydon Tramlink with her Oyster Card. Costs her £44 per month.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.