Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lemon juice/citrus cleaner definitely works, as soon as I'd sprayed that all over the house I got rid of all the little spiders within a night and thank god I haven't seen a big one since either. I've put conkers in the corners of rooms as a back-up...hope that keeps them out

ReputationRep:
    What do conkers do to spiders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siani-chan)
    That's ridiculous. I'm dreading getting to uni and having this problem - I have the most ridiculous fear of spiders. You're so lucky you can even attempt to deal with them - I tend to stop behaving like a normal human being when I see one, you know, getting really agitated and jumpy, I stare at it, I freeze and can't move and just watch it the entire time. And that's with spiders smaller than a 1p coin - any bigger than that I will either freeze dead and start crying, or run a ******* mile, you have no idea.

Spiders love my room, I swear they can smell fear.

I'm going to watch this thread and see if people recommend anything. Bleugh. Now I'm getting the shivers after seeing the spiders.

I am so jealous you can actually get rid of them yourself though. :p:
    This. I can't ******* stand them! If there's one in my room, I just stand there staring and freeze up. I don't want to go near it, but I don't want to move in case it runs and hides. I've stood for hours before.

Never killed one on purpose though.

ReputationRep:
    People who are scared of spiders should be shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    It's not me it's the tablets :'(

ReputationRep:
    Conkers!! They're cheap too

ReputationRep:
    Leave them. As long as you don't bother them they won't hurt. Spiders can keep your house insect free, which are far worser lol

ReputationRep:
    I've also heard the conkers thing... picked some up on the way home yesterday for this exact reason

ReputationRep:
    Spiders don't like conkers? Are you serious? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Guh, I can't even touch spiders to get rid of them. I want one of these: http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/spide...her/index.html

ReputationRep:
    Our flat at uni is terrible for it, theyre everywhere!!! Gonna have to go conker hunting soonish because theyre massive!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they don't like conkers. Also some insects don't like citronella so that might work?

If you just moved in, was the place clean? Maybe if you give a full clean over, they'll all come out at once but then after that you won't get any more.

Also this time of year is when spiders are most common, they're everywhere, in like a month they'll all be dead or hibernating outside. Also you could get a 'spider catcher' from betterware, its like a thing on a stick which closes the spider in so you can catch them without getting too close.

I feel your pain, I have really bad arachnophobia and saw a spider in my room the other night, haven't been more than a foot in to my room since because it's gone out of sight, and sleeping in my bf's room

None of the spiders native to Britain can harm you. Make yourself used to them by picking them up, carefully, and handling them a bit. After some of this therapy you'll not even care about a room full of the wee things. Beyond this keep your rooms tidy, spiders like messy and undisturbed corners, the kind that students are good at generating.

Alternatively, get yourself a spider costume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)

Get out of my miiiiiiind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Get out of my miiiiiiind.

Sorry stealing thoughts because producing my own is time consuming :yes:

ReputationRep:
    If I see a spider I'm getting my flatmates to deal with it. **** spiders.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: theyre huge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    None of the spiders native to Britain can harm you. Make yourself used to them by picking them up, carefully, and handling them a bit. After some of this therapy you'll not even care about a room full of the wee things. Beyond this keep your rooms tidy, spiders like messy and undisturbed corners, the kind that students are good at generating.

Alternatively, get yourself a spider costume.
    I'm in France :p: yeah, I know they're harmless, they don't even bother me ordinarily but with these tablets I am full on freaking, one walked towards me the last night and I ran away :comfused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    OK so I'm in this flat, it's great, nice and big, it also doesn;t cost me anything. Fantastic.

Until I find out that I am ******* inundated with spiders. I've had 7 or 8 since I got here last tuesday. Three today.

Not the small ones either. I'm talking these beasts:

Spoiler:
    Show

Now. I don't mind spiders, and I hate killing them. But I'm taking some medication that can, and does, cause anxiety/nervousness etc. One crawled across the floor at me and I full on wanted to cry. I have killed that spider, and don't wish to see any more.

Can anyone recommend me a good spider repellant? Are those plug-in things any good? I want them gone from my life :sad:

All help much appreciated,
    SuperSam_Fantastiche
    Ahh man. I was planning on living in a flat just to get away from big spiders Do you live on the ground floor or something? My sister-in-law lives on the 2nd floor and she hardly gets spiders, the ones she does get are small like full stops.

ReputationRep:
    Spray deodorant under the doorframe. Seriously, the powder in it irritates the hairs on their legs.

And conkers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.