Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ICAS Study Material watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have got a place in EY's Audit FS department in London in Sep 2011. I have already graduated and thus have a lot of free time on my hand and need something to do (who would have thought 'come dine with me' could get repetitive? :P). I have part time job but wanted to do some studying for the ICAS exams next year. I contacted EY but they said they could only give me the information that was on the website (this goes into syllabus details but no recommended reading). Can anyone give me any books they used while studying for these exams?

Thanks

p.s If you did ICAEW instead the syllabuses look pretty similar so anything you can suggest would be useful too.

ReputationRep:
    ICAS produce all of their own study materials; you won't have found any books quite simply because there aren't any, unfortunately! You'll receive hard copy material when you attend the study courses and electronic copies are available on the ICAS website once you have your student login details.

To be honest, I don't think you'd benefit that much from advance reading in any case. The study leave and college time that you'll get should quite easily sufficient to allow you to cover all of the material, certainly for the initial exams (the "Test of Competence", TC). You'll also learn much more effectively under the guidance of your tutors than would be possible through self-study alone.

However, if you've got any other questions about the ICAS qualification, I'd be happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Am going to get Accounting for Dummies and learn a little bit from that but won't worry too much now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spunkym0nkey)
    Thanks.

Am going to get Accounting for Dummies and learn a little bit from that but won't worry too much now
    Thinking back, I was sent a copy of "Double Entry or Double Dutch" by BPP as reading a few months before starting, and it looks like that's available to buy, though it's not specifically ICAS-approved: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Entry.../dp/0751767905

ReputationRep:
    Sorry fir the late reply. That looks awesome. Might be buying that when I get back. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spunkym0nkey)
    Sorry fir the late reply. That looks awesome. Might be buying that when I get back. Thanks

Hey,

I was just reading your post... I'm also starting at EY Audit FS in Sept 2011..

ReputationRep:
    Double Dutch is good

Might want to get some of the other BPP/Kaplan books as reading material

A students guide to IFRS by Claire Finch and Guide to group accounts by Tom Clendon are good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)

However, if you've got any other questions about the ICAS qualification, I'd be happy to answer them.
    How difficult are these exams for someone who hasn't done an accounting degree?

Are the course materials structured differently depending on what service line you're in, i.e do tax people take different exams to corp finance/audit?

Is there any way to access some practice material before starting at college just to get an idea of whats in store?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finance1973)

Are the course materials structured differently depending on what service line you're in, i.e do tax people take different exams to corp finance/audit?

Is there any way to access some practice material before starting at college just to get an idea of whats in store?
    After the initial few weeks, those with a non-accounting degree will likely be in a very similar position to those who have done accounting previously, so no need for you to worry there. The ICAS syllabus is the same regardless of service line, though it's notable that for tax in particular some firms may offer either the CTA or the new ICAS Tex qualification as an additional qualification (as well as the CA).

I'd suggest not worrying about practice materials unless you receive any from your firm/course provider - once you start on the course it will be very intensive and it's best not to strecth that out into the weeks in advance of that - enjoy the break that you have!

ReputationRep:

I got the course material as soon as I registered with ICAS?

ReputationRep:

The material isn't particularly complex, but there's a lot of it and you essentially have just 7 weeks to prepare. An accounting degree is a significant advantage at TC - but by TPS that advantage has basically gone and I'd say people are pretty much on a level field. However most people don't have accounting degrees, so it's not like you'll be struggling while everyone else is cruising just because of the degree they did.

Illusionary is right though, there's no point worrying about it beforehand - just get some R&R so that you can work flat out for the 8 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    The material is all online now but you need a student login to access it.

Damn, this is an old thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    The material is all online now but you need a student login to access it.

Damn, this is an old thread.
    Thanks, just got access to all of it!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.