Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As in having a paid job. I'm 19 and in my 2nd year of university. My first job was this summer - a poorly paid paper round. I tried applying to a number of places this summer and last summer, but either didn't hear back from them or got rejected.

My university has some jobs available. The ones that would suit me require previous experience and the ones that really don't suit me require training and application forms. I come to application forms and can't fill in anything about previous employers, which will immediately look bad. I also don't really want to do a job I won't like.

Outside companies, they need previous experience or just reject me straight off for unknown reasons (probably because I have had no previous jobs). How will I EVER get my foot on the jobs ladder (and earning money too)? Its all hopeless. Everyone I know my age has had at least 1 proper job before, most 2 or more. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if it makes you feel better I'm 21 and only just starting my first proper job. Just keep at it

ReputationRep:
    Any chance you could volunteer? I imagine the uni bar would take you on with no experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Any chance you could volunteer? I imagine the uni bar would take you on with no experience.
    that really won't solve anything.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel :console:. I'm nearly 19, and I've only ever had one job, a paper round which I quit over three years ago now. I've been searching for part time work on and off since two years but have gotten zilch so far :erm: . I'm still searching right now though, so I think that's just what you've got to do, don't give up. Hopefully something will pop up eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you might have to take a job you won't like first of all.

No one really likes working in supermarkets or in call centres or in a shop of sorts, I'm sure they'd much rather be doing something else!

Just keep trying and trying. Applying to jobs you don't like is still useful. You might get called in for interviews and get practice with them, if they want you then you can always just not take it up. It will seriously help your confidence!

You should talk to your uni if they have any kinds of careers services. Mine offers practice job interviews, career guidance, CV-writing suggestions etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Man in the Mirror1)
    that really won't solve anything.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position

So, I took the initiative and got a job with my mother cleaning an office. Step one done I have proven I will do a **** job for **** pay.

Step two: Visit a careers advisor, spell out the interests you have and the sort of ideas for a job you have. Mention you have done a **** job

Step three: Buy clothes so you don't look like every other ******* tramp at a job centre

Step four: Get advice

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and on a gap year and I only got my first job at 19, literally 4-5 weeks ago.

My advice is to broaden your horizons, to industries you wouldn't normally look at such. A good example is the gambling industry, and I'm sure there are loads of other industries, that pay well and don't appear to be very obvious. Don't go on loads of job sites and try supermarkets and call centres since everyone does that.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be picky, do any job you can get to begin with. Ask around - often you can get a job through personal contacts. Once you get off the ground with something it becomes easier.

And I don't know why you're knocking volunteering (unless you really need money). It's easy to get, teaches you useful skills, and looks great on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    people have made some very good points, thanks.

some of you say to get literally any job even if you don't really like it.

none of us like doing cleaning but we can all do it. what happens when I apply for jobs which need people skills, like someone said a call centre type job? we can't all do that because some of us don't have great people skills.

so in that sense I can't choose ANY job. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt you're such a failure as a human being that you have zero skills.

It's a tough jobs market and I can not being able to find something but seriously, if you get your pants in a twist because you don't want to do somthing you don't like and you don't think you have the skills to apply for anything, then of course you're not going to get a job.

Try doing some volunteering or do some charity/society/activism stuff. You don't have to have had a job to have experience.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Take any job you can get, and if you can't get a job then do some volunteering in a charity shop or something similar. That way you have experience and references for your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I really doubt you're such a failure as a human being that you have zero skills.

It's a tough jobs market and I can not being able to find something but seriously, if you get your pants in a twist because you don't want to do somthing you don't like and you don't think you have the skills to apply for anything, then of course you're not going to get a job.

Try doing some volunteering or do some charity/society/activism stuff. You don't have to have had a job to have experience.
    well would you advise me applying for a call centre type job if I'm a bit unsure of my communication skills over the phone?

I am not afraid of speaking on the phone. but I don't know - looking at it, I'd be afraid of dealing with all different types of people and if something goes a bit wrong, in communication I tend to falter.

but I know if I don't apply for a job, I'll never truly find out my best skills, never get experience, lose opportunities of potentially making friends and not earn money.

my parents are talking me out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, same. My problem is that I can't do any job that requires you to be on your feet for longer than, say, two minutes, or else my feet'll implode (again). I'm not even kidding, I can't even walk ten minutes at a leisurely pace to lectures without my feet killing me. So that puts me out of a lot of traditional student jobs, like in a shop, waitresses, etc. And I can't get a job anywhere that involves a lot of sitting (like a receptionist or data entry) because they all want a ton of experience which, due to foot problems, I don't have. fml lol

ReputationRep:
    hello?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure why you bumped your thread after 45 minutes but...

Take any jobs you can get. The call centre worry, you're usually put on probation for a month and they decide if they think you'll be ok at it. You get paid while you're on probation so if you pass the interview at least you have an income for at least a month.

I can't believe your parents are trying to talk you OUT of a job.

Volunteering really isn't a bad idea. If you think you can't get a job without experience then you're hardly wasting your time by working for free, and you might find you enjoy something that you ever thought you would (eg, volunteering with people with special needs, paid jobs working with populations like this are fairly easy to come by if you have a little experience).

(Original post by Man in the Mirror1)
    As in having a paid job. I'm 19 and in my 2nd year of university. My first job was this summer - a poorly paid paper round. I tried applying to a number of places this summer and last summer, but either didn't hear back from them or got rejected.

My university has some jobs available. The ones that would suit me require previous experience and the ones that really don't suit me require training and application forms. I come to application forms and can't fill in anything about previous employers, which will immediately look bad. I also don't really want to do a job I won't like.

Outside companies, they need previous experience or just reject me straight off for unknown reasons (probably because I have had no previous jobs). How will I EVER get my foot on the jobs ladder (and earning money too)? Its all hopeless. Everyone I know my age has had at least 1 proper job before, most 2 or more. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/cry.gif
    Everyone starts somewhere. Just get an application form, and make it clear that you haven't had a job before, but you want to start.

Either that, or having no experience will just turn into an excuse, which you'll hang on to for ages.

If you think it is nessacery to get a job then get one

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, OP. I tried applying for loads of jobs before I got my first proper jobs. You will be fine, trust me They say 'experience neccessary' on most jobs, but obviously, they do hire you sometimes without any experience, (else how else do we all get our first jobs?) Best of luck with it, you will be fine, just believe in yourself

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.