Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm 19, male.

I used to love going to town when I was 17-18. The novelty however has worn off, and despite a few "special" nights out. I much prefer my own drinking company, some decent TV and the internet.

"How sad" the sheep say.

I love a binge. I work 5.5 days a week, full time, 11 hours a day. The money is good and I absolutely love my job. Ideal for my age (19) because the CV citation is brilliant too. Saturday is my FULL day off, so I can start drinking after work on the Friday without consequence well into next morning. I've drank since age 14, and "progressed" so I can now handle more than any litre of 80 proof when I choose. I Tend to be more sensible now though, and limit myself to about 40 units a week. Plainly, do I have to worry if I only do this once a week until my 25th birthday? Some drink every day of their life in excess. Some binge one day every sat of their adult life and are fine?

Is it a calculated gamble?

ReputationRep:
    Most people your age (students) binge at least 3 (if not more) times a week. While drinking on your own is rarely a good thing, I can't see that once a week is bad as long as you don't get addicted and don't get long-term cravings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimD)
    Most people your age (students) binge at least 3 (if not more) times a week. While drinking on your own is rarely a good thing, I can't see that once a week is bad as long as you don't get addicted and don't get long-term cravings.
    I can drink upto 30-40 units a night when I do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkingThoughts)
    I can drink upto 30-40 units a night when I do though.
    Drinking that amount once a week is not what I'd call an alcoholic. You have a problem if you get cravings, can't get out of bed without alcohol, get sick if you don't drink, and your drinking starts to have a serious negative effect on your relationships, work, and life in general.

When I go out I tend to drink about 20-35 units each time I'm out, and I'm out about 3 times a week, as most full-time students do, but I'm not addicted to it and went months without having a drop over the summer.

I wouldn't worry about it unless your drinking escalates and you feel it is causing you real problems.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.