Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone noticed how British food isn't really a meal? Apart from Fish & Chips (so nice), Jacket potatoes, beans on toast and roast chicken aren't exactly the most inventive selections. There's no recipe involved. Nothing. I can't believe that all most people live off is ready-made curry and stir fry. Anyone that tries proper food that takes time to prepare will regret it. Main example I'm thinking of is Iranian food.

ReputationRep:
    Roast dinner?

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of traditional pies as well...
    I guess differences in climate and common trades throughout history meant that the meals eaten in the UK were quite high in fats and carbohydrates - to support a cool climate and labour intensive jobs that were common. This was then enhanced with what a strong mining, steel and production industry there has always been in the UK - along with the crops that survive well in our climate.

.... from this perspective, we can't be blamed for eating kinda gross and bland food... It's just that kinda gross things grow well here. Namely, potatoes and cabbage.

ReputationRep:
    English food > Iranian food

... and I'm Iranian

ReputationRep:
    Well I am in love with Fish and Chips =), but I haven't really tried any other kinds of British foods :P

ReputationRep:
    Fish and chips, steak and kidney pie + mash, roast beef + yorkshire puddings etc., Chicken Tikka Masala technically. Plenty of English food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)

... and I'm Iranian
    Seriously? :eyeball:

(Original post by sinadoom)
    Has anyone noticed how British food isn't really a meal? Apart from Fish & Chips (so nice), Jacket potatoes, beans on toast and roast chicken aren't exactly the most inventive selections. There's no recipe involved. Nothing. I can't believe that all most people live off is ready-made curry and stir fry. Anyone that tries proper food that takes time to prepare will regret it. Main example I'm thinking of is Iranian food.
    Bangers and mash mate, can't go wrong :yep:

It's not really recipe based perhaps, but I think Iranian food is more the exception than the rule. Most Western meals involve far less effort and complexity compared to Eastern foods...

Shepherd's/Cottage Pie. :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Seriously? :eyeball:

Bangers and mash mate, can't go wrong :yep:
    Yah, be gentle :spank:

ReputationRep:
    What about puddings and sweet stuff? Sticky toffee, spotted ****, eve's pudding, eccles cakes, chelsea and marlborough buns etc?

I know they're not technically meals, but they should count for something.

Edit: Thought of something savoury, british and fairly complicated- Cornish Pasties

ReputationRep:

... and I'm Iranian
    mate what are you on? Kobedeh Kebab:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljebo)
    mate what are you on? Kobedeh Kebab:woo:
    One of the few dishes I like, I'll give you that. But, I still stand by what I said :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsShifty)
    What about puddings and sweet stuff? Sticky toffee, spotted ****, eve's pudding, eccles cakes, chelsea and marlborough buns etc?

I know they're not technically meals, but they should count for something.

Edit: Thought of something savoury, british and fairly complicated- Cornish Pasties
    :lol:

Does anyone else become really immature in these British food threads?

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that all most people live off is ready-made curry and stir fry. Anyone that tries proper food that takes time to prepare will regret it.
    What's proper food that takes time to prepare? Sorry, I only know what microwaved jacket potatoes are. Oh yeah, and black pudding with custard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    :lol:

Does anyone else become really immature in these British food threads?
    British Food Thread Revised Version 1.2 - Now suitable for ages 13 and under!

Spotted Richard

Better? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsShifty)
    British Food Thread Revised Version 1.2 - Now suitable for ages 13 and under!

Spotted Richard

Better? :p:
    Aw, ruining my fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidkulk)
    Well I am in love with Fish and Chips =), but I haven't really tried any other kinds of British foods :P
    Are you one of these Americans who have stereotypes about England like we all speak wtih posh accents and only eat fish and chips.

I have a couple of Polish friends who think British grub is definately a step up. Personally, though, I'm a big fan of Greek food - the Greeks are big believers in fresh, quality produce, strong flavours and big portions. They also like their wine! I've never tried anything Iranian, what do you recommend?

ReputationRep:

... and I'm Iranian
    :confused:

If by "British food" you mean the stuff they serve at the curry houses (so, so good), then I agree, but......actual British food???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    :confused:

If by "British food" you mean the stuff they serve at the curry houses (so, so good), then I agree, but......actual British food???
    Yes, Sunday Roasts, (Shepard) Pies, Fish & Chips. Currys as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.