Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I said "I wouldn't think", and "personally I''m suspicious", because clearly I am not the expert, and these are my opinions, those I do actually have first hand experience of the OU.

I thank River85, for making an articulate, well-informed argument to the contrary, which will be useful to the OP.

Unfortunately morecambebay is a rude and vitriolic wannabe class warrior, who seems to like following people around, shouting everyone down, whilst trying to sound like the voice of the people. Ignore him/her, and you have an interesting thread with good points, and some debate from either side of the opinions. (Also, I would hope my uni has given me some research skills, now I'm doing just that, fulltime).

ReputationRep:
    Some of the posting has not been opinion but simply straight misinformation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferb)
    well im on a sports course now and i really dont want to go in to sports for a career the business world has always been an interest of mine and i regret not choosing it at uni

i dont really feel as if uni is for me thats why the ou appeals to me

im lost :s
    If you aren't happy doing that course, dropping out is the best thing to do. Even if you could transfer to the subject area you want, you don't seem to like your university either. I don't think there's much point wasting a year somewhere when you are really certain that it's not the place and course for you.

If you want to try the OU you could do one of their introductory modules and see if the learning style suits you? As has been pointed out in this thread, it's a bit different to that of a brick uni and you may feel isolated or dislike the teaching methods. You may find out that you don't like distance learning anyway and decide to reapply to brick uni or try to find a different route into business but at least you will know for sure if the OU is the right or wrong route for you.

(Original post by alveolus)
    I said "I wouldn't think", and "personally I''m suspicious", because clearly I am not the expert, and these are my opinions, those I do actually have first hand experience of the OU.

I thank River85, for making an articulate, well-informed argument to the contrary, which will be useful to the OP.

Unfortunately morecambebay is a rude and vitriolic wannabe class warrior, who seems to like following people around, shouting everyone down, whilst trying to sound like the voice of the people. Ignore him/her, and you have an interesting thread with good points, and some debate from either side of the opinions. (Also, I would hope my uni has given me some research skills, now I'm doing just that, fulltime).
    I don't think morecambebay was being particularly rude or vitriolic at all. You say that you meant your post to be read as your opinion. Indeed, you did include the words "personally" and "I wouldn't think" in your post. However the first paragraph of your original post reads:
    Think of them more as courses. Vocational (for some practical, specific job qualification, like a law course, or an accounting qual), or interest (because you liked maths as a child, but didnt go to uni and now have a job and cant go). It isn't really a degree in the proper sense of the word, just a series of paid-for modules.
    Basically, you opened your post in a way that suggested that you were in possession of facts and yet the information you posted was entirely (as you now know thanks to River85's excellent post) false. Which is perhaps why people have been taking offense to your previous post.

Personally I think it's rather ironic to claim that an OU degree will not be as good as brick university degree and not "proper". Yet you, with your apparently "better" brick university education, didn't feel the need to research your information... When being able to research information is an important skill for university students. Really, I wouldn't take morecambebay's comment to be offensive. I've seen much more abuse-laden responses on this forum towards users that have made spelling/typing errors!

Please don't take my post as being rude, I am just making some observations. Not trying to offend you or anyone else.

(Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Some of the posting has not been opinion but simply straight misinformation
    I would disagree with you. The dictionary definition of the word "opinion" states that an opinion can be: "A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof:"

I would argue that the information in the posts you are referring to, has been held in complete confidence by the the posters in question. Therefore I would think that the use of the word opinion would be acceptable in this instance.

Oh boo hoo hoo. :bawling: All I did was point out the lack of research that you had done, tell you that starting a course was not the same as passing it, and that there were introductory ones available.It's ironic that you make my points out to be bad when it was yours which were full of crap and all of mine have been entirely accurate. :yep:

And following people around? Have we ever even spoken outside of this thread? I havent shouted anybody down either.

ReputationRep:
    erm, that employability one, where 80% of posts told you you were wrong, and you kept up your attacks, particularly on me.
    That's mainly the vitriol I'm referring to Lunarsea. If mb doesn't remember, excellent.

though i will say, I have done research. i've been involved in an OU course, which no doubt is more than most of you.
    And I think people are kidding themselves to think it's as good, nice though it would be to think. The research done by OU I would agree seems to be very good though, but that wasn't the question, and I wasn't slurring the OU in general. I think it would be unfair to impress open the OP that it's the same as going to uni. TSR seems to have a default setting to bias discussions this way though, it's an analogue of the way students are generally very left wing-militant style, so I don't expect a proper answer to come from all this.

And now I'l go, because this clearly isn't the place for a view that everything isn't as good as everything else.

erm, that employability one, where 80% of posts told you you were wrong, and you kept up your attacks, particularly on me.
    That's mainly the vitriol I'm referring to Lunarsea. If mb doesn't remember, excellent.

though i will say, I have done research. i've been involved in an OU course, which no doubt is more than most of you.
    And I think people are kidding themselves to think it's as good, nice though it would be to think. The research done by OU I would agree seems to be very good though, but that wasn't the question, and I wasn't slurring the OU in general. I think it would be unfair to impress open the OP that it's the same as going to uni. TSR seems to have a default setting to bias discussions this way though, it's an analogue of the way students are generally very left wing-militant style, so I don't expect a proper answer to come from all this.

And now I'l go, because this clearly isn't the place for a view that everything isn't as good as everything else.
    Looking at your post history, I take it you are on about 'do employers care where you get your degree from'. I think you'll find that there were more people than myself disagreeing with you. Infact, reading it back, most of my points were well argued, you disagreeing with me doesnt mean you are being attacked.

This is the OU section, I think you will find that 99% of the people in here are current OU students.

As for your final point, show some evidence that the OU isnt as good as normal unis. It has already been pointed out to you that the degrees are accreddited in exactly the same way and if you hang around here long enough you will meet people who have gained acces to oxbridge for phds after doing OU undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering the same thing as the OP too. I live at home and have just started at a traditional 'red brick' uni, but I've started to look into the possibility of switching to doing an Open Uni course. Studying whenever and wherever you are really appeals to me as opposed to the rigid timetable and setting of regular uni. So I gather that Open Uni degrees are well respected by employers just like degrees from traditional brick and mortar unis?

ReputationRep:
    I went to a 'red brick' university for a year but really didn't like it so I came home. I'm now planning to start an OU degree course early next year. I'll be able to work and earn money but also study in my own time for a degree which really appeals to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arthur Pint)
    So I gather that Open Uni degrees are well respected by employers just like degrees from traditional brick and mortar unis?
    Yes, within reason. You'll always be at a disadvantage against an Oxbridge graduate for example but isn't that the case with most unis? An OU degree also has the added advantage of showing a high level of determination because most people mix studying with a full time job, which is exceedingly demanding.

ReputationRep:
    I have a BSc from UMIST (hardly a shoddy establishment), an MSc from the OU and I'm currently doing a BA in PPE again at the OU.

The teaching materials, support and structure of the degree is far, far better than I experienced in the bricks'n'mortar university. There are lengthy tutorial sessions, both in person and via teleconference and I can call my tutor up any time I need help.

You have to be more self-motivated: nobody is going to complain about your non-attendance at lectures and I think marking is actually quite tough. As some one who sits on the interview board for a large multi-national IT company, I can promise you that OU degrees are extremely highly respected both for teaching quality and as a demonstration of motivation.

Student satisfaction is extremely high. Look it up and compare it with other institutions.

ReputationRep:
    I assure you that OU is not a "lesser" place to study, nor do they award "lesser" degrees. I am doing maths with the OU and it's a very rigorous and well taught course. You don't just go and teach yourself, you are guided, assessed, tutored and everything is carefully managed. I think the extra self-motivation needed to study in your spare time (often after your day job, or whilst raising a family) tends to count highly for anyone (such as an employer) seeing an OU degree on your CV.

ReputationRep:

Lol, just because a couple of people have disagreed with you you think they are 'vitriolic' and 'left wing militant'. People are just correcting your unfounded opinions.

I have studied at both a brick uni and with the OU and the course materials are just as good, and exams just as rigorous. I have also spoken to employers who have been impressed with my OU study, and I have been offered placements on the basis of my OU degree. Studying with the OU shows dedication, time management and commitment, all great things to talk about at interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryswirl)
    Lol, just because a couple of people have disagreed with you you think they are 'vitriolic' and 'left wing militant'. People are just correcting your unfounded opinions.

I have studied at both a brick uni and with the OU and the course materials are just as good, and exams just as rigorous. I have also spoken to employers who have been impressed with my OU study, and I have been offered placements on the basis of my OU degree. Studying with the OU shows dedication, time management and commitment, all great things to talk about at interviews.
    sigh..no that's not why. But thanks for coming back this again. I'm sure you are helping this thread no end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklight)
    Anecdotal, but I had no problems getting onto Masters courses with my OU BSc (graduated first class). I had unconditional offers from UCL, Bristol and Nottingham.
    That's my experience too. I recently graduated with a BSc Life Sciences from the OU and have just started an MRes in Biomedical Research at Imperial. I was one of those who had never done any biology at school, let alone an A level. So, as has already been pointed out, it's not where you start that matters, it's where you finish.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.