Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's my first post on these forums, so I thought it should be about looking for my first job.

Go to the bottom for a large TL;DR.

A little bit of backstory - 18, turning 19, never had a job, always wanted one. Applied to everywhere that had jobs going, even some when they weren't. Left school with one higher, four intermediate-2s and one credit; wasn't very clever hence my crappy grades.

Been desperate for a job and am in college doing an HNC (Computer Games Development, but since found programming to be amazing... so it might be an interest for me to find a course for programming). Finished the NC last year and passed.

TL;DR - Got some grades, had no luck with jobs, in college and nearly 19.

I've seen a job posting going up for Phones4U that I feel really keen to try for. The one I'm looking at is a part time job, don't know hours/days.

The question(s) I'm posing is this : Should I apply there with no experience and grades I've got? Will college be a problem for employment?

TL;DR : Saw a part job in phones4U, not sure if I've got the skills or experience they need though I am keen. Should I go for it?

ReputationRep:
    You might as well apply, you have nothing to lose.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by portbobcat)
    It's my first post on these forums, so I thought it should be about looking for my first job.

Go to the bottom for a large TL;DR.

A little bit of backstory - 18, turning 19, never had a job, always wanted one. Applied to everywhere that had jobs going, even some when they weren't. Left school with one higher, four intermediate-2s and one credit; wasn't very clever hence my crappy grades.

Been desperate for a job and am in college doing an HNC (Computer Games Development, but since found programming to be amazing... so it might be an interest for me to find a course for programming). Finished the NC last year and passed.

TL;DR - Got some grades, had no luck with jobs, in college and nearly 19.

I've seen a job posting going up for Phones4U that I feel really keen to try for. The one I'm looking at is a part time job, don't know hours/days.

The question(s) I'm posing is this : Should I apply there with no experience and grades I've got? Will college be a problem for employment?

TL;DR : Saw a part job in phones4U, not sure if I've got the skills or experience they need though I am keen. Should I go for it?
    My sister just thought it will probably your last. There are not many jobs out there for you, but its the employers that make it hard.
    I suggest you do some volunteering....yeah yeah I know you won't get paid, but its the experience that counts. I was the luckiest bunch had no experience in fashion retail and straight away I successfully gained my first proper job. :yes: OK it might be not the best work around, but at least I can get the experience I need to get another probably and hopefully a better job. And you know the saying - someone's got to start somewhere. My sister used to work for Tesco and Schuh now she's a qualified solicitor as she trained to become one after studying law at university and at law college afterwards.
    Therefore its the determination thats the key, keep trying and never give up!

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about volunteering, it might be a good idea if they were willing to take me on. Sounds good though, when I go home from college on Monday or Tuesday I'll see which shops are looking for volunteers.

Any other advice in the meanwhile for job seeking whilst at College/Uni?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.