Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I do the same, one thinv is that when checking, dont try and follow your previous working as you will just make the same mistakes again, if you can try and do a few tests on the answer to check it must be right, eg let x=7 and test for that specific value. sometimes this isn't possible so do the question again. Make sure you read the question again from scratch, its very easy to think you are reading it when simply you are remembering the question from last time.

Also ask your teacher when marking your h/k not to give any ecf. That way any improvements will give large improvement in your mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    do what i did, practice practice practice. these are the very books i used to sail through my exams and yes i know your frustration you will overcome this with time, trust me. here are the books.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
    You seriously don't want all this rubbish. Seriously.

Practice is the key and check over as you're going along. Another thing is to actually check the question. Like you, in M1 I did distance the pulley moved when I should've calculated height above ground. I only lost one mark as I checked all my other workings but I knew from then I had to read the question again!

ReputationRep:
    I do the same, one thinv is that when checking, dont try and follow your previous working as you will just make the same mistakes again, if you can try and do a few tests on the answer to check it must be right, eg let x=7 and test for that specific value. sometimes this isn't possible so do the question again. Make sure you read the question again from scratch, its very easy to think you are reading it when simply you are remembering the question from last time.

Also ask your teacher when marking your h/k not to give any ecf. That way any improvements will give large improvement in your mark.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I make mistakes too but I think you need to practice, practice, practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    C1 is Core 1, the first module of A-level maths which covers things like differentiation and coordinates. If you can't use a graphical calculator, you could always try and picture the graphs and get an approximation e.g. \displaystyle\int_0^1 x^2 dx will have an answer that's approximately the area of a right angled triangle going through (0,0), (1,0) and (1,1).
    Aha! I shall now try to zap up my powers of imagination in the exam! Also, with simple algebraic integration I simply just differentiate it back to see if it is correct .. but of course, there is always a risk of an error in differentiation Dammit I'm getting paranoid!

(Original post by meatball893)
    I make loads of mistakes when I'm tired. It might just be that simple. Sleep more! Or at least have some tea :p:
    Truest thing ever spoken! But my Maths exams are ALWAYS scheduled at 7.30 in the morning, the horror! Imagine doing four hours of hell bleary-eyed! :p:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    Truest thing ever spoken! But my Maths exams are ALWAYS scheduled at 7.30 in the morning, the horror! Imagine doing four hours of hell bleary-eyed! :p:
    Hell?! :mad: Bad thing to say in the maths forum! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meatball893)
    Hell?! :mad: Bad thing to say in the maths forum! :p:
    :ahee: I shall now put a coin in the swear jar Might it ease the blow a little if I used a euphemism instead? :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    :ahee: I shall now put a coin in the swear jar Might it ease the blow a little if I used a euphemism instead? :getmecoat:

possibly... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadnessRed)

I find that reading the question backwards helps to isolate the key words without just remembering them. Obviously this is a bit impractical for some of the wordier questions but I still find it to be a fairly useful technique.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.