Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Well it's certainly not maths, further maths, chemistry and physics
    No because it wouldn't it then be called either maths, further maths, chemistry or physics. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Sciences are really freaking difficult and very demanding. Mickey Mouse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
    Biology is equally as important to physics and chemistry. It's another way of looking the world. Chemistry is 'what' happens. Physics is the 'How' and Biology is the 'Why'.
    That's fairly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god lol, when will the academic snobbery end?

ReputationRep:
    Whoever said that is an idiot, and it's a load of bull. It is one of the most respected traditional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire_Eyes)
    Did he fail perphaps?

The textbooks we have scare me there huge!!

Biology is equally as important to physics and chemistry. It's another way of looking the world. Chemistry is 'what' happens. Physics is the 'How' and Biology is the 'Why'.

Each are equally important into life on this planet.
    Wat.

If Physics is applied Maths, and Chemistry is applied Physics, and Biology is applied Chemistry, how can it possibly be the 'Why'.

I would say Physics is the 'Why', Chemistry is the 'How' and Biology is the 'What'.

ReputationRep:
    But there's 'why', 'what' and 'how' in all sciences...

ReputationRep:
    I wonder which subject the teacher studied ?

ReputationRep:
    I bet that teacher was a physics or chemistry teacher lol. I'm not saying they all hate bio but there is a stereotype that they view it as the 'least academic' science etc.

But if they are saying that about bio I dread to think what they say about media etc (not saying that I think media is 'mickey mouse', just that it's the usual example people give)

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would say that it probably is easier than subjects like chemistry and physics, but I definately dont think that its a mickey mouse subject!

ReputationRep:
    You took the opinion of someone who teaches Sociology seriously? :facepalm: More fool you

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was a Mickey Mouse subject. But I suppose there probably is a tendency for some people studying/teaching the most "difficult" subjects to think that other subjects are beneath them, even if they aren't 'Mickey Mouse' as such.

For example, someone studying English Literature, History and Latin might think R.E. is a bit Mickey Mouse. Or someone studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics might say the same about Biology. It's just elitism within elitism :p:

It's not as bad as my Spanish teacher who told me that I shouldn't take Further Maths because it was a Mickey Mouse subject

ReputationRep:
    Physics A level is a mickey mouse subject!! Well, maybe that's abit of an exaggeration, but i just passed my thermodynamics test with 5 minutes of revision without understanding much of it- i didn't even have to remember the equations- they're all given to you! I feel sorry for bio students sometimes.... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmotlord)
    Just got told this in assembly by one of the teachers. Find it very hard to believe. Any1 who's done biology as: is this true or just a load of tosh
    That teacher is a retard.

ReputationRep:
    Is this "Micky Mouse Subject" phrase really starting to piss anyone else off or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    As someone doing physics at Uni, I find Biology to be simpler in comparison - the way it is tested in University relies far too much on rote learning and not enough on critical thinking.

That said, it still is a brilliant, powerful subject which can be very challenging. And for a sociology teacher to call it a "mickey mouse subject" is the ultimate irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmotlord)
    maybe this has something 2 do with the teacher being a sociology one (tryin 2 protect his own subjet ye ken?)
    As someone has already illustrated with an example, Biology tends to be on universities 'generally suitable' list of A-levels. Can't say the same for sociology. Maybe you should point this out to the teacher in question before he screws up his students A-level choices.

ReputationRep:
    your teacher failed Biology it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I wouldn't say it was a Mickey Mouse subject. But I suppose there probably is a tendency for some people studying/teaching the most "difficult" subjects to think that other subjects are beneath them, even if they aren't 'Mickey Mouse' as such.

For example, someone studying English Literature, History and Latin might think R.E. is a bit Mickey Mouse. Or someone studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics might say the same about Biology. It's just elitism within elitism :p:

It's not as bad as my Spanish teacher who told me that I shouldn't take Further Maths because it was a Mickey Mouse subject
    MEGA LULZ!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doink-the-Clown)
    Biology is a key ingredient of medicine so its impossible!
    This.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.