Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nobody else realise that OP is a troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmotlord)
    Just got told this in assembly by one of the teachers. Find it very hard to believe. Any1 who's done biology as: is this true or just a load of tosh
    Biology is certainly not regarded by anyone with half a brain as a mickey mouse subject.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the ravings of a teacher who most likely got a third from a bottom 20 university.

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking degree or A-level here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Are we talking degree or A-level here?
    Would it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Would it matter?
    Yeah. Biology A-level is definitely a mickey mouse subject. I got average 90% UMS in AS (doing A-level at home this year), lessons were rubbish, nobody understood the simplest of concepts, I memorised notes I wrote on the specification, bam got an A. It's not a real A-level. Some people struggle with it, so maybe it's just Edexcel biology that is a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Yeah. Biology A-level is definitely a mickey mouse subject. I got average 90% UMS in AS (doing A-level at home this year), lessons were rubbish, nobody understood the simplest of concepts, I memorised notes I wrote on the specification, bam got an A. It's not a real A-level. Some people struggle with it, so maybe it's just Edexcel biology that is a load of rubbish.
    Lmao.

Come talk to me once you've done A2. (I did AQA but whatever.)

AS is a cake walk compared to A2, please, don't share opinions on matters you have no experience of.

ReputationRep:
    from what i gather its more just learning and regurgitating facts then logic and reasoning, wheresas physics, chemistry and maths are more about thinking and working stuff out.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well Biology can be used to create an army of GM super soldiers.

Chemistry will allow you to make insane explosives

Physics will let you build a doom machine.

All 3 sciences are important for today's evil genius

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone have the aqa as biology unit 4 populations and evironment question paper as i urgently need.

ReputationRep:
    I studied Biology at degree level and it most certainly wasn't Mickey Mouse! True, I was hopeless at Physics and pretty poor at Maths (I took Chemistry A-level too and that was quite hard at times), so to me it was the easiest of the sciences, but still not a doddle. I now work as a geneticist and still find some parts of the subject a challenge to get my head round!

Sadly I think A-levels now are all about prepping students to pass exams in order to get to uni, rather than developing independent learning and/or scientific skills. If you enjoy it, stick with it because it's a great subject and only gets better :yes:

ReputationRep:
    the problem is it's subjective. i did biology, chemistry and physics at A-level and found biology the easiest, but also the most interesting. it all depends on the individual, some people are more adept at one subject than another.

That said biology certainly isnt a "mickey-mouse" (hate that) subject. i'm a week or so into my biology degree and it's already challenging, interesting and at some points difficult

anyway must make my point, you shouldn't go referring to a subject as "mickey-mouse" until you've actually studied it in enough depth. AS kids talking about how easy they find the exams, come do a degree in it, or a masters, or a phd, then you can write it off as easy :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    3/4 of people in my schools 3 biology classes failed Jan exams it really isn't easy

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps there'd be a case if he was refering to social biology or zoology, but if he's trying to encompass Molecular Biology, Genetics and Biochemistry in that statement, he should be fired, imo.

Cell Biology is the most happening Science there is at the moment. It's an incredibly exciting time to be a Biologist.

ReputationRep:
    Your SOCIOLOGY teacher had the audacity to claim that Biology is a mickey mouse subject!? Whatever next.

ReputationRep:
    It's not true at all.

ReputationRep:
    LOL that teacher is a total moron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corkscrew)
    Ha. You go to my school.
    actually?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting killed by that subject alone and I do chemistry, maths and further maths. I'm struggling to get an A but I'm doing it comfortably for everything else.

ReputationRep:
    Memorising science-y stuff isn't too intellectually strenuous, but micky-mouse subject it most certainly is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    Haven't done Bio myself, but as a Physics major I can't stand Bio students (professionally, I have plenty of friends in Bio but I can't talk science with them). They don't really understand what they're doing and just kinda follow their little formulas with no thought towards mechanism. They just ignore the most important question constantly: "Why is it happening the way it is?"
    Actually we're constantly encouraged to ask why something is the way it is. Problem solving and critical thinking are central to the area of biology that I study, at least. Of course you cannot talk science with your bio friends because you are studying physics. You wouldn't understand each other. It would be like a history student 'talking humanities' with a theology student. The problem with many physicists, mathematicians and engineers (not directing this at you personally) is their blind arrogance. I was once told by a physics student that biology was pointless because physics had it all explained in a set of equations. Quite how these equations translate into anything useful he couldn't explain. Physics-based reductionism is not universally useful. Yes, there is a lot to memorise in biology right up to degree level but only because there is a huge catalogue of knowledge that you need in biology before you can progress further in the field. That is just the nature of the beast.

More generally, there has to be some kind of horrible insecurity that needs dealing with in a person who feels the need to put down other academic fields, whether biology or sociology or anything else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.