Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hardest Science A level - Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths or (Geography)? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which is harder?
    Physics
    35.81%
    Chemistry
    41.48%
    Biology
    15.28%
    Maths
    7.42%

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

What is the hardest Science A level? I personally think Physics is the hardest! I can't get my head around quantum phenomena.

I hear Chemistry is hard, but is it harder than Physics?

ReputationRep:
    All of them aint hard if learnt properly.....chem probz is the hardest due to the various ways of questioning and outside factors which are implied in exam questions

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Further Maths - it's like maths, but harder (although more than 30% taking it got A*s last year)

ReputationRep:
    I would say physics as well but they are all difficult tbh just in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    At AS level, i found physics the hardest, at A2 im finding biology the hardest,because of all of the how science works rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths A-levels (in addition to Psychology) and so many of my classmates complain about Chemistry being too hard. I think this is because a lot of Chemistry is invisible and you can't really relate it to real life as much as you can with Biology and Physics. As long as you work at it and get your head around the theories you'll get there in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Biology. Which is why I didn't take it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the hardest conceptually is chemistry, however, I think the hardest exam is biology because of the structure of the questions (need to mention specific keywords).

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is probably the hardest for the sheer volume of equations and mechanisms you need to know.
    Physics is probably the hardest for the concepts
    Biology is the hardest exam because of all the specific terminology needed
    Maths is only hard if you find dealing with numbers difficult, otherwise it is just practice practice and more practice.

ReputationRep:
    Well if my former biology teachers were right then biology is the most impossible Alevel in existence and we might as well not even bother trying as were all going to fail anyway from the sound of things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Chemistry is probably the hardest for the sheer volume of equations and mechanisms you need to know.
    Physics is probably the hardest for the concepts
    Biology is the hardest exam because of all the specific terminology needed
    Maths is only hard if you find dealing with numbers difficult, otherwise it is just practice practice and more practice.
    Spot on, except I find the concepts of chemistry the hardest aspect of it.

ReputationRep:
    At A-level probably further maths. At degree level I'd say physics because you need the same awesome maths skills but also need to be incredibly amazing at understanding concepts and applying them in a variety of situations.

Chemistry is the biggest pile of bull ever. They treat it like physics in that you have formula's and concepts but they keep throwing all these 'exceptions to the rule at you'. **** me when doing organic chemistry it felt like I was doing biology. All I was doing was remembering reactions in certain conditions similar to the rote learning you get in biology. Got an A in it nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Physics, since I avoided that like the plague.

Chemistry and Maths are hard until they suddenly just click. I loved maths since once it clicks it becomes second nature, so you hardly need to revise at all.

Biology I found came naturally to me, so I'm not sure if that's because it plays on my strengths or because it's just easy. I love processes with one step leading to another in a logical fashion, so biology was perfect for that.

Physics... I found that cold and heartless. Electric currents, particles and waves hold no interest for me at all. Astro-physics always sounded cool though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I'd say Physics, since I avoided that like the plague.

Chemistry and Maths are hard until they suddenly just click. I loved maths since once it clicks it becomes second nature, so you hardly need to revise at all.

Biology I found came naturally to me, so I'm not sure if that's because it plays on my strengths or because it's just easy. I love processes with one step leading to another in a logical fashion, so biology was perfect for that.

Physics... I found that cold and heartless. Electric currents, particles and waves hold no interest for me at all. Astro-physics always sounded cool though.
    This is me! Although I haven't started A Levels I can see me being like this, I love maths biology and chemistry but only a little bit of physics - like astrophysics 🙈 I don't know what to do lol

ReputationRep:
    Can I have some advice/tips for A-Level maths, chemistry, biology and physics as I'm starting them this september. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    biology, without much competition, not the subject itself but because of the question structures and demand for key words.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry

It's got the hard mathematics and abstract concepts like physics, but also the bulk info like biology in organic.

Blugh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to include maths in the list you should have further maths too. Maths A level is very watered down in comparison to some of the further pure modules.

Physics isn't that bad and the maths is just plugging into equations. All you have to do in physics is recognize and use equations.

Biology is very qualitative and so the difficulty may be partly subjective. I am aware chemistry is the hardest of the science A levels by a long way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sade_101)
    Can I have some advice/tips for A-Level maths, chemistry, biology and physics as I'm starting them this september. Thanks
    I am doing that as well!!! But I really don't think I am as confident as you are - I'm probably going to change my Physics to Accounting... :'( I'm afraid that I may fail everything because of the work load that people are saying they have!

I don't really like Accounting either but apparently it's easier, which is what I'm actually hoping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom2k10)
    Hey guys,

What is the hardest Science A level? I personally think Physics is the hardest! I can't get my head around quantum phenomena.

I hear Chemistry is hard, but is it harder than Physics?
    Quantum phenomena? When I did AS physics, you just had to remember the charges on three quarks, and I know there was nothing else that got anywhere near quantum in the A2.

Chemistry can be hard to understand. Physics AS certainly was not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.