Turn on thread page Beta

Hardest Science A level - Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths or (Geography)? watch

• View Poll Results: Which is harder?
    Physics
    35.19%
    Chemistry
    41.20%
    Biology
    15.88%
    Maths
    7.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sade_101)
    Can I have some advice/tips for A-Level maths, chemistry, biology and physics as I'm starting them this september. Thanks
    Do past papers. Go through your answers, marking harshly. Note down words and phrases that the mark scheme asks for, and write mini-drafts for questions you did badly on.

Of course, you've gotta learn most of the content before past papers. Do that however you like to revise.

Using that technique, you have a good chance at full marks.

Ohh, also, do not neglect ISAs. My school (certainly in biology) didn't bother with ISA past papers or anything, so no one got more that 50/60. Doing a few past papers could get you 5 extra marks, which could be crucial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Biology - just a load of crap to memorize

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ak786454)
    I am doing that as well!!! But I really don't think I am as confident as you are - I'm probably going to change my Physics to Accounting... :'( I'm afraid that I may fail everything because of the work load that people are saying they have!

I don't really like Accounting either but apparently it's easier, which is what I'm actually hoping!
    Don't choose an A-Level that you don't like because you're more likely to succeed in a subject which you enjoy as you'll put more effort and time into
    that subject!
    Out of the three sciences I like to say that physics is my worst but I'm not terrible at it since I got an A at GCSE but I still enjoy it so I'm carrying on with it at A-Level. What GCSE grade did you get for physics?
    Some people who didn't do well at GCSE did great at A-Level however some who did great at GCSE didn't do so well at A-Level. This might have happened because they choose this subject that they didn't enjoy but felt it would look good on their cv and various applications.
    Subjects like maths, biology, chemistry and physics require a lot of hard work and dedication so in order to put in the hard work and dedication you'll need to like it as it will take up a lot of time. If you don't really like the subject you're bound to procrastinate more than you should therefore ending up with less revision time and could result in bad grades.
    So overall what I'm saying is if you enjoy the subject continue it and if you don't like it leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, let me start from the start:

I got 1A, 8B's, 1C and 1D*... And I'm really upset as I was expecting most of those B's to be A's... Anyway I'm trying my hardest to get over those at the moment...

I want to go into Dentistry and I feel that doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics would prove that I am capable off doing the hardest subjects and therefore maybe showing that I'm capable of doing Dentistry...

Here are the reasons why I want to do these subjects:
    1) Biology: there's a lot of memorization apparently which I love for some reason and I would love to find out how our body works...
    2) Chemistry: I'm not sure why I like it but I just do - I enjoyed learning about atoms and about covalent bonding, I didn't like Ionic bonding though as I found it way too confusing...
    3) Physics: I do love a little challenge and I love the mathematics as well... Just talking to someone without this knowledge sounds fun - like telling them technical words that they don't understand sounds fun as well and this subject sounds hard as well...
    4) Mathematics: It would support my Physics but also I like it as it's also challenging and requires practice - which I wouldn't mind...

My Dad said to me that if I fail that I'm going to have to listen to him in the following year and stick to what he wants me to do (he wanted me to do Physics and Mathematics as he says I would find it fun - but he doesn't want me to do Biology and Chemistry but he said I have to if I want to go into Dentistry so, he told me to do whatever I'm doing) and my sisters are just saying don't do the 3 sciences and maths as I may struggle, so it's just putting me off and my sisters said to change the Physics to something else but I don't like anything else...

These are the exam board I'm going to be on:
    1) Biology: OCR
    2) Chemistry: OCR
    3) Physics: Edexcel
    4) Mathematics: OCR

Now considering, all this above ^, what do you think I should do, please help me! I want to have time for a social life as well!!! Please help... I don't want to be trapped inside all day long and everyday, I really don't know what I'm getting into seriously! And this is why I need help from someone with experience!

Also I normally revise by reading a revision guide and then writing about what I remember then I go back and do it again if I see any mistakes... I didn't do that for GCSE's as I do think I procrastinated way too much! But this year I'm going to work my very hardest everyday! Obviously I wouldn't want to do these subjects and be trapped into working everyday, if you get what I mean? I do want some flexibility, as knowing that I would have to work everyday, would mean I would be put off revising if you get what I mean as I would feel scared and trapped...

And also what books would you recommend me buying for a person who wants to get straight A's but I'm not really a person who makes notes so I wouldn't want too much off a detailed book as this would mean I would have to make it more concise for myself...

I don't want to miss a single lesson - so changing 2 weeks into the course is no option for me, I'd rather decide now than later...

I'm not sure if you've been through AS and everything, but you look like you have the knowledge, so that's why I'm asking you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cappuccinoes)
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths A-levels (in addition to Psychology) and so many of my classmates complain about Chemistry being too hard. I think this is because a lot of Chemistry is invisible and you can't really relate it to real life as much as you can with Biology and Physics. As long as you work at it and get your head around the theories you'll get there in the end.

Are you retarded... have you heard of quantum physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vampyrawwrr)
    Are you retarded... have you heard of quantum physics?
    Have you even read the thread title? Quantum mechanics is only very very briefly covered in A-level physics. Your point is not really relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to but in - anyone who did Math AS, Phys, Econ, Graphics AS - two years ago? Please notify me.

ReputationRep:
    I love how no one even wrote about geography because it's hardly a subject, let alone a science

ReputationRep:
    Basically, let me start from the start:

I got 1A, 8B's, 1C and 1D*... And I'm really upset as I was expecting most of those B's to be A's... Anyway I'm trying my hardest to get over those at the moment...

I want to go into Dentistry and I feel that doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics would prove that I am capable off doing the hardest subjects and therefore maybe showing that I'm capable of doing Dentistry...

Here are the reasons why I want to do these subjects:
    1) Biology: there's a lot of memorization apparently which I love for some reason and I would love to find out how our body works...
    2) Chemistry: I'm not sure why I like it but I just do - I enjoyed learning about atoms and about covalent bonding, I didn't like Ionic bonding though as I found it way too confusing...
    3) Physics: I do love a little challenge and I love the mathematics as well... Just talking to someone without this knowledge sounds fun - like telling them technical words that they don't understand sounds fun as well and this subject sounds hard as well...
    4) Mathematics: It would support my Physics but also I like it as it's also challenging and requires practice - which I wouldn't mind...

My Dad said to me that if I fail that I'm going to have to listen to him in the following year and stick to what he wants me to do (he wanted me to do Physics and Mathematics as he says I would find it fun - but he doesn't want me to do Biology and Chemistry but he said I have to if I want to go into Dentistry so, he told me to do whatever I'm doing) and my sisters are just saying don't do the 3 sciences and maths as I may struggle, so it's just putting me off and my sisters said to change the Physics to something else but I don't like anything else...

These are the exam board I'm going to be on:
    1) Biology: OCR
    2) Chemistry: OCR
    3) Physics: Edexcel
    4) Mathematics: OCR

Now considering, all this above ^, what do you think I should do, please help me! I want to have time for a social life as well!!! Please help... I don't want to be trapped inside all day long and everyday, I really don't know what I'm getting into seriously! And this is why I need help from someone with experience!

Also I normally revise by reading a revision guide and then writing about what I remember then I go back and do it again if I see any mistakes... I didn't do that for GCSE's as I do think I procrastinated way too much! But this year I'm going to work my very hardest everyday! Obviously I wouldn't want to do these subjects and be trapped into working everyday, if you get what I mean? I do want some flexibility, as knowing that I would have to work everyday, would mean I would be put off revising if you get what I mean as I would feel scared and trapped...

And also what books would you recommend me buying for a person who wants to get straight A's but I'm not really a person who makes notes so I wouldn't want too much off a detailed book as this would mean I would have to make it more concise for myself...

I don't want to miss a single lesson - so changing 2 weeks into the course is no option for me, I'd rather decide now than later...

I'm not sure if you've been through AS and everything, but you look like you have the knowledge, so that's why I'm asking you...
    Take Chem , Biology and Maths. However, I would take an easier subject to go with these. Physicis is just horse ****, and more or less just rembering a bunch of formulas and inputting the numbers. If you can keep on top of your work or even work ahead ensuring that you get all concepts you will be fine. The workload isnt really that bad unless you leave everything for ages! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvanW)
    Take Chem , Biology and Maths. However, I would take an easier subject to go with these. Physicis is just horse ****, and more or less just rembering a bunch of formulas and inputting the numbers. If you can keep on top of your work or even work ahead ensuring that you get all concepts you will be fine. The workload isnt really that bad unless you leave everything for ages! Best of luck
    You may want to check when I sent that message...

ReputationRep:
    You may want to check when I sent that message...
    haha pissing bro , sorry!

ReputationRep:
    My D was not one of the options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvanW)
    haha pissing bro , sorry!
    Haha - you jokerr

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the stigma with physics, its just a matter of understanding what's going on, although i really shouldn't say that as I'm only on my AS half of the course and it's alright so far, I've found that maths is also the same, simple understanding and practicing certain things can really stick
    however, chemistry seems to be the mix of physics and biology content wise, its both got the many small details that are essential like biology and the conceptual content like physics, so I'm 90% sure my as mock will be full of trip ups for me

ReputationRep:
    I don't do any science (boo science, yay maths), but according to my friends who do both Chemistry, Physics and Maths, it's really between Physics and Chemistry as the hardest. Biology seems to be easy I hear since people who aren't so clever are doing it, same with geography. Chemistry is difficult but my friends seem to be okay with it... Think Physics is the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pereira325)
    I don't do any science (boo science, yay maths), but according to my friends who do both Chemistry, Physics and Maths, it's really between Physics and Chemistry as the hardest. Biology seems to be easy I hear since people who aren't so clever are doing it, same with geography. Chemistry is difficult but my friends seem to be okay with it... Think Physics is the hardest.
    Biology is not easy - most at my school who take 2 or more sciences say Biology is the hardest.

There is so much memorisation and application involved, it makes it way more complex than people make it out to be.

The worst part is although all science A-levels follow the same structure, biology is way more memorisation than the others - and so the final 2 hour A-level paper examines on both years of content. That's 700 pages in one exam, or approx 390 hours of lessons - examined in ONE SINGLE EXAM. Obviously not everything is tested on, but you still need to revise it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Biology is not easy - most at my school who take 2 or more sciences say Biology is the hardest.

There is so much memorisation and application involved, it makes it way more complex than people make it out to be.

The worst part is although all science A-levels follow the same structure, biology is way more memorisation than the others - and so the final 2 hour A-level paper examines on both years of content. That's 700 pages in one exam, or approx 390 hours of lessons - examined in ONE SINGLE EXAM. Obviously not everything is tested on, but you still need to revise it all.
    Aha, for me and my mates. We are legends at revising/memorising. Like, that is the easiest exam. I mean, all you gotta do is remember stuff right ? When the method doesn't change it's a lot easier. Personaly subjects are hardest when you can't fully prepare for them.. Like you gotta improvise. Can see that maybe in Chemistry? Like if they gave you some "new" element and asked stuff about it.. IDK about biology though.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.