Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A bit of an old story I know, but interesting still:

THE medals of one of the SAS heroes of the legendary Iranian Embassy siege are being sold — and are expected to fetch up to £120,000.

Sergeant Tommy Palmer was one of only three men awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal for his part in the 1980 operation.

The stunning attack by our elite special forces in the heart of London was captured on TV and helped forge the worldwide reputation and respect of the SAS.

Scots-born Sgt Palmer was one of the first to burst through the windows as the 20-strong SAS team stormed the building.

But his hood caught fire, setting his hair ablaze, and he had to slap out the flames with his hands.

After ripping off his hood and mask he went in and aimed his MP5 machine gun at a terrorist who was about to light a carpet soaked in kerosene.

He heard the "dead man's click" as his weapon jammed so he dropped it and quickly took out his 9mm Browning pistol from a thigh holster.

The terrorist fled clutching a hand grenade and ran towards a room that Sgt Palmer knew was full of hostages.

He chased him into the corridor and shot him in the head — saving the lives of many.

The operation — codenamed Nimrod — saw all 19 hostages freed unhurt and left five of the six terrorists dead.

Then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher personally thanked the SAS team afterwards and her husband Denis is said to have told one with a grin: "You let one of the *******s live."

Sgt Palmer was killed in a car crash just three years later at the age of 31 on covert operations against the IRA in Northern Ireland.

As well as his Queen's Gallantry award, the mementoes being sold by his family include the charred hood he wore in the siege, photos and letters of congratulation.

A spokesman for auctioneers Bonhams said: "During the siege of the Iranian Embassy in 1980, Tommy was part of the team Romeo Two.

"His team abseiled off the roof, down to the balcony, and made their assault from there. Romeo Two succeeded in freeing four female hostages.

"Tommy shot and killed one of the terrorists, 'Hassan', and contained the other gunmen.

"In June 1981, the Queen's Gallantry Medal was awarded to Tommy and two other SAS troopers, in a private ceremony in Buckingham Palace.

"Tragically, Tommy Palmer died on 8 February 1983, aged just 31, near Lurgan in Northern Ireland.

"While on a covert operation, the car that he and another SAS soldier were driving, overturned and hit a bank of the M1 motorway."

Sgt Palmer was born in 1950 in Falkirk, Scotland, and brought up in Edinburgh.

From the age of eight he was in care and looked after by the Marian Fathers, a Roman Catholic religious group.

At the age of 16 he moved in with his cousin, who was recently married and living in a small house, who set him on the straight and narrow.

He worked as a coalman before joining the army in 1970 with 33rd Field Squadron Royal Engineers and in 1973 applied to join the SAS aged just 22 — one of the youngest ever then to apply.

He was forced to quit his first selection bid through injury but later the same year he returned and passed with flying colours.

The sale at Bonhams Knightsbridge is on September.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...s-on-sale.html

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think you could put a price on heroism...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NazzP92)
    Didn't think you could put a price on heroism...
    The guy has been deceased for ages, and they are worth a lot because of who he was and what he did.
    I'm sure whoever is selling them has their reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I guess selling his medals doesn't really make him less of a hero.

My dad has 2 of those medals, and he'd never ever sell them. They're his legacy!

ReputationRep:
    His medals. He earnt them. He can do what he wants.

Nobody knows what sort of financial position he is in now anyway.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    I guess selling his medals doesn't really make him less of a hero.

My dad has 2 of those medals, and he'd never ever sell them. They're his legacy!
    The man's dead, his family are selling them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Break To Build)
    The man's dead, his family are selling them off.
    "I guess his family selling his medals doesn't make him any less of a hero."

Does that make more sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tumpelo)

/thread
    Read the article again:

Sgt Palmer was killed in a car crash just three years later at the age of 31 on covert operations against the IRA in Northern Ireland.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tumpelo)

/thread
    Erm, yeah i take it you didn't actually read the article? He's dead

Edit: Other people got there first :P. You're still a muppet Tumpelo

ReputationRep:
    "He chased him into the corridor and shot him in the head"

In my mind he looks like a crazed Jack Nicholson, I loled.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.