Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do this and what did they get.
    I got a A (2 marks off A*) in GCSE Maths and A* in Physics.
    I'm not doing AS Maths but I am doing Physics.
    Will I be at any sort of disadvantage.

btw
    I'm doing Edexcel Salters.

ReputationRep:
    I got A* in both Maths (modular- Edexcel) and A* in Physics (Triple- AQA). Im doing both of them for a levels. You wont be disadvantaged but by doing a level maths it makes life a lot more easier. From unit 2 physics a lot of maths is required, by doing core maths it will make it easier to understand. Plus, mechanics is another repeated physics lesson.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you have a natural aptitude in maths, it shouldn't be too difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    So long as you have a natural aptitude in maths, it shouldn't be too difficult.
    This pretty much.

OP -> Maths and physics do compliment each other nicely, but for AS level there isn't any pressing need for AS level maths. If you are going to do A2 physics afterwards, taking AS maths including the M1 module would probably be very beneficial although this is dependent on what your course content is. I'm not familiar with Edexcel but I imagine it'll still have a decent amount of mechanics in it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS physics without maths, as long as you have a firm understanding of maths especially rearranging then it's not too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, rearranging equations and solving them confidently, especially when you do SUVAT equations.

A2 physics on the other hand has a lot more maths in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Anyone do this and what did they get.
    I got a A (2 marks off A*) in GCSE Maths and A* in Physics.
    I'm not doing AS Maths but I am doing Physics.
    Will I be at any sort of disadvantage.

btw
    I'm doing Edexcel Salters.
    BAD CHOICE! ideally if your heading for a career down the physics route, then maths should be your most important skill. at degree level you will find out physics IS maths. Plus im done with my studies and im looking to pass my books down to someone worthwhile, a mixture of physics, maths and mechanics book for next to nothing. these books will really help you so if your intrested check them out, also if you need any other advice/help on prospects etc let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

ReputationRep:
    I done AS physics with a C in gcse maths and still doing physics, got a B at AS, pretty happy with that tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.