Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm now in year 11 and planning to do IB next year.

My choices are:
    SL: English, Economics, Spanish/Italian
    HL: Maths, Chemistry, Physics

I want to do Maths, Engineering or Business in uni, probably minor a language.

Now my problem is, I don't know whether I should continue with Spanish or start Italian. Italian is all fresh to me and people say it is similar to Spanish. I would very love to learn a new language but I don't know whether I can cope with it.
    I am quite keen on studying languages. I'm doing Spanish and Latin GCSE. And I did Chinese GCSE as well. I know Latin IB is really hard even SL so I didn't even think about taking it in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I did everything through A-levels, so talking about the difficulty of the subject in terms of IB won't come into this, however, I can give you an idea of the relative difficulty of ab initio languages and such.

Learning Italian from scratch can be pretty easy. It depends on the skill of your teacher to make it interesting and accessible. If it's just going to be grammar grammar grammar, you're going to feel pretty bogged down once you get to the past tense (We have the Passato Prossimo, the Passato Remoto, the Trapassato, and the Imperfect...and that's not even including the subjunctive forms, or the perfect pasts) - that's not to say it's a difficult language to learn. Once you master the pronunciation, a lot of it is just the same as Spanish -- "Mi chiamo Alessandro. Sono di Inghilterra. Studio Italiano da due anni. Mi piace molto la lingua italiana. Vuoi studiarla? Chissà?"

I think at 'A-level' (as that's essentially what IB is), you should be fine picking up a new language. With Spanish, you won't get to progress very far - you'll learn about subjunctives, conditionals, and a bit of grammar/vocab, but you don't get to go into the 'meaty' things that make Spanish quite tricky. With Italian, you have a clean slate and can use your Spanish as a starting point though in the end it's best to forget it all as nothing much matches up in terms of vocab (compare "Oggi ho lavorato per cinque ore, poi sono tornato a casa" with "Hoy, trabajé cinco horas, luego volví a casa")

In the end, it's your choice, and since either results in a language I'm a happy camper. Just figure out what's more important - learning something new, or building on previous skills.

ReputationRep:
    SL language is pretty straightforward - I did Latin drunk with no revision and got a 4. Assuming you want a 6/7 then you will turn up sober and work hard and it will be easy.

If you want a new challenge do Italian. The fact is that it is quite similar to Spanish so you shouldn't find it too difficult but so are French and English in many respects as well as plenty more Romance langs.

(Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    In the end, it's your choice, and since either results in a language I'm a happy camper. Just figure out what's more important - learning something new, or building on previous skills.
    He's right.

ReputationRep:
    so will I mix up Italian and Spanish after IB? I would like to use both language later on when I go into a job...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakynerdlol)
    so will I mix up Italian and Spanish after IB? I would like to use both language later on when I go into a job...
    Take SL Spanish if you are thinking of actually using the language. Take up Italian if you want an easier class/would like a better grade (B languages can be awful).

ReputationRep:
    As long as you put in work at the very beginning in Italian - learning the basics - you shouldn't find it too difficult. It's a fantastic language to learn and, once you get into it, you will enjoy it. I would say Italian all the way personally. But of course it's up to you: do what you think is honestly going to be the best option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William L)
    As long as you put in work at the very beginning in Italian - learning the basics - you shouldn't find it too difficult. It's a fantastic language to learn and, once you get into it, you will enjoy it. I would say Italian all the way personally. But of course it's up to you: do what you think is honestly going to be the best option.
    would it be a waste of time if i take Italian ab initio because you said it's like really easy? I want my 2 years to be really busy :woo:
    Comparing Spanish SL and Italian ab initio, which one gives more hard work to me? I'm kinda good at languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakynerdlol)
    would it be a waste of time if i take Italian ab initio because you said it's like really easy? I want my 2 years to be really busy :woo:
    Comparing Spanish SL and Italian ab initio, which one gives more hard work to me? I'm kinda good at languages
    Italian would be harder from the start - but then after that, once you have mastered the basics, it will be fine. Starting a new language from scratch will be more beneficial (especially if you are good and languages and already have Spanish of a sufficient level to consider doing IBS).
    Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Did you make a choice?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.