Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK to Have the Worlds Most Expensive Degrees Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were hundreds of thousands in America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    In this case, applying to America might not be a half-bad idea afterall.
    The top unis there will still be way more expensive than the top unis here. Here you get excellent value for money at the top unis, and still ok value for money at lower unis. If the fees rise to, say, £10k you will still get good value at top unis (compared to the top schools internationally), but some lower schools might not be worth going to any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    as long as the help available for fees rise in line with them....I see nothing wrong with higher fees.....

I daresay it would stop mickey mouse degrees as most people will not get themselves in c. £40-50K debt for a degree in "women studies"
    I doubt it would stop it, as most people take those degrees under the illusion that a degree will always lead to a graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    The top unis there will still be way more expensive than the top unis here. Here you get excellent value for money at the top unis, and still ok value for money at lower unis. If the fees rise to, say, £10k you will still get good value at top unis (compared to the top schools internationally), but some lower schools might not be worth going to any more.
    True, but some schools will cover total expected financial needs, which means theoretically you could have all your tuition paid by the university. Meh I think I'll definitely give it a shot now and see what works out cheaper :idontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The reason that there are degrees in Golf Course Management IS BECAUSE YOU NEED A DEGREE TO MANAGE A ******* GOLF COURSE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    UC berkley certainly is'nt.
    A Berkeley education would cost a student from, say, Alabama well over US 120,000 without any financial aid. And not everyone can get in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    True, but some schools will cover total expected financial needs, which means theoretically you could have all your tuition paid by the university. Meh I think I'll definitely give it a shot now and see what works out cheaper :idontknow:
    Good luck with that, being an international applicant. There are only 4 or 5 needs blind university for intn'l students in the states. MIT, Harvard, Williams, Dartmouth and one or two other. And they are RIDICULOUSLY tough to get in to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    Good luck with that, being an international applicant. There are only 4 or 5 needs blind university for intn'l students in the states.
    I know, I've found one. lol I'll need to be lucky but I reckon it's worth a punt anyway :p: Chicago does, too. Although they're not needs-blind, they will fund you. I'll have to to send them photos of my bare ankles

ReputationRep:
    This kind of **** is going to kill the union.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it say that Norwegian universities are the third most expensive in the world? I am pretty sure they're free even at masters level.

On inspection of the original data it appears they've included some private institutions. That basically makes this article completely misleading.

ReputationRep:
    good way to start

1. a lost generation

2. a brain drain

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it would stop it, as most people take those degrees under the illusion that a degree will always lead to a graduate job.
    but surely someone (real life example here..) who wants to do media and advertising at a uni that isn't even top 100....is going to realise that paying 50K to do so is a waste of money as no graduate job with that degree will ever pay enough to make it worthwhile...

I realise it won't stop the masses of people that take such degrees.....but it will most certainly stop many people...which can only be a good thing as not only would it bring value to the UK degrees...but would cost the govt less in fees which it currently pays

ReputationRep:
    And obviously allow scholarships to become more easily accessible.

This would obviously not affect those in uni right now but if a change is made, we could see the next cohort of students paying a lot of money. I don't see an actual problem with this; this money is obtained from SFE in the form of loans and which these students will pay back at a later date when they earn over £15,000.

If a cut needs to be made, it needs to be made. Sadly enough it is going to happen within the educational sector. But I really do also wish they would find other means of bringing in money, such as cutting places at unpopular courses, moving the 'Mickey Mouse' ones into colleges, cut funding in courses which are more or less 'Mickey Mouse' and closing down ex poly's which don't perform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    but surely someone (real life example here..) who wants to do media and advertising at a uni that isn't even top 100....is going to realise that paying 50K to do so is a waste of money as no graduate job with that degree will ever pay enough to make it worthwhile
    Well alot of people in our generation were told "a degree is a degree", so most of my friends don't care which university they went to or what degree they studied. As long as this fallacy is perpetuated, people will pay that kind of money to study media, yeah.

I actually know someone at Northwestern (extremely expensive, well regarded US university) who's doing television and broadcasting. I honestly don't know what to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    And obviously allow scholarships to become more easily accessible.

This would obviously not affect those in uni right now but if a change is made, we could see the next cohort of students paying a lot of money. I don't see an actual problem with this; this money is obtained from SFE in the form of loans and which these students will pay back at a later date when they earn over £15,000.

If a cut needs to be made, it needs to be made. Sadly enough it is going to happen within the educational sector. But I really do also wish they would find other means of bringing in money, such as cutting places at unpopular courses, moving the vocational ones into colleges, cut funding in courses which are more or less vocational and closing down ex poly's which don't perform.
    You realise that medicine is a vocational course? I think you're the first person I've seen to ask for less doctors!

Most of your other points would also be solved by a fee rise. This would cause people to be more selective about whether or not they want to go to university, and should reduce the number of 'micky mouse' courses and universities.

(Original post by concubine)
    I want to bash the face of everyone that says 'mickey mouse degree' in with a fire extinguisher.
    Why? We all know what it means, and they are relevant to the discussion here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    When the Browne review is announced in a few weeks, it is expected to recommend that the cap on student tuition be lifted. A study by the UCU has found that UK already has the 4th most expensive public university degrees of any developed country.

A fee rise would make our public degrees the most expensive in the world.

Link to original OCED research if anyone thinks the UCU has been selective.
    You're deceiving the people replying to this post quite maliciously by not stating the difference between public and private universities and the according fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    You realise that medicine is a vocational course? I think you're the first person I've seen to ask for less doctors!

Most of your other points would also be solved by a fee rise. This would cause people to be more selective about whether or not they want to go to university, and should reduce the number of 'micky mouse' courses and universities.

I really apologise for using the wrong wording! I should have substituted 'vocational' with Mickey Mouse. Thanks for the pointer.

ReputationRep:
    There should be more transparency about what courses actually cost to deliver, and of course the cost to the student is only part of the calculation. getting treatment on the NHS isn't really free just cos you don't have to put your hand in your wallet.
    Not saying the free market should run wild if it's going to put poor students off expensive courses but I notice no one ever seems to give a straight answer about where the money's going.

25 students on a course @ 10,000 pa tuition = three quarters of a million over 3 years. seems like a lot of money for not a lot of facetime in many cases (as pointed out above)

ReputationRep:
    A rise in fees is all well and good if the loans rise too though i suspect that won't happen and poor souls like me that come from a working class background will not be able to fund the difference between the loans and the costs and would have to drop out of her very useful teaching degree :mad: 2 years of working hard for my alevels for nothing

ReputationRep:
    Personally I can only see this as a move in the wrong direction, but hey... America seems to be doing fine with it's higher level education.

I can already see a considerable drop in the amount of teachers we'll have in the UK. But I do see how the financial department will improve as people go into these 'valuable' degrees. I also see stuff like Law becoming more common... =.=

Sciences will take an indirect hit, as it's still a rather competitive field with no huge financial bonuses. Other humanities such as human geography, philosophy, history, psychology will take an obvious hit as careers for these fields were never guaranteed a job in the first place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.