Turn on thread page Beta

UK to Have the Worlds Most Expensive Degrees watch

ReputationRep:
    It's already a rip-off. In my year there were around 250 Physics students in the year. Collectively we therefore paid over £750000. In third year we had a maximum of 4 hours lectures a week and 2-4 hours of tutorials a week. Then we also had 2 hours labs a week, collectively. Add to that the fact that most of the lecturers were rubbish and half the tutors couldn't care less about you and hardly ever marked your work, it seems we got rinsed given that the government paid a lot on top of the £3000 as our total fees. I'm glad there's a cap because if there wasn't Oxford would be able to charge more than everyone else, when the teaching is probably worse than a lot of places and the only reason the qualification is respected is because the course difficulty means that students have to put in so much work individually.

Having said that the PGCE course in Ox is amazing and almost certainly does cost more than they get paid.

Anyway, obvious solution is that useless courses shouldn't be government funded so that proper courses can be government funded. Labour was so obsessed with the arbitrary '50% go to uni, no matter how stupid some of them are' in the name of social mobility that they have sent us on a path where fees will become so extraordinary that social mobility will be far, far worse than it was 20 years ago. No doubt they will lash out against decisions to lift the cap when it is all their doing.

ReputationRep:
    Dammit. I hope I'm out of University before they bring in those fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    But that's not really a brain drain! Those brains are put to use just as well in finance or law as they are in R&D!
    Thank you Tomobola, "a brain drain" is exactly what I was referring to, thank you so much!

M_E_X, I have already addressed this point in detail. There are so many graduates who would be able to carry out finance and law roles (pretty much any degree would be suitable), and so very few who can carry out research and other technical roles. As such with science graduates draining into finance/law roles, we don't have enough people working in the science & technology sector. Most law firms are saturated with prospective laywers, whilst there are engineering firms who just can't find the workers they need no matter what they do!

If we make science degrees very expensive this situation would become even worse! You may think that law and finance are a valuable use of science graduates, but when energy companies just can't find the science graduates they need, you have to admit that having all our science graduates run off into service-sector jobs is not ideal. How can you say that all this is not a "brain drain"?

If he has a full article for his fact, or better yet a full league table of average salaries, then we could look at the correlation between that and university quality. One data point is not correlation
    There is a table for this, and if you're still interested at the end of this debate I can post it here, but I'm afraid some confusion on this issue could have arisen from the fact that I have not expressing myself correctly. I'm not referring to the average salaries of graduates at all.

Anyway, enjoy golf. If you reply tomorrow I'll give it a read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    This... And what the hell are woman studies? :rofl:
    Politics, philosophy, history, literature, but centred around gender issues. I don't really see why this was picked out as 'Mickey Mouse' considering no-one would say that the individual components are lacking in academic legitimacy or rigour.

ReputationRep:
    Will the universities be able to provide the tuition & facilities warranted by such high fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I want to bash the face of everyone that says 'mickey mouse degree' in with a fire extinguisher.
    Can I be on your team?

TBF, IF this did happen, which it won't because it will take a lot to beat, say the US, but it would not only put off people wanting to study non-traditional subjects, but people who are studying traditional subjects too. In fact, it may not even put people off studying non-traditional subjects, because they are studying something they love and are interested in - they are taking out loans and paying for it regardless. I think it would, however, make uni extremely exclusive, and by exclusive, I mean I bet most of TSR couldn't afford to go.

I suppose even if they did take the cap off, as long as the government continued to subsidise feed, it wouldn't go up by so much.

ReputationRep:
    The best services are often the more expensive ones and I fail to understand why this should be different for Universities. If our Universities are to remain great institutions, they require a great amount of funding - One can only get that funding by charging higher fees. I see no real issue with demanding greater fees for tuition at these institutions, however, I would beg that the government ensures that finance be made available to all British students who wish to study at University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    This... And what the hell are woman studies? :rofl:
    I dunno...how to be a woman or to learn about women
    *Insecure TSR guys take note...this may be for you*

it is an actual degree though...I saw it on UCAS...dunno where does it though....

might put it down as my 5th choice though.....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Scottish-Welsh high-five!
    Wooo! :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    When the Browne review is announced in a few weeks, it is expected to recommend that the cap on student tuition be lifted. A study by the UCU has found that UK already has the 4th most expensive public university degrees of any developed country.

A fee rise would make our public degrees the most expensive in the world.

Link to original OCED research if anyone thinks the UCU has been selective.
    The Browne review is in order to reduce the amount the Treasury (in other words, the government) is subsidising education. It is true that teaching one person for three years on average costs a lot more than what we currently pay, but it stands to reason that an increase in fees will put a strain on the student and might deter him from going at all.

The StudyGuys have made a video on this topic and we will be closely following and reporting on the debate as it unfurls.

(Title and first part are unrelated, but the majority is on the university fees and graduate tax debate.)

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.